It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Newby ERG question
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:25 pm 
LOST Newbie

I am new to the Liberty CRD and this forum but have been using diesels (Ford, Navistar, Duramax, VW TDI) for over a decade now. It seems, based on the forum traffic on this site that the ERG system in this critter is frequently problematic. I have tried to seach the forums to look for threads associated with the ERG system. The GM Duramax LLY engines also have the EGR system that potentially causes problems. The after market fix on this engine is to block off the exhaust gas as it goes into the cooler and fool the ECM into thinking that everything is just fine. There are two aftermarket items available 1) the blocker plate (small stainless plate to interpose between the exhaust tube and the exhaust gas cooler) and 2) an item called a finger stick (connects electrically between the EGR valve stepper motor, the MAP and the ECM to make the ECM blind to the zero exhaust gas flow). My GMC Duramax has the mod and it was pretty simple to install and certainly throws no codes. Any chance of a modification like this on the CRD? Just curious.

Doug Allen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:55 pm 
LOST Junkie

Blocking the exhaust flow should be easy. But it typically causes two codes: P0299 and P0401 if I remember right. I have no idea what gizmo you've used to fool the ECM in the Duramax, but it'd be interesting to see if it would work.

At 138k, new head & gasket, timing belt, rockers and swearing vocabulary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:49 am 
LOST Newbie

Before I installed the ECM fooler, I just unplugged the electric stepper motor that controls the EGR valve while the engine was cold. This locks the valve in a closed position but as you have suggested, codes were thrown. I eventually got around to installing the "finger stick" (pretty well desribed and discussed on the GM diesel forum, Dieselplace.com) and cleared the codes with a downloader/programmer. I will explore the possibility with the developer of the device to see if there is a possibility of a similar fix for the CRD. By the way, what would be involved in plugging the exhaust port on the the EGR?

Thanks for the reply.

Doug Allen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:07 am 
LOST Addict

doug allen wrote:
Before I installed the ECM fooler, I just unplugged the electric stepper motor that controls the EGR valve while the engine was cold. This locks the valve in a closed position but as you have suggested, codes were thrown. I eventually got around to installing the "finger stick" (pretty well desribed and discussed on the GM diesel forum, Dieselplace.com) and cleared the codes with a downloader/programmer. I will explore the possibility with the developer of the device to see if there is a possibility of a similar fix for the CRD. By the way, what would be involved in plugging the exhaust port on the the EGR?

Thanks for the reply.

Doug Allen

Could easliy see this as the eventual fix after these start falling out of warranty. Remember the EGR valve is only 1/2 the problem, also have the throttle plate that partially blocks the fresh air intake to allow some EGR gas to mix in. To plug the ports, fab some stainless plates for over the ports and remove the pipes from what I could see. The actual EGR valve is water ported, so would likely have to leave it in place.

Thankful to now be an EX-CRD owner.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:11 pm 
LOST Newbie

I have chatted online with the individual that developed the mechanism to fool the DMAX. I have no idea what the circuitry and control mechansims are for the 2.8 but he has offered to help with the circuitry that would be necessary for this application. I would need to get the electrical schematic for the ECM control of the EGR and the rest of the air intake process. While waiting for these vehicles to go out of warranty is probably a good idea, the circuit fooler application on the DMAX is virtually blind to service techs even with tech2 computer assessment of the ECM. Any interest from this group if we could come up with the device?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:52 am 
LOST Member

I am...

Bump

Yukon Rear Axles
265/75 16 TrXus M/T's and Bridgestone Revo's
Fumoto Valve
Aero Turbine 2525
Rock Lizard Komodo Bumper
Sundance Custom's Front Bumper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:24 am 
Definitely interested...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:29 am 
LOST Member

Ya-huh!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 4:09 am 
LOST Newbie

I would buy that the second it came out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:19 am 
LOST Member

Me, too.

ORM, air filter mod, and less restrictive exhaust has increased my 'everyday' driving 3 mpg.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:29 pm 
LOST Newbie

Any progress on this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:38 am 
LOST Newbie

definitely interested