It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Little CRD that couldnt.... NEW VIDEO
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:35 am 
LOST Member

Well I think my ticket has been called. I left out of the supermarket parking lot yesterday and pulled up to the red light and waited for green, got the signal and start to go as normal and then loud "gulp" sound and nothing pedel floored it wouldnt break over 1K and the whole truck was shaking to death. after dodging a few cars and making it to a spot to pull over I let idle for long enough to get the shaking ad the noise on video for the dealer to see. Shut off the engine and then let it sit for a min or two. tried to turn her over about 5 times and nothing. So went right to where I would guess the problem and took off the positive air hose from the turbo from the intercooler and then started her up with it unpluged. BINGO it started right up. turned her off and reconnected the hose and tried to start and she did. has been running fine for the last 25 miles, but I think Im going to take her in and have the dealer see if there are any code she threw, casue I did get a CEL while trying to start her before the intake hose came off.

Looking at the inside of the pos turbo hose it looks as if the oil that was in there got sucked back towards the turbo, all the oil had slicked back in and left little tracks. maybe the hose collapsed? But it wasnt that way when I parked and checked it out while it was still running?

Any thoughts?
10K on engine right now since Feb 1st 2006
VIDEO

Centerline rims 135/15 and 31x12's
"Do it in the Dirt"

Last edited by MudTrac on Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:49 am 
LOST Member

50 views and no replys? figured someone would have some insight.

"Do it in the Dirt"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:34 am 
MudTrac wrote:
50 views and no replys? figured someone would have some insight.

Still thinking... I'm puzzled for sure. Maybe the hose sucked in under load and slowly reformed durring your process of trying to restart.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:45 am 
LOST Member

It was acting like I had bad fuel. I never shut the engine off before I checked the hose the first time. and then it wasnt collapsed? I even squeezed the hose while it was acting up. Im looking for a video hosting site so i can post the video

*VIDEO ADDED IN 1ST POST

remember that this was taken from my phone so its missing like every other frame but you can hear how much different it sounded and this was before I shut it off. look at how much movement is in the engine.

"Do it in the Dirt"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:17 am 
Wow, that is severe. I never got to see it, but my CRD did this violent shaking once at idle. It was just after a start up after work when the Jeep had been in sub zero temperatures all day. Lasted 30 seconds and then smoothed out. Anti-shudder valve???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:25 am 
LOST Member

Well it was about 80deg yesterday and the engine was still warm when I started. I Was thinking maybe the boost pressure had closed the valve but wasnt quite sure how it works so i didnt want to say anything stupid. Im thinking whatever happened it stoped becasue the boost was removed and it could move action operate freely with out pressure on it. more reason to have a BOV IMHO. And a turbo timer.

I drove it like this for about a mile before I could exit off the road. No matter what position the accelerator was at the engine didnt respond any differently. Just a little beyond me to start guessing on this one right now. I dont have the CEL anymore so i dont think most those OBDII reads would pick up anything. Id need a data dump of the last so many hours of driving to read the codes it would have thrown. I would pay anything to have the computer control system of my K Series Honda. I could use my laptop to program VTEC, fuel, timing, turn on and off anything anylight, and it was hooked into the lambda sensors for full engine monitoring.

This kinda makes me not want to get the SP tunner right now.

"Do it in the Dirt"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:36 am 
LOST Addict

Mine did that right after I first bought it. Probably had 1,000 or less miles on it. Had been driving it all day just fine. Went into a store, came back out got in the CRD and left. Pulling out of the parking lot it just went haywire. Started shaking violently, wouldn't throttle past 1,000 RPM, traffic was coming and I almost got into an accident. I finally got it over into the parking lot again and stopped and it just sat there and shook violently like it was going to blow up. Reminded me of being in a manual transmission vehicle that's stuck in first gear when the engine running and the clutch engaged and you can't stop it...it just lugged and shook and scared the he** out of me. I shut it off finally because I didn't know what else to do. Then I tried to start it and it wouldn't start. I waited a few minutes and started it again and it ran perfect the next 22,000 miles. Dealer didn't have a clue. I still don't know what happened that day. But after that it ran like a scalded dog ever since. No problems. So oh well...

Good luck.

2005 Stone White KJ Limited CRD 4x4
Off-Road Pkg
Trac-Lok
Emu 790s/948s
Skyjacker H7088s rear/Bilsteins front
15x7 Black Rock Lobos/31x10.50 Firestones
GDE HOT Tune + TCM Tune
Euro TC
CB radio
Thrush Turbo muffler
AEM DryFlow filter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:58 am 
LOST Member

I was thinking of taking her to the dealer and having them check into it but is it worth the sitting time, My guess is they wont do anything about it.

"Do it in the Dirt"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:22 pm 
LOST Addict

At least go by Advance or Autozone. They'll come outside and check to see of there's any trouble codes stored for free. Computer will store a trouble code for quite a few startup cycles, even if the problem goes away and the CEL clears, before it's deleted from memory.

'05 Sport CRD Stone White
Provent CCV Filter/AT2525 Muffler
Stanadyne 30 u/Cat 2 u Fuel Filters
Fumoto Drain/Fleetguard LF3487 Oil filter
V6 Airbox/Amsoil EAA Air Filter
Suncoast TC/Shift Kit/Aux Cooler
Kennedy Lift Pump/Return Fuel Cooler

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:35 pm 
LOST Member

Yeah good idea, Ill go after work and see what I come up with.

Im suprised there are not more post with like stories and or "oh thats normal" or "one more reason to switch from CRD"

"Do it in the Dirt"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:41 pm 
LOST Newbie

Yup, same thing happened to me. Here's my original post on the issue.

http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/vie ... php?t=9055

Same resolution, turned it off for a few minutes and cranked it back up. Has been running perfect ever since.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:08 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Hey Mudtrac,

If you want to visit I have an Autoxray that will read the CRD's. I used it on my 2005 several times. We can check and see if anything is stored in the memory.

Wes

http://www.cardomain.com/id/wesbronco

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:14 am 
LOST Member

I went to Wes's last night and got the readout and only CEL was a O2 sensor?? Dont know, wasnt saying anything else about it. hasnt happened again yet. Still wondering if I should risk the SP mod or not?

"Do it in the Dirt"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:58 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Man that wobble is crazy.....

other mods coming soon...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:35 pm 
LOST Newbie

I wonder if there is air somehow getting in the fuel. My 97 powerstroke does that sometimes on startup and usually smooths itself out. A little imballance of fuel being injected would cause the engine to run rough like that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:21 pm 
LOST Addict

I have looked at the video several times and the only thing besides the rough idle I saw was the airbox was loose from the intake hose that goes to the front of the Jeep. The anti shudder valve (called EGR Flow Control Valve by D/C) is probably stuck in a partial closed position (if any intake code thrown) but it could be a bunch of bad fuel clogging the filter unless it cured itself in by restarting once or twice then it would most like be something electronic unless some water that got through the filter (unlikey) and had it rocking and rolling.

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:56 pm 
LOST Newbie

I don't think shutting it off for a few minutes and restarting would fix a problem with air in the fuel. It seems more like an electical or electronic problem to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:08 pm 
LOST Member

like I said the only code was O2 sensor. no codes on the tranny either. Im going to just make sure I idel her down long enough and let her warm up in the 90degree heat we hgave here LOL.

Yeah I couldnt get the tube to fit back on fromt he front, but its saved me a few times in high water crossing.Im sure it has nothing to do with the way the engine was behaving. Thanks for all your input, but I guess it gets filed into the "it just does that" category...?

"Do it in the Dirt"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:43 pm 
LOST Member

mine has done something like that too. I took it to the dealer, and they updated the firmware in my PCM.

245/75/16 Maxxis Buckshot Mudders

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:41 pm 
LOST Newbie

I had a simliar experience as I entered my CRD one morning, started it, and put it into drive. I pulled no more than 100 feet and sounded as if the engine froze! I was thinking to myself that this could not be happening. Popped the hood and could not find anything but as I crawled underneath, that was another story. Saw an enormous amouth of oil around the oil filter area. Pulled my oil dip stick and saw no sign of oil, on the stick at least. Called a tow truck and towed it to the dealer. After explaining to them what had happend and waiting all day, they came to a conclusion that my oil seperator was letting too much oil into the turbo and was sucking all the oil into my intake. They topped off the oil and was advised to drive it until they receive a new seperator which I wasn't very happy about doing. I questioned the dealer about the oil around my filter and responded by saying that oil ran down the side of my block and around the filter area. They still did not give me a clear answer on why my engine felt like it froze. Could it have actually froze? They said that my CRD was 2 QTs down. A few weeks earlier my EGR valve had taken a nice big S_H_I_T. Now a year later this jeep has a mind of it's own which is really on my last nerve. Couple weeks ago my EGR took a dive and didn't survive and am noticing huge amounts of oil around my oil seperator, around the turbo area where the fresh air boot is attached to, and my CAC hoses. I really don't think the EPA would be happy about this. This will be my 16th trip to the dealer and am getting to know the people on a first name basis. I don't think I can stand on something going wrong with this darn thing every single yr.