It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I have a mileage question...
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:39 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I'm almost at 60,000 miles. Probably 700 miles away from an oil change and that's guessing.

Should I have my differential fluids and my tranny fluids replace/redone?
I have no idea how much this is going to cost me and I want to upgrade to 4.10 gears but I'm not sure if I can this year or not. So with that said, do I need to have the fluids replaced or can it wait a few?

As much as I drive and since my KJ goes off-road, occasionally, I figured I should have it done. Any idea how much this might cost at the Jeep Dealerships? Because that is where I'm having it done. If this needs to be done, it will have to wait til February when I have extra money. I'm not sure on the cost. Thought I'd ask on here, so help me out people.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: I have a mileage question...
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:55 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Yes it's a good idea to have the trans serviced,new filter also.I only recommend having the trans serviced at the dealership then at least the correct fluid will be used.I only have my trans serviced at the delaership(every 15k,filters every 30k),just had it done a few days ago and ran me $156 which is actually cheaper then what teh shop I work at would charge for a ATF+4 trans service since they would have to local purchase the ATF+4.

The F/R diffs should be serviced every 12k-15k.Don't forget about the spark plugs,every 30k.The t-case is due for a service also,ATF+4,as is the PCV valve.The serp belt should be looked over real well also,any signs of wear just replace with a new EPDM serp belt(OEM or Gates are the beast) and highly adviseable to change the belt tensioner also at the same time.Don't forget about the PS fluid(ATF+4) and the brake fluid as they are the most neglected fluids in any vehicle.Also your at the 5 year mark and it's time for a coolant flush,HOAT coolant only,and best to just have the t-stat and upper/lower radiator hoses repalced at the same time.

Yeah all this is going to cost some $$$$ but it needs to be done to help prevent the really high dollar reapirs that will result from neglecting your investment.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:56 am 
LOST Newbie

I don’t know how much it can cost in a dealership, but it must be done when replacing engine oil.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:18 am 
LOST Member

At my shop we swap out the 75-90 for 75-140 and push the diff interval to 50-100k, for trans I would flush at 30 and filter at the next 30 then flush at 30 and filter at 30...ect for t case every 50k is usually a good rule. Don’t forget the brake flush due every 2years 24k miles. The easiest way to remember things is like I tell my customers just do very fluid every 2 years, Wright the fluids down and decide they in half for a bi annual schedule... for my Jeep and my wife’s I do every fluid annually but I don’t pay labor and get a discount on fluid

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:10 pm 
LOST Newbie

I do it twice a year after winter and before winter.