It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 3:40 pm 
LOST Member

We were getting ~14 mpg around town and ~17 on the highway. We had the fuel injectors flushed and now were getting ~ 17 around town and ~19 on the highway. Keep in mind this is with a Renegade model, so we have the extra weight of the skid plates and the big air dam on the roof (lights and plastic tupperware rack thing)

1997 XJ Sport - my daily driver
1995 YJ - the trail rig
1979 CJ5 - dad's toy
1966 M416 - the jeep trailer
1948 CJ2A Willys - my new project

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:44 am 
LOST Member

I just filled up again and recalculated my mpg's after I had taken it easy on the gas pedal. Any and all starts were slow/easy, and I would shift at 2K RPM. Highway speeds were kept between 90-100 Km/h (55-60MPH). The result was an increase from an average of 18 MPG to 23 MPG. This tank was about 25% highway and 75% town. Not too bad. Cheapo gas to boot.

The gas mileage does improve IF you take it easy on the take-offs and highway speeds.

N

2003 Liberty Sport
Blue w/ Gray trim
3.7L 5 Speed Manual
235/70/16 BFG MT's
65w Phillips fog light mod
AmsOil fluids end to end
SkidRow Front armor
Standard Frankenlift I & Al's U A-arms

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:01 pm 
LOST Junkie

Average from this weekend:
Tank 1 = 19.937MPG
Tank 2 = 22.108MPG
Tank 3 = 22.759MPG

still have yet to get less than 17.5 in the city...

Communications System Provided by: Cobra CB
Navigation provided by: Garmin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:14 pm 
LOST Junkie

You ought to talk to some of those guys with lifted SWB Jeeps with 35" tires & 6 & 8 cyl engines. They're lucky if they get 15 MPG.

I get 22 MPG on my stock Libby and I can comfortably drive in on the highway and trail. I also have a 4 cyl YJ on 33's that isn't at all comfortable to drive on the highway and only gets 17 MPG.

I wonder if a "performance chip" would increae our MPG's?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:47 pm 
LOST Newbie

I got back from a trip out to Ann Arbor, Michigan and at one point was getting 24mpg with my 2006 Lib. Renegade. I'm pretty happy with that. But just yesterday my fan for the heater/AC just fell out on to the passenger side floor...was like "WTF!!!" It still works but it rattled itself loose somehow. Just to give a heads up to anyone...doesn't look like a big deal to fix....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:03 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I get about 14mpg in the city, which I do almost all city driving. Too bad for me. But I just drove about 400 miles round trip to go camping and was getting between 17mpg and 18mpg. I think if I had been driving slower I would have got better milage, but the limit here is 70mph.

I have no mods and just got a tune-up and a K&N air filter. Nothing helps but if I wanted great gas milage I would have bought something other than a Jeep.

-Michelin LTX AT2's (P235/70 R16)
-tow hooks (front) D-ring (back)
-graphite tail light guards
-K&N air filter

bluegrasslost member

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:07 pm 
LOST Member

14 to 17.5 highway/city combined with driving fire roads in the timber.

I sold my 2001 3/4 ton HD Silverado 4x4. That truck was very nice. The Chevy had an 8.1 (496 V8) gas engine with an Allison electronic transmission and a 4.10 rear end. It got 8 to 9.5 with the camper including towing the boat or Wrangler and as much as 13.8 on the highway empty.

I do love and enjoy my little Libb, but it is kind of a little piggy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:02 pm 
LOST Addict

Mileage varies according to a lot of different factors as we all know.

The absolute best I can get is around 18 or so around town and 21.5 or maby a little better but that is going real easy on the skinny pedal. I have got much worse in town with a heavy foot, or on the highway going over 70.

I have a olds cutlass I drive with about the same size engine and it must weigh 1,500 pounds less and is much more aerodynamic and I have no idea what rear end gears it has but it is nowhere near 3.73. It will get 30 on the highway consistantly. I never checked the around town mileage with it. It has about 145,000 miles on it and still is peppy and runs good. But, it is not as much fun to drive and of course will never go off road.

My driving style is probably about the same with both so the difference is as some have mentioned. The weight - the gearing - the vehicle height and aerodynamics, tire type (passenger car tire vs. AT's on the KJ), etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:28 am 
Jeep-O-Caching
Jeep-O-Caching

my 05 limited gets almost 20 combined mileage but my daughters 03 limited gets around 23 combined. only differences I see is mine has the tow package and p235/65r17Kumho KR21 tires and hers has no tow and P235/70r16 Goodyear Eagle RS-A's

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:09 pm 
LOST Junkie

18.14 with 90% city driving last week...

Communications System Provided by: Cobra CB
Navigation provided by: Garmin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:52 am 
LOST Addict

KJ4ME wrote:
18.14 with 90% city driving last week...

All of that is because your jeep isn't carrying any weight, it might as well be empty :lol: :shock: :lol: :roll: :lol: :-)r :-)r :-)r :-)r

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:04 am 
LOST Junkie

we get bad milage because the liberty is almost 6000 pounds

Post subject: Re: Why does the 3.7 Liberty's MPG suck so bad ??
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:58 pm 
LOST Member

Katmandu wrote:
I've read elsewhere on the Interweb where other Liberty owners are reporting bad MPG ratings.

I managed a best of 23 MPG Highway on a 700 mile roundtrip recently. I would expect a vehicle this size/engine to be in the Mid-High 20's MPG Highway.

What are you folks seeing on yours ??

think about it your driving a brick through the air thats powered by a lawnmower engine....

coming soon: Corbeau Moab seats, JBA 6"lift

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:56 pm 
LOST Addict

Looking at it from another angle, look at the late 40's and early 50's rides you will if you look close enough . Simulare lines and just the same problems, the KJ isn't airodynamic. As many have said it's a Brick on 4 wheels. So to concour this discrepentcy, just look to new products. When I started selling Amsoil it was so new and different that many thought synthetic oil was just Snake Oil. Part of this was due to the very First Synthetic Oil was designed for the New industry known as Jet Aircraft. The biggest problem was this product was designed for Aircraft Jet Engines. Some industrious individuals procurered this new Oil off base. Which resulted in burned up and trashed automotive engines. { I know this as fact ,because my Father and his Father did such things}. Due to this when AMSOIL first came out it was shunned by many and ridiculed by more. But it did pioneer the feild, now every Oil Company and their Brothers and Sisters claim they have the best Synthetic, despite just a few years back they claimed it "Snake Oil and a scam". To those who don't see a coorelation to these statement. Just pull out your comic books and video games and don't bother, your not ready to learn and ready at the drop of a hat to blame others for your short commings. This is not an advertisement for AMSOIL, (Iv'e been there from the early days), But more of an example of the headways Amsoil and those who wish to improve their rides have made and have in mind :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

PIAA head light bulbs, Fog Light switched out to SilverStar 9005's
MagnaFlo Muffler, New Radiator, Rebuilt A/C system,Rebuilt Rear Diff, LBJ's twice
Dunlop 245/70-16 Rover AT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:37 pm 
LOST Addict

welp my KJ is pretty fat as well.. i'm running 265/75's and just one tire weighs as much as a stock tire and wheel.. so that doubled the weight and the force it takes to get them moving. However adding a K&N cold air intake and flowmaster muffler gained me back some power and mpg's 3-4.. the light bar took away another 1-2mpg.. as did the lift and full skid plates. completely stock (no lift, tires, light bar, skids) i was getting 23mpg.. now with all that rubbish i'm getting 15-17 around town and 20 on long trips. oh yeah and the 6 speed can make or break the mpg's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:38 pm 
LOST Addict

welp my KJ is pretty fat as well.. i'm running 265/75's and just one tire weighs as much as a stock tire and wheel.. so that doubled the weight and the force it takes to get them moving. However adding a K&N cold air intake and flowmaster muffler gained me back some power and mpg's 3-4.. the light bar took away another 1-2mpg.. as did the lift and full skid plates. completely stock (no lift, tires, light bar, skids) i was getting 23mpg.. now with all that rubbish i'm getting 15-17 around town and 20 on long trips. oh yeah and the 6 speed can make or break the mpg's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 8:23 pm 
LOST Member

My Libby is just FAT.

17.8 highway last tank highway
16 last tank city.

I drive it like a GRANNY :oops:

81' CJ5 Renegade with the Iron Duke, 2.5" Rusty's lift, JKS disconnects, Weber carb

RIP : 04 Liberty Sport Patriot Blue

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:13 pm 
LOST Junkie

Same reason mine sucks too. (KK). Not enough power for so much weight. 4000 some-odd lbs, and getting about 16 city, 19 highway. Also, it's a brick. The KJ's are at least 1% more aerodynamic.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/
http://www.jeepcommander.com

Last edited by nightdrv on Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:23 am 
LOST Newbie

Well I for one think they are pretty good.
Stop start yes will kill your economy.
I get approx 520km per tank with a few items on the girl.
At 520km when I fill up there are still a few litres inside, but the fuel light still has not come on.
My trip from home to work is approx 100km round trip.
Average speed 90km/h.
Using 98 ron fuel.
Fuel in Perth 2 days ago was AUD$1.32/L

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:34 pm 
LOST Member

I discovered something on my recent trip to Moab. I was getting around 17-18 MPG highway. I was not heavily loaded and not towing anything although I did have a roof rack on with a tent and chairs in it. My friend suggested that I put in the mid grade gas. We did and immediately started getting 21 MPG on the highway. It also felt like it had more power to deal with the hills and mountains. Now that I am back home, I am doing a test. I am on my second tank of regular and back to my usual 13-14 MPG (mostly city driving). When this tank is almost empty, I will fill up with the mid grade and run it a few tanks to see if there is an improvement. IF I can squeeze a couple of MPG extra by running mid grade then the additional cost will be more than covered by the savings.

Grand Cherokee TCM, Skids, Superwinch EPi 9.0 in cradle mount with 125' 5/16 Viking Trail Line, Mopar Rock Rails, Trac-Loc Diff, Frankenlift in front and Skyjacker/JBA springs out back, Monroe Reflex Shocks in rear, JBA Gen 4.5 Upper Control Arms, Moog LBJ's, 245/75/16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next