It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How Can we improve our gas milage?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:27 pm 
LOST Newbie

Anybody has suggestions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:00 am 
LOST Member

I might get slapped for saying what I gonna say :lol: ........lose the lift, that helps areo drag a bit, put lighter car spec tires on less weight on rolling mass thats less power(and gas)it takes to move, accelerate slower from a stop and just basicly slow down.

So basicly there nothing that can be done short of transplanting a CRD motor in it :D , because I know none of the above will happen :lol: .

L.O.S.T. #053490

Post subject: Some interesting links
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:06 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I don't personally vouch for any of them...just interesting...

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/autos/gasave.htm
http://peswiki.com/index.php/Directory:Fuel_Efficiency
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/drive.shtml
http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/list/top ... ticle.html

A few months ago, I did a little experiment with acetone. The improvement in fuel economy was significant, and undeniable (I instantly went from 13.8 mpg to 15.8 mpg). However, it was inconvenient to add acetone to my fuel every time I hit the gas station, and I don't have any way of knowing for certain whether there was any damage to my engine (although it is highly unlikely).

The effect of acetone in fuel is to make the fuel burn more efficiently and completely. The same can be said of fancy spark plugs, throttle body spacers, etc. Some really do improve fuel efficiency, some don't, but NONE of them will give you anywhere near the savings you get from keeping your vehicle well maintained, and slowing down a bit. (The difference in fuel economy between 65 mph and 75 mph is pretty amazing.)

You may find some of the links here interesting, also.

I hope this thread doesn't turn into a religious argument of K&N vs. TBSs vs. Magnaflow, etc., etc. :roll:

Just wheel it! :D

Formerly: 02 White Ltd 4x4 with lots of stuff...
Pics: http://troysterr.com Links & Parts: http://youngs.org/kjparts

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:19 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

If you have more than 25k on the current stock plugs replace them. Probably dosen't matter w/ what but I just used the stock ones since I paid 1.80 a piece at pepboys. The factory ones where well worn out at about 28k. Seemed to help gas mileage a bit.

Try inceasing the pressure in your tires as much as you can (within reason).

Drive like your grandmother, and maybe even a little slower. I've seen my mileage drop considerablly by just accelerating a little faster.

If you have a really blocky roof rack either take it off or design some sort of air deflector.

Take that 200lbs worth of recovery gear and tools out of the back. You probably won't need it on the way to the grocery store.

Make sure you use a quality gasoline. Usally most name brands work well for me. Just the U-Pump U-Save gas stations seem to result it lesser mileage.

Now these are things that have just worked for me. They are not gospel. Try and decide for yourself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:27 pm 
LOST Member

Cold Air Intake - about 1-2 mpg increase
Throttle Body spacer - about 1 mpg increase, plus more hp & response
new spark plugs - about 1 mpg increase

These are based upon my personal experience, and keep my other mods in mind, as they all inhibit my initial mileage (& perhaps alter the results). Lifted with armor and bigger tires/a wider track width really knocked my mpg down.

grant

07 Ram 1500 RST 5.7L LOST #584737
Regency Custom Pkg - Black leather with red baseball stitching, 22" Foose "Speedster" wheels & Pirelli Scorpions, Brushed Aluminum gauges, roll pan, dual exhaust, lowered sport-tuned suspension, 4W Baers, BedRug, power everything
http://www.cardomain.com/profile/ltwgs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:52 am 
LOST Member

There are actually ALOT more mods you can do to increase your MPG. Like changing all your lubricants to synthetics, adding an air dam, custom chip etc...

There is a man on the Explorer forums that is getting 31+ MPG out of a 99 Explorer with a 4.0 V6 engine!! NO BS!! Click on the link below and see for your self!!

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/sho ... ge=1&pp=40

2013 Wrangler Sport

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:27 pm 
LOST Newbie

Katmandu wrote:
There are actually ALOT more mods you can do to increase your MPG. Like changing all your lubricants to synthetics, adding an air dam, custom chip etc...

There is a man on the Explorer forums that is getting 31+ MPG out of a 99 Explorer with a 4.0 V6 engine!! NO BS!! Click on the link below and see for your self!!

:roll:

I agree that the air dam, intake, exhaust, cruise control, and synthetics helped... BUT.... I've got $5 that says he trailed a semi both ways to get THAT mileage at any speed over 45 or 50 mph. Or... put differently, I'll bet that he can't get that mileage doing over 60 mph without being behind something that's breaking the wind for him.
I average well over 25 mpg with my Libby pulling that trick. Put the windows up, run the AC, and tail a big semi doing ~65. Next time I do that on a long trip, I'll post the mileage #'s just to prove my point.

Luis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 7:42 am 
LOST Newbie

I added 2 mpg by removing that hulking roof rack and by leaving the overdrive on. I used to shut the overdrive off when in town to keep it in the powerband. I would probably get 1 or 2 more mpg if I didn't have the light rack on top but it looks better with it on.
Randy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:47 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Bearcatrp wrote:
I added 2 mpg by removing that hulking roof rack and by leaving the overdrive on. I used to shut the overdrive off when in town to keep it in the powerband. I would probably get 1 or 2 more mpg if I didn't have the light rack on top but it looks better with it on.
Randy

That is funny I found that if I leave the O/D off under 55 I save gas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 7:42 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I think driving habits make more difference than any bolt on.

I accelerate to the speed limit quickly, then stick to it. On dry highways I always use cruise control at the speed limit.

My EVIC is always between 18 and 19 and when I used it as my work vehicle and kept mileage records it was very accurate.

Mine's not lifted (yet - Frankenlift on order), but does have a lot of heavy add-ons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 8:43 pm 
LOST Member

Since gas prices exploded i've really watched my driving. USed to be rather spirited on the go peddle and ran the a/c alot.....and averaged about 14-15mpg, sometimes as low as 13. Tank right before prices jumped i got 19.50 mpg in ALL CITY driving WITH THE A/C. This tank i've shut off the a/c and cut way way back on my driving, and trying my hardest to not rev it over 2000 rpms, already noticing a difference. So far on this tank i've burned about 7 gallons roughly by going by the needle, divided by 150 miles driven since last fill up, gives me about 21mpg....not too shabby. Might just start driving like a granny from now on if it makes that much of a difference.

-LOST #005816
-2003 KJ Sport
-3.7L V6
-235/70/16 Bridgestone Dueler A/T REVO'S
-Factory Fogs
-Sunroof
-Custom Mounted Mag Lite
-Jeep Stainless Steel Coffee Mug
-Autozone Rubber Floor Mats

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:36 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Hard to beat driving a little slower when I just got 261miles out of my tank of 87oct fuel. NO K&N, NO WEIGHT TAKEN OFF THE KJ, RENNI ROOF BASKET STILL IN PLACE. Set the cruise control between 65-70 and let her ride.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:41 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Tightwadsjeeper wrote:
I average well over 25 mpg with my Libby pulling that trick. Put the windows up, run the AC, and tail a big semi doing ~65.
Luis

There is no doubt you can get better mileage drafting behind a semi, the problem is the rocks you can pick up in your winshield-- Allready have 2 fixes in my other vehicles- and it was from normal driving, no tailgating the semis.

31x9.5 SS TSLs!
Detroit Truetrac/Powertrax
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2062875

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 2:10 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

No trailing a semi. Still doing the same thing as before setting the cruise between 65-70. I put gas in this morning after I had gotten 281 miles out of the tank add the EVIC said I still had 15 miles left.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:48 am 
LOST Newbie

Please don't tailgate my big-rig freinds...it's very unsafe - have you ever seen a trailer tire explode at 65mph? The rocks are the least of your problems..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 4:52 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Over Labor day I took a little road trip from Toledo (home for now) down across Ohio to Marietta (Southeastern part) on into West Virginia over Route 50 East through into Maryland and on into D.C. to pick up my wife then back up through Pa. / Ohio to home. Had the cruise on most of the way at 70 (PLUS) mph and averaged 23.64for the whole trip. Lot of hills along the way. Had roof rack off but had all my tools along to bulid a deck for my sister in Marietta plus clothes. I think taking all the badging off gave me another mile per gallon! HA!! I thought that was pretty decent for the states I went through, plus the dang D.C. traffic!.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:54 pm 
LOST Member

skogsemt wrote:
Please don't tailgate my big-rig freinds...it's very unsafe - have you ever seen a trailer tire explode at 65mph?
Yes! I was driving a motorcycle right next to a semi's rear tires and one blew out! Scared the living **** out of me!

2013 Wrangler Sport

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:32 pm 
LOST Junkie

m0th wrote:
My EVIC is always between 18 and 19 and when I used it as my work vehicle and kept mileage records it was very accurate.

I've found that since installing an EVIC in my Libby I'm much more aware of my driving habits. I watch the MPG like a hawk.
To get better mileage I may remove the roof basket and empty out all of my excess baggage.
But then again if I really wanted better mileage I would have bought an Echo :lol:
they don't come in a 4WD version do they? :?

my trail queen
95 YJ with a RE 4" lift, 33" ProComp Extreme's, M8000 Winch, Lockrite Locker up front, Super35 in the rear and 4.88 gears

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:58 pm 
LOST Member

Katmandu wrote:

Skeptical!

In my opinion there are two possibilities here. 1. He's not getting 30mpg. 2. He's doing something he's not telling us, like drafting behind a semi at dangerous distances for 90% of his highway only trips.

I do almost everything he does (less the full synthetics and air dam) and I get gas mileage increases measured in fractions of a percent. I've been reading articles about some of the new technology for cars coming up. Bottom line: Car companies are spending BILLIONS in research for increases in fuel economy measuring from 2 to 5%. Again, that's 2 - 5%. Think about that. Billions of dollars invested to get an extra .8 to 3 mpg (depending on your base mileage, of course).

There's a new research push to recycle exhaust heat into electricity for cars, some mfg's claiming they *might* go live with this technology in 2014. Think about that. 2014. They're expecting economy increases of 5%. Meaning if I took their billion dollar idea, I'd get .85mpg higher than what I'm getting now.

If it's too good to be true...

04 3.7 Sport.
Auto Trans
Yokohama Geolandar AT/S 235/70/R16
Garmin GPS on RAM Mount

Mileage Trend: