It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ACETONE to Increase Fuel Mileage by 6.6 to 23.9% !!
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:34 am 
LOST Member

Before you debunk this as BS. Do some research!!

There has been thorough testing done. NO it is NOT corrosive (in this ratio) to your fuel system!

There are MANY discussions in several different forums about this practice!

This site below seems to be the MAIN site for Acetone discussions....

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/pes_acetone/

2013 Wrangler Sport

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:33 pm 
LOST Member

Here is another MUST READ site on Acetone's effect on Fuel Mileage.

http://www.pureenergysystems.com/news/2 ... 9_Acetone/

2013 Wrangler Sport

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:50 pm 
LOST Member

From the Above listed website...

Quote:
How it Works

Acetone
A colorless, volatile liquid with a sweet odor. It is considered the least toxic solvent in industry. It can occur naturally. It is used in the production of lubricating oils, chloroform, pharmaceuticals, pesticides, paints, varnishes and lacquers. If present in water, it is more likely to volatilize or biodegrade before bioaccumulating or adsorbing to sediments. Acetone will also readily volatilize and biodegrade in soil. It is also a common laboratory contaminant, so its presence in a sample does not always indicate its presence in the environment. Synonyms - Dimethylketone and 2-propanone.
-- Environmental Terms Glossary
(U.S. Military)

Complete vaporization of fuel is far from perfect in today's cars and trucks. A certain amount of residual fuel in most engines remains liquid in the hot chamber. In order to be fully combusted, the fuel must be fully vaporized.

Surface tension presents an obstacle to vaporization. For instance the energy barrier from surface tension can sometimes force water to reach 300 degrees Fahrenheit before it vaporizes. Similarly with gasoline.

Acetone drastically reduces the surface tension. Most fuel molecules are sluggish with respect to their natural frequency. Acetone has an inherent molecular vibration that "stirs up" the fuel molecules, to break the surface tension. This results in a more complete vaporization with other factors remaining the same. More complete vaporization means less wasted fuel, hence the increased gas mileage from the increased thermal efficiency.

That excess fuel was formerly wasted past the rings or sent out the tailpipe but when mixed with acetone it gets burned, though the engine still thinks it is running straight gas.

Additive: changes the specifications of the base it is added to

Acetone allows gasoline to behave more like the ideal automotive fuel which is PROPANE. The degree of improved mileage depends on how much unburned fuel you are presently wasting. You might gain 15 to 35-percent better economy from the use of acetone. Sometimes even more.

2013 Wrangler Sport

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:05 am 
LOST Newbie

I'm on my first tank with acetone.

I just changed my plugs, so I may see a dual benifit. Either way, I was originaly getting over 19mpg (City). On this tank I can already feel a difference in low-end which means less pedal and better economy, but that may just be the performance plugs I used (or a combo). :lol:

In a month or two, I'll repost with my acetone findings.

Thanks for posting, I think more people should look into acetone. The only challenge will be not to spill it on your paint. :wink:

Lost #000692 - Houston Tx
02 KJ 4x4 Limited - Black
Mods: K&N
Next Mod: Whatever I can afford!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:51 pm 
LOST Newbie

Just put in my first dose of acetone as well. I read a LOT of stuff prior to doing it, and there was stuff all over the web, and some posted on pretty authoritative sites run by oil and gas organizations. All was favorable. I also read lots of posts by people who have tried it, and all was favorable.

With the Liberty's computer, it should be pretty easy to tell how fast this stuff works. You can bet if it does, acetone is going in everything I own!

I don't own any economy cars, believe you me. All Jeeps and a full size van. And if I can boost my motorhome's mileage by a couple MPG, I will be ecstatic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:05 am 
LOST Newbie

Original Bigfoot wrote:
With the Liberty's computer, it should be pretty easy to tell how fast this stuff works. You can bet if it does, acetone is going in everything I own!

You'll want to take your measurments the "old school" way. In this case the on board computer will not help you determine an increase in economy. This is because it's watching things like speed, maybe rpm, and throttle position.

So good luck and let us know what you're getting after three tanks of gas. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:46 am 
LOST Newbie

You don't think the onboard computer will be able to tell the difference? I would think if it was detecting throttle position, it should be able to tell if you are using less throttle to maintain the same speed. Granted, I often figure out my mileage using miles traveled and gas used after a fill-up, and on occasion, it showed I was getting about a half MPG better than what the computer showed.

I would also think the mileage indicator would have to use some sort of vacuum input as well, which is supposed to be the best indicator of economy. I remember my step-mother having a station wagon that was a late 70's or early 80's model that had a big guage that determined fuel economy. This thing was as big as the speedometer. I don't remember it stating the actual mileage, just "good" and "poor", and the needle would swing one way or the other based on how hard you mashed the skinny pedal.

So far, I have only driven about 7 miles with the acetone, so no data yet... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 11:43 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I experimented with acetone for about 8-10 tanks a few months ago. I didn't do it very scientifically, but here are my observations:

• I was driving about 12 miles each way to work, 1/2 highway, 1/2 surface roads. Average fuel economy went from 13.8 mpg to 15.8.
  • During the time I was testing, I intentionally drove with a heavy right foot, to make sure I wasn't increasing my fuel economy unconsciously by driving slower. (Also, I was enjoying the smoother acceleration :). Idling was noticably smoother, also.)
  • I averaged 17mpg on one tank, when I did actually attempt to drive somewhat more conservatively.
  • Freeway driving: I normally average about 17mpg. Acetone didn't have much of an effect.
  • I had acetone in my fuel during Moab '05. I was amazed to find that I averaged over 14mpg on the trail. Normally I'm lucky to get 10mpg.

The principal behind acetone use is that it helps fuel to burn more efficiently, and my testing supports that notion. The fact that I didn't see much improvement on the highway (LilMatty had the same experience) suggests to me that the 3.7L V6 is already pretty efficient at highway speeds, so the acetone wasn't needed. It's when you're idling and accelerating that you really feel the difference.

Corollary: Fuel-saving techniques like acetone, better spark plugs, keeping tuned, TBSs, air intakes, etc., are probably NOT additive...IOW, once you've maximized the burning efficiency of your fuel, additional attempts to increase the efficiency will probably have no effect.

My only concern with acetone is that even its proponents have indicated that it may reduce the lubricity of motor oil, and they have suggested using oil additives to protect against it. I stopped adding acetone until I can get more information on that issue. (Or until gas hits $3/gallon...oh, wait, it's already done that!!! :x)

Formerly: 02 White Ltd 4x4 with lots of stuff...
Pics: http://troysterr.com Links & Parts: http://youngs.org/kjparts

Post subject: I want to try this
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 4:52 pm 
LOST Newbie

I read quite a bit about using acetone for MPG increases. The people on a ford explorer message board had many different experiences with it. Some have been using it for years.

One guy used 2oz to 10 gal and got a 12mpg jump after 4 tanks. He used other modifications as well. However, others got no increase in MPG.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/sho ... 2Bgasoline

I was worried about all the talk of engine and fuel system hazards. But most of that has to be pure crap because of the fact that for acetone to eat cheap rubber and plastic, then nail polish remover bottles would be melting on store shelves. Also, acetone is found in some off-the-shelf fuel additives. And gasoline is more damaging to rubber (natural) than acetone.

I'm going to give this a try after running a tank of regular 87 for a baseline. I wonder if the ethanol at the local filling stations will prevent me from seeing gains, and I don't know if there are any non-ethanol stations around.

I've read that most suggest 3oz to 10 gal as optimal so that's what I'll probably use. Thats somewhere around 460:1. I'll report back in the future.

LOST Mid-Atlantic #071463
-----------------------------------
2K5 3.7L Sport in Patriot Blue w/ bug deflector
+ slush mats + JVC 12 Disc changer and HU
---------------
Coming Eventually:
Custom built fiberglass enclosure with two 12" 1000W DHD subs and one 12" 400W Orion sub with an 1800W Legacy amp and a 600W Boss amp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:59 pm 
LOST Newbie

Don't get me wrong. I like using my OBC, but for accuracy I wouldn't recomend it. I havent dug into the KJs innards enough to determine if the OBC uses vacume or macanical data points or a little of both. I'm sure some of the gear heads on here would know and be happy to inform us. I tend to agree that it MIGHT pick up fairly large variances in economy, but after seening 2-3 mpg deltas, I'm going to be leary of it. So, I'm going to write down what my OBC says along with my log book. This time it was pretty close (14.8mpg).

Well, I think I've been too happy with the results of my new plugs. I got right at 14.23mpg on my first tank with acetone compared to 19+ with old plugs and no acetone. Most likely my lead foot. :lol: I'll have to run multiple takes though to get a better picture.

As for the corrosion issue, thats why they recomend using ratios on the acetone project page and not xAmount of Oz, CCs, etc. to a given amount of fuel. The ratio of dilution should be more than enough to not affect the engine. Interesting comment about acetone's potential affect on oil. Makes sense, so to be safe, don't go changing your dino oil every 10K+ miles. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:26 pm 
LOST Newbie

I understand what you mean about the OBC. I don't know how accurate it can be either. I wasn't questioning your judgement or anything like that, sorry if I came across wrong. :)

What I had meant to include with that last post I made about the station wagon with the "Economy" gauge, was that I remember the service tech telling my stepmother about the guage being just a vacuum guage. All it did was monitor vacuum, and when you were lead-footing it, it would swing to "Poor"...

I had a 1965 International Scout that did the same thing, only the "economy guage" was the vacuum operated windshield wipers....when I lead footed it, the wipers would stop, mid-swing, wherever they were on the windshield.. :lol:

It was pretty cool, you could turn on or off each of the two wipers individually, so they didn't swing in unison, either. One might stop halfway up the window, and the other might have been all the way up or down...

As for the acetone thing, I believe I am seeing some increase in mileage.

The first day after I put in acetone, the mileage went up from 17.4 to over 19.

Overall, it is hard to tell so far. My fiance' has been driving the Liberty more lately, and she has a lead foot. After a couple swings around town with her driving, the mileage drops a couple MPG, then I have to drive it a day or so to bring it back up...

Overall, in mixed town, and rural highway, mileage, I have seen about a half mile per gallon increase, which I have to believe would be more if the fiance' would keep her foot out of it!

I will be making my first highway trip (since the acetone) to Albuquerque in a couple days. I will be interested in seeing the result.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:44 pm 
LOST Newbie

Original Bigfoot wrote:
I understand what you mean about the OBC. I don't know how accurate it can be either. I wasn't questioning your judgement or anything like that, sorry if I came across wrong. :)

Not a prob, I didn’t' take it that way. :D

I do remember seeing vacuum based economy lights on school busses and the like. I think the only way to truly get a device to accurately measure your economy it would have to be able to measure gpm off or your fuel supply line along with a real-time read of the odometer, but a higher precision that just a tenth of a mile. :)

I'm about half way through my second tank. So far I'm not seeing an improvement, but actually, my economy is down to about 14.5mpg. Of course, all my driving is in town (to and from work) and I spend lost of time sitting at lights with the A/C cranked. However, my idle is much smoother, power is better, and in stead of a choaking smell coming from my exhaust I now have the faint sweet smell of paint thinner! 8) I figure someone behind me will appriciate that!!!

Post subject: Seems to be working on first tank
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 6:39 pm 
LOST Newbie

The preliminary results are in:

Baseline gas mileage with 70% highway, 30% city driving and some AC use
around 300 miles was 18.20 mpg.

With 4oz acetone during 60% highway, and 40% city driving for around 340 miles was 20.58 mpg.

That is a 13% increase in gas mileage from 4 oz of acetone. Acetone can be had a wal-mart for ~$12/gal. That's 9.375 cents per oz or 37.5 cents for 4 oz. If I applied the gas mileage to the total fuel in the tank then I'd have probably gone 18.2 x 20.5(tank capacity) = 373.1 mi on tank 1 and 20.58 x 20.5(tank capacity) = 421.89 mi on tank 2. So I can gain about 48.79 miles on the same amount of fuel by adding the acetone.
That's over 2 gallons of gas saved that @ $3 each would cost over $6. The investment, including a measuring cup (60 cents), funnel (~$1), cheap fuel additive for bottle use (~$1) , and Acetone (~40 cents worth used) easily pays for itself on the first use. Over as few as three uses, the cost of all the implements and a gallon of acetone could be made up for. A single gallon of acetone would be useful for up to 32 tanks. At this rate of savings, that would be up to 6 x 32= $192 (minus those intial costs of acetone and implements).

I will be running another 4 oz tank and posting the results as I have heard that the mpg spikes on the second or third tank using acetone.

I feel a better power response and smoother idle right after fill up, but then I can't really notice it as much in the middle or at the end of the tank of gas. This may, of course, be a placebo effect.

I've discovered that acetone eats #6 plastic rapidly. That means it will etch this plastic within seconds. Because of this I'm going to have to get a different measuring cup. However, the acetone doesn't harm #1 plastic at all. This is the plastic used for cheap gasoline additive bottles. Cheap plastic funnels seem to be unaffected as well. This leads me to question whether acetone is much more harmful to plastics and rubbers than gasoline.

I'm beginning to suspect that rumors of the threat it poses to plastic and rubber are a might bit overstated. By the way, #6 is just about the cheapest and crappiest plastic ever. It is the clear, brittle, acrylic type plastic used in crappy food containers.

The tube type funnels sold at wal-mart will leak fluid around the connection to the hose. Your best bet is to use a measuring cup to pour the acetone through a normal type funnel into a fuel additive bottle. The bottle will only be about 1/3 full (if using 4oz) so that splashing or leaking is unlikely.

Despite the savings, if there is damage to the fuel system, then I don't think that the use of acetone is justifiable. I don't know of any proof of harm to the fuel system however. Also, the mixture ratio I'm using is somewhere less than 1 oz of acetone to every 640 oz of gasoline, and I feel pretty confident that at such a low molality, the acetone's deleterious effects (if any) are probably inconsequential.

Stay tuned for my second experimental tank!

---------------
Coming Eventually:
Custom built fiberglass enclosure with two 12" 1000W DHD subs and one 12" 400W Orion sub with an 1800W Legacy amp and a 600W Boss amp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 7:33 pm 
LOST Newbie

I feel a need to reiterate. DON'T USE THE FUNNEL WITH A HOSE. It will leak out of the area where the hose meets the funnel when you don't expect it.

That said,
If splashed on the paint, acetone WILL NOT NECESSARILY HARM IT. If splashed on your plastics, acetone WILL NOT NECESSARILY HARM IT.
I know this because I did it accidentally. It evaporated before I could wipe it off the surfaces. The paint was fine, and I'm assuming this was due to the clearcoat. It also didn't discolor, cloud, or harm the plastic fender it landed on. That said, I never want to get it on the car again and I have begun using additive bottles to prevent any future leaks or splashing.

---------------
Coming Eventually:

Post subject: Update
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 6:18 am 
LOST Newbie

I'm still on the second acetone tank now, and the mileage doesn't look that improved thus far, but you can't tell until you fill up. I'm guessing I hadn't tightened the gas cap because I began to smell acetone around the rear of the vehicle and in the vehicle with the vents on during parking lot maneuvers. With some tightening of the gas cap the smell did go away though. However, I did freak when I smelled it.

---------------
Coming Eventually:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:27 pm 
LOST Newbie

I wish I had the same result as you have had thus far. I'm seeing an opposite affect. 90 - 95% in town driving before acetone yielded over 19mpg. With acetone I dropped to a little better than 14mpg.

Since this was after I changed the spark plugs I was suspecting that the factory-set gap on the new plugs might be to blame. In stead of checking or changing the gap I dropped the acetone and bingo - back up to almost 18mpg on the very next tank. I'm going to run without acetone for the next two or three tanks to get a new average.

I'm past time for a fuel rail cleaning so that might have something to do with it too. Pep-boys wouldn't sell me the can of pressurized (would only sell to an automotive business) cleaner and there is no freaking way I'm going to pay the stupid dealer 200+ bucks to do it. :evil: So, I had my dad bring my fuel rail cleaning kit over from Louisiana when he and my mom evacuated for Rita. Now all I need to do is find a new source for the cleaner and get some. It should be about 10 - 20 bucks for enough to clean a single v6. Once I get that done I'll re-test with acetone and post an update...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:11 pm 
LOST Member

I decided to give this experiment a try. Problem is I don't have a plastic bottle tough enough to transport the stuff from my house to the gas station. The bottle I put it in earlier has just about liquified at now half an hour later...LOL. Any suggestions? Would glass work?

-LOST #005816
-2003 KJ Sport
-3.7L V6
-235/70/16 Bridgestone Dueler A/T REVO'S
-Factory Fogs
-Sunroof
-Custom Mounted Mag Lite
-Jeep Stainless Steel Coffee Mug
-Autozone Rubber Floor Mats

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 4:29 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

2003KJ wrote:
I decided to give this experiment a try. Problem is I don't have a plastic bottle tough enough to transport the stuff from my house to the gas station. The bottle I put it in earlier has just about liquified at now half an hour later...LOL. Any suggestions? Would glass work?

Glass will work. Or you can just got to walgreen and pick up the cheapest bottle of nail polish remover. After all nail polish remover is just acetone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 11:13 pm 
LOST Member

Well i already got the 32oz can from HD today. I'll drink a Sobe tomorrow and use that bottle. Thanks!

-LOST #005816
-2003 KJ Sport
-3.7L V6
-235/70/16 Bridgestone Dueler A/T REVO'S
-Factory Fogs
-Sunroof
-Custom Mounted Mag Lite
-Jeep Stainless Steel Coffee Mug
-Autozone Rubber Floor Mats

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 3:16 pm 
LOST Member

Just finished off my first tank. Before I was getting 13.8mpg in mostly city driving. After adding th acetone, I got 15.2mpg. I almost immedietly noticed the engine running smoother at idle. Applying power seemed to be smoother. Can't say as I could really detect a major increase in power though. I bought the 32oz can from Wally world and also picked up a small funnel and a small measuring glass(6oz). I tried storing it in a STP plastic bottle but it was almost eaten through in about 20minutes.I fill up really close to home, so for now I am just fillling up and then coming home and adding the Acetone. My father in law is trying this as well. He is using a glass louisianna pepper sauce container to store the acetone in. I haven't found out what kind of increase in mileage he has gotton in his VUE.

Grand Cherokee TCM, Skids, Superwinch EPi 9.0 in cradle mount with 125' 5/16 Viking Trail Line, Mopar Rock Rails, Trac-Loc Diff, Frankenlift in front and Skyjacker/JBA springs out back, Monroe Reflex Shocks in rear, JBA Gen 4.5 Upper Control Arms, Moog LBJ's, 245/75/16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs.