It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:39 am 
LOST Addict

An update from anyone using this would be nice. I have tried it and noticed some improvements myself. Even made the lawnmower run better :lol: Has anyone tried this with a diesel, what are the results for you?

06 CRD Sport
Built 5/11/06
Jeep Green
Rocklizard diff cover
V6 Airbox

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:15 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

This quote is from a chemistry forum that head a thread on the subject. Yes I said chemistry forum...yeah I'm a nerd...sue me! :P

Quote:
Re:Acetone mixed with Gasoline
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2006, 10:08:28 PM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Actually to all:

The vapor/surface tension "thing" just doesn't hold up for about 12.5 reasons (basic, surfactant chemistry). :"They" had the same "discussion" back in the 80/90s when gas was expensive (supposedly) and catalytic converters and oxygen sensors were starting to come in to use.

FYI: The acetone is reacting with the catalyst used in the oxygen sensor making the mixture appear" too rich. As a result - the mixture is leaned out by the computer thus the mileage goes up.

The reason it does not work the same on all cars is that there are three different metals used as catalysts in O2 sensors: platinum palladium rhodium or in combination. Acetone in combination with NOx (and others) in the exhaust will react differently with each metal to either speed up or slow down the catalytic reaction of the oxygen senor. FYI, I am not talking about the catalytic converter - just to stop about 100 posts.

Question: am I the only one on the planet who remembers this? There seems to be a lot of people skiing behind the "vaporization" boat?

The reason I know this is that I used to work for Exxon; and fyi, the reason they don't put acetone in gas is that it is hard to get it to stay there and second over time it reacts with different kinds of additives in fuel. Which is also a reason why it does not work on some cars - it's the gas not the car.

They have had additives in the past with acetone - old news. It is good that it works though! It simply had gotten more news because of the historic price of gas.

Also, this is why ASME standards for elastomers used in cars requires (heavily suggests) that all elastomers be tested with acetone - along with other (i.e . MTBE, M85 ...) Once again, very old (but good) news (remembrances)

Here is a link to that forum thread. http://www.chemicalforums.com/index.php ... eadid=2517

John
];')

My Wheeling Videos :JEEPIN:
My Mods, Upgrades and Custom Fabrications

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:59 pm 
LOST Junkie

i gained as much by using 2.5 oz/gal of acetone than i did when i changed to all synthentic oil in my drive train. both improved mileage by 1.5 mpg.

you can feel and hear the difference how it makes your engine run smoother. why on earth wouldnt you do this?

also, just pick up one of the wife's old nail polish remover bottles. has a long neck so never a drip and doesnt eat thru ever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:15 pm 
LOST Member

What are you guys using for acetone and where are you getting it? ... I think its supposed to be 100% pure to really see effects. Apparently even the bottles that say 100% arn't always pure. I got one from CVS the other day that said 100% but also had denatonium benzoate in it?

Check this out... http://www.lubedev.com/smartgas/additive.htm
Different subjects here but same guy... http://www.lubedev.com/articles/

Flowmaster Super 40 Series (GONE, SO QUIET!)
245/75/16 Kumho KL-78 w/ Spidertraxxxxx
Ripped out the plastic inner wheel liners
Herculined ALLLL over.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:50 pm 
LOST Newbie

I used standard acetone, from Home Depot, and after burning through a whole quart, over many tanks of gas, the final outcome was.... No change. I doubt that having 100% pure acetone versus 98% or whatever you buy, would make any difference at all, since you're adding it to gasoline anyway. If someone says you've got to use 100% clinically pure acetone, then they're just trying to blow smoke up your stupid and prolonging this myth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:02 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hmm, figured I'd pipe up something no one else has mentioned.

Maybe those people that are seeing an improvement in mileage, are gaining benefits from the "cleaning" ability of the Acetone. Kind of like how when you put a bottle of Seafoam into the tank on a gummed up old engine, you see a mileage increase...

I also think, that a lot of people doing this test, should test different types of gasoline from different stations... Don't see much data on that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:51 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

As far as different gas goes, my Liberty for some reason runs the best on the cheapest crap I can put in the tank. I use the Kwik-Fill (convenience store) gas most often, but when I use Hess, Mobil or Sunoco, I lose a little mileage and power. Not very noticeable, but noticeable to me.

DynoMax Ultra Flow SS Muffler
Amsoil Ea "Absolute Efficiency" Air Filter
Nokian Vatiiva 235/70/R16 Tires
Pixeldzn's "RENEGADE" decals
Support the 2nd Amendment - It's your right!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:31 pm 
LOST Newbie

Update: Well, I've not used Acetone for over a year now. I'm about to go back to it simply because it seems to do a good job of cleaning out the crap in the system and my city mileage is down to 11. I’ve got a to-do list to work on now: my idle has been getting pretty rough and my steering wheel shakes when I brake. So, new plugs, and a close break inspection are on the list… :roll:

Now, I don't know if this was related to the acetone, but several months after I stopped adding acetone, I started having major problems keeping the engine running. The crappy shop :evil: I took it to didn't catch the root cause, so I bought a vacuum gauge and took a look myself. Sure enough, I had several sections of hose that had split almost in half. 8)

Anyway, once I get the honey do's done, I'll repost with any possitive acetone findings.

Lost #000692 - Houston Tx
02 KJ 4x4 Limited - Black
Mods: K&N
Next Mod: Whatever I can afford!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:50 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Now, I don't know if this was related to the acetone, but several months after I stopped adding acetone, I started having major problems keeping the engine running. The crappy shop I took it to didn't catch the root cause, so I bought a vacuum gauge and took a look myself. Sure enough, I had several sections of hose that had split almost in half.
It sure was,soon your fuel lines,injectors,fuel pump could do the same,more so if you start using that junk again.A properly maintained vehicle doesn't need snake oil junk that ends up costing you more money in the long run.Keep the maintance up and you'll be fine.KJ's are not for mpg's by the way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:52 pm 
LOST Member

Alright, well after running two non consecutive treatments of Regane (about 30 days apart), an Auto-RX cleaning cycle, changing out the plugs for Autolite Platinums, Amsoil drop in air filter, and running Top Tier gas for the last 3 months, I had my in town mileage up to 13.3 from right at 12. I decided to give Acetone a shot again since I seemed to have good results before with it. I added 3.5 ounces to 18.5 gallons of fuel. I haven't finished a tank yet, but I can say that I am 50 miles ahead at the same point on the fuel gauge as I was without the acetone. If the trend continues, I expect to get an extra 100 miles from this tank of gas.

Grand Cherokee TCM, Skids, Superwinch EPi 9.0 in cradle mount with 125' 5/16 Viking Trail Line, Mopar Rock Rails, Trac-Loc Diff, Frankenlift in front and Skyjacker/JBA springs out back, Monroe Reflex Shocks in rear, JBA Gen 4.5 Upper Control Arms, Moog LBJ's, 245/75/16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:24 am 
LOST Member

Very nice, and where did you get this acetone. I remember reading somewhere that it had to be really pure like 100% or don't bother.

Flowmaster Super 40 Series (GONE, SO QUIET!)
245/75/16 Kumho KL-78 w/ Spidertraxxxxx
Ripped out the plastic inner wheel liners
Herculined ALLLL over.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:18 am 
LOST Member

I've read that as well. I got mine from Walmart in the paint section. It may not be 100%, but it seems to work OK for me. I also found a 4-oz, glass measuring shot cup that was graduated in .5 oz increments in Wally World that I use for measurement. I may eventually go with something a little more accurate.

Grand Cherokee TCM, Skids, Superwinch EPi 9.0 in cradle mount with 125' 5/16 Viking Trail Line, Mopar Rock Rails, Trac-Loc Diff, Frankenlift in front and Skyjacker/JBA springs out back, Monroe Reflex Shocks in rear, JBA Gen 4.5 Upper Control Arms, Moog LBJ's, 245/75/16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:35 pm 
LOST Member

Just wanted to bump this to see who is still running acetone heading into the winter. Anyone running acetone notice a drop in mpg in recent weeks?

-Liberator door handles