It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:29 pm 
LOST Member

LOL yeah i used a STP bottle too, and it darn near liquified in 20 minutes....LOL

I put it in a snapple glass bottle today. had a quarter tank left at fill up, added the acetone first, then the gas. Noticed by the time i got home the idle has smoothed out a bit and it does seem like its got some pep to it. We'll see what results I get in about a week.

-LOST #005816
-2003 KJ Sport
-3.7L V6
-235/70/16 Bridgestone Dueler A/T REVO'S
-Factory Fogs
-Sunroof
-Custom Mounted Mag Lite
-Jeep Stainless Steel Coffee Mug
-Autozone Rubber Floor Mats

Post subject: More results
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 1:48 am 
LOST Newbie

Tank 2 with acetone (4 ounces):
I got 18.37mpg in 100% city driving.
That's lower than my baseline of mainly highway driving (18.2)

RESULTS SO FAR:
18.20 baseline gasoline highway/city mix
20.58 acetone (4oz total) highway/city mix
18.37 acetone (4oz total) city only

If you need a good bottle to store the acetone try the very cheap supertech fuel additive bottles. You can grab one at wal mart for a little over 90 cents and dump the additive in someone elses tank (preferably someone you know). I know it won't get eaten by it cause I have had acetone in one for a few weeks without incident. UPDATE: The bottle is beginning to deform slightly after four weeks with acetone stored in it. Maybe I shoud try those OUTLAW fuel additive bottles that are made from metal.

The engine is still performing powerfully and smoothly. I have noticed that the engine sounds a little rough on startup (but I'm honestly starting to forget what is sounded like pre-acetone). However, it runs fine and feels powerful. I didn't tighten the gas cap all the way and could smell acetone all around the vehicle exterior and a little bit inside as well until I tightened it to completely. The engine temp is just a hair lower than when I used just gasoline.

I only added 3 ounces for the last tank because I had a quarter tank left which should have contained about an ounce of residual acetone.

My next tank will be 2oz of acetone total which I will follow with a final gasoline-only (as much as possible) baseline.

Acetone undoubtedly does improve my MPG to the point that I get better city mileage with it, than I got on the highway without it. However, I was only saving $6 at $3/gal for gas at best so far. Gas prices are beginning to fall. Also, if I'm doing some kind of damage to my engine or fuel system, then it wouldn't be worth it in the long run. I'm not convinced that I am doing any damage, but I admit it would be hard to tell. I saw a mention of a reduction in oil lubricity due to the use of acetone in this thread, but I haven't seen anything about that on any other forum.

My question: Why aren't fuel systems designed to handle acetone from the factory? Why isn't it already in gasoline?

LOST Mid-Atlantic #071463
-----------------------------------
2K5 3.7L Sport in Patriot Blue w/ bug deflector
+ slush mats + JVC 12 Disc changer and HU
---------------
Coming Eventually:
Custom built fiberglass enclosure with two 12" 1000W DHD subs and one 12" 400W Orion sub with an 1800W Legacy amp and a 600W Boss amp

Post subject: Re: More results
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:39 pm 
LOST Newbie

freetolio wrote:
My question: Why aren't fuel systems designed to handle acetone from the factory? Why isn't it already in gasoline?

Technically speaking, the fuel system can already handle it... Perhaps, I'm missing the meat of your question. :)

Think of it this way... Why would the Oil companies want to increase efficiency, then they would make less money. Thanks to emissions control they started using methanol, but methanol has a habit of drying out seals and o-rings on older cars. I'm not sure how well the newer plastics can stand up to it...

I just carry my acetone in the metal can it came in and use a Jagermeister glass with a 1oz mark to poor it into my tank... I just have to be careful not to spill it down the side of my truck or jeep. The only draw back to the 1oz glass is that my diesel has a 44 gallon tank. :lol:

Lost #000692 - Houston Tx
02 KJ 4x4 Limited - Black
Mods: K&N
Next Mod: Whatever I can afford!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 2:36 pm 
LOST Member

Just filled up after my third tank running acetone. 17.3 mpg, woohoo. That is a huge increase over the 13.8 mpg that I was getting on plain old gas. This was mostly city driving. The funny thing is that I didn't baby it the way I was when I was getting 13.8 mpg. That is a serious increase in mileage. I couldn't be happier. The mixture ratio was 2.5 oz to 10 gallon. I also found some NOS octane booster at Autozone that comes in an aluminum can and has a screw-on funnel that will be perfect for adding the acetone at fill ups. I put the bosster in the wifes Tribute and will add the acetone to the can on the way to fill up.

Grand Cherokee TCM, Skids, Superwinch EPi 9.0 in cradle mount with 125' 5/16 Viking Trail Line, Mopar Rock Rails, Trac-Loc Diff, Frankenlift in front and Skyjacker/JBA springs out back, Monroe Reflex Shocks in rear, JBA Gen 4.5 Upper Control Arms, Moog LBJ's, 245/75/16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:52 pm 
LOST Member

mine has gone from a steady 14-15mpg, all city, to a steady 16-17mpg , again all city, with running the acetone stuff in the tank. I'm quite pleased with the results.

-LOST #005816
-2003 KJ Sport
-3.7L V6
-235/70/16 Bridgestone Dueler A/T REVO'S
-Factory Fogs
-Sunroof
-Custom Mounted Mag Lite
-Jeep Stainless Steel Coffee Mug
-Autozone Rubber Floor Mats

Post subject: Mileage numbers
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 5:39 pm 
LOST Newbie

RESULTS SO FAR:
18.20 baseline gasoline highway/city mix
20.58 acetone (4oz total) highway/city mix
18.37 acetone (4oz total) city only
18.88 acetone (2oz total) mainly highway
UPDATE: 19.62 acetone (<1 oz) Primarily Highway

I miss the power I had with acetone in the tank, so, armed with a metal additive bottle and a glass measuring cup, I'm going back to acetone.

LOST Mid-Atlantic #071463
-----------------------------------
2K5 3.7L Sport in Patriot Blue w/ bug deflector
+ slush mats + JVC 12 Disc changer and HU
---------------
Coming Eventually:
Custom built fiberglass enclosure with two 12" 1000W DHD subs and one 12" 400W Orion sub with an 1800W Legacy amp and a 600W Boss amp

Post subject: Acetone article
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:42 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

http://www.pureenergysystems.com/news/2005/03/17/6900069_Acetone/

Interesting article on Acetone.
I might have to start trying this.

CRS-Rock Rails * Rusty's Lift * *MTR's * Husky Mats * The 'Grill' and Shelf

FRS/CB (ch 6)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:10 pm 
LOST Newbie

Well, since I'm not getting much of a boost in my wife's KJ, I started using it in my 2001 7.3L Diesel Excursion and boy, what a difference.

Not only does it give a comfortable kick in the pants power increase, I'm seeing a solid increase form 15.8 to 17.8 mpg in the city. Where, as before, I had to stick to 55mph to get 20mpg. Now, I can set the cruse to 65mpg and maintain 20mpg.

Cheers,

Lost #000692 - Houston Tx
02 KJ 4x4 Limited - Black
Mods: K&N
Next Mod: Whatever I can afford!

Post subject: Acetone fuel additive test
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:57 pm 
LOST Member

Based on the anecdotal results that I have read above looks like the average Liberty sees a 13% increase in fuel efficiency with 2 oz of acetone added to every 10 gallons of gasoline. Acetone costs about 2¢ to treat one gallon of gasoline. Last year we put about 16,000 miles on our Liberty averaging 16.84 mpg. We paid an average of $2.27 per gallon. If I had used acetone and got a 13% increase in fuel economy I would have saved $217 so I think it is worth a try. I go through about 1 tank of gas each week so I’ll start posting my results in a couple of weeks.

'05 Sport 4X4, 3.7L - Black | Frankenlift II Premium, JBA KJ Lifted A-Arms 4.5 | Cooper Discoverer A/T3 - LT245/75R16, Load C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:38 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

:? That's too much math for me!!1 :? But let us know how it works out, i'll probably start going back to using it as well...

Silver 2002 Grand Cherokee Overland (Not running as of 12/30/2014. Suspect dropped valve seat)

White 2003 Liberty Limited (RIP)

L.O.S.T. #: DV053827

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 12:27 am 
LOST Newbie

I also started adding acetone to my fuel- but I don't have my results numbers in front of me. I can tell you that I have seen a mileage increase across the board. Thanks to whomever started this post..! Great idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:52 pm 
LOST Addict

Which one of you guys has been doing this the longest? I am considering doing this but my biggest concern is long time usage deteriorating parts in the engine. I would like to hear from someone who's been doing this consistently for close to a year. Have you noticed any odd changes with the engine (outside of the increased mpg)? On average, how much would you say you save per fill-up by adding the acetone?

2005 Wrangler Unlimited not so stock
L.O.S.T. #082670
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/803306
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2399643
More mods planned than money.
-----------------

"Roads, where we're going we don't need roads."

Post subject: Disappointing early results
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:50 pm 
LOST Member

The early results of my test are not very encouraging. So far I have added acetone to two tanks of gas at the rate of 2 oz per every 10 gallons. With the additive I averaged 16.97 mpg (586.2 miles, 34.54 gallons) in normal city driving with the a/c off most of the time. Without the additive under the same circumstances I average 16.69 mpg (8,442.9 miles, 505.9 gallons).

I vaguely remember enough of my grad school statistics to know that this 1.68% increase in mileage falls within the margin of error so at this point I am going to say that I have seen no measurable increase in mileage. But I also remember enough of statistics to know that two samples are not enough to get reliable results so I will keep testing…

And praying…

Perhaps work a little voodoo…

Or do a rain dance…

'05 Sport 4X4, 3.7L - Black | Frankenlift II Premium, JBA KJ Lifted A-Arms 4.5 | Cooper Discoverer A/T3 - LT245/75R16, Load C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 6:13 am 
LOST Newbie

After reading those articles I am not convinced enough to give this a try. Still attempting to figure out what the author is trying to gain with publishing those articles. Maybe they are wanting to sell those fuel mileage scan thingies?????? I don't know. I really don't see any science involved in the articles though. Hmmmmm does I smell a fish??? Will have to think about this one for a while.........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 11:15 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

i tried it for a couple of tanks and it did nothing. On my first trip out after adding the acetone i thought they were onto something. I averaged 26mpg on the highway doing 65 for a 20 mile trip; at the time i'd been averaging around 23mpg highway. The rest of the tank my mpg dropped right back to around normal. Tried a second tank, no change either, so i stopped adding it. Turns out my initial gain was probably from the trucks ahead making big holes in the air for me.

There are certain tradeoffs that have to be made for our vehicle of choice...we have a tough, capable rig that unfortunatly is heavy and has all the aerodynamics of a brick. Its been in this and plenty of other forums many times, the only way to get better milage is to keep up your maintanence, proper tire inflation, good driving habits, etc. If you are really serious about mpg gains, replace the stock air box and filter with a FIPK and the exhust system with something less restrictive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 12:07 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I'm a little sceptical as well, especially after seeing this past week's Mythbusters. They did a bunch of "gas asaver" myths, and acetone was one of them. They showed no gain on either carburated or EFI vehicles. in fact, they both showed a small decrease in mileage.

Silver 2002 Grand Cherokee Overland (Not running as of 12/30/2014. Suspect dropped valve seat)

White 2003 Liberty Limited (RIP)

L.O.S.T. #: DV053827

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:01 am 
LOST Member

Any updates on ths issue here ? I have sence put 4oz in my tank ans I'll post as soon as I refiller up . I did get about
262 miles on the tank before the acetone was added . So I'll post with my new mileage report ina few days

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:48 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Anybody been doing this for a while to see if there are any long term effects or wear on internal engine components due to acetone getting through to the engine and all? ANy MPG ratings increased....what's the scoop????

AEV 3.5" RS Lift; Schrockworks FR bumper and Warn 9.5ti winch; Cobra 75 CB; Rigid 50" LED light bar; Adventure Trailers (AT Overland) JK Kitchen setup in the cargo area.
Southern L.O.S.T. # 236487

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:53 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

RockyMtEditionKJ wrote:
Anybody been doing this for a while to see if there are any long term effects or wear on internal engine components due to acetone getting through to the engine and all? ANy MPG ratings increased....what's the scoop????

I stand by my original post:
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/vie ... ght=#14947

Acetone isn't going to hurt your engine in the recommended quantities. Gasoline isn't exactly distilled water, and it doesn't hurt your engine, and, besides, many off-the-shelf fuel additives contain acetone. It's pretty harmless, unless you spill it on your paint or carpet.

Bottom line: Acetone has been proven to improve fuel economy by a substantial amount under the right circumstances. You'll need to try it out yourself to determine whether it helps your fuel economy enough to justify the hassle.

Formerly: 02 White Ltd 4x4 with lots of stuff...
Pics: http://troysterr.com Links & Parts: http://youngs.org/kjparts

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:25 am 
LOST Newbie

I had good results also- no apparant engine damage... when I recently ran out of acetone I noticed a decrease in fuel mileage and it runs rough at idle. Still using it... will update