It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Better gas mileage.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:27 pm 
LOST Newbie

I don't know exactly what is happening, but in the last week or two, my onboard fuel mileage meter on my 2002 Liberty V-6 has crept up from 16.3 MPG to 17.4 MPG as of yesterday. My driving habits havn't noticably changed, and it is still hot here...in the 90's daily, so I am still using my A/C. I am still using the "relatively" cheap 86 octane gas. ($3.07/gallon! :x ) It had been at 16.3 since the larger tires and computer re-program a couple months ago.

The only thing different is that last time I changed my oil, I switched from a 5W30 oil, which I believe was Coastal brand from Autozone, to a 10W30 Quaker State. I did this just days before the mileage started creeping up.

I wouldn't think a thicker oil would improve mileage...and I wouldn't think ANY oil would make that kind of improvement, but I am surely not complaining.

Anyone else ever have something like this happen?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 2:57 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hmmm, Interesting. Perhaps your seeing normal fluctuations in driving habits and the new gas prices are making you somewhat hyper-sensitive to the changes? :?

I'm getting over 19mpg in town at near sea-level, but my computer regularly indicates anywhere between 14.5 and ~16mpg... Basically, I recommend that you should not trust your computer...

Its best to log your gallons and odometer, then do the math.

Lost #000692 - Houston Tx
02 KJ 4x4 Limited - Black
Mods: K&N
Next Mod: Whatever I can afford!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:58 pm 
LOST Newbie

Who did you get to re-program your pooter? I've been thinking of buying a good programmer that would let me tweak out things like that, but just can't bring myself to spending the big bucks.

Oh, and how many miles are you up to now? I forgot to ask that in my last post. I remember getting better economy on my old 4x4 Dakota after towing a 5Klb load over 1200 miles... It did a good job of breaking my engine in.

Lost #000692 - Houston Tx
02 KJ 4x4 Limited - Black
Mods: K&N
Next Mod: Whatever I can afford!