It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Intake and Exhaust Choices for best MPG
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 3:06 pm 
LOST Newbie

Okay, looking to add an intake, and some sort of exhaust, mainly for fuel efficiency. I was mainly looking at the AEM Brute Force and a muffler, but I know there are other good products out there for intakes and exhausts I've used K&N drop In's in a few vehicles, including the KJ. I also used an Iceman in my first car, and an Injen CAI in my eclipse, so I know they help. Anyone have a better experience with one intake over another? Exhaust wise, has anyone seen better results with one company over another, Cat Back Vs Muffler? Anyone do anything with a hi flow cat? I'm not looking to drop thousands of dollars or huge HP increases, but would like to get some better gas mileage. Let me know what yall think.

LOST Mid-Atlantic-071841

-Thule rail mount, load bars, fairing, upright mounts, wheel carrier, fork mount, Rocky Mount fork mount, Yakima wheel carrier and kayak carrier
-Rusty's Off-Road Intake with AEM filter
-Firestone Destination AT's

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:08 am 
LOST Newbie

I actually have pretty much the same question. I've heard good and bad things about air intakes, such as that they take in a lot of dirt. Also, I was wondering if there is an improved exhaust that does not make it louder. That annoys the crap out of me when cruising.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:23 am 
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

The best would be just use the stock intake, get a Amsoil air filter and replace the muffler with a better one, ie Flowmaster, Magnaflow, Thrush even Flo Pro :wink: no use replacing the tailpipe will not help one bit, save your money on other stuff, also check out the thread in Fabrication on using a hose from the grill back into the air box, that helps as well. I am running a 3 inch dryer vent hose from the grill back into the airbox along with the stock air intake. This is the 5th set up I have had a nd the best so far

Post subject: Can you be more specific about the thread...
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:27 pm 
LOST Member

I will go look...it sounds like an interesting idea...

Jim

Post subject: Re: Can you be more specific about the thread...
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:10 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

jmoomaw wrote:
I will go look...it sounds like an interesting idea...

Jim

you've got a CRD so - if you have the stock intake - you already have a straight hose into the air box
(this may give you problems in rainy weather - that's why a lot of folks have switched to the v6 airbox)

on the other side - depending on state laws - you may be able to straight pipe the muffler - i.e. the Turbo acts as a muffler -
however you definitely need to get rid of the stock muffler - it necks down from the 2 1/2" exhaust to 2" and chokes the exhaust.

(I went Magnaflow - but several options - the straight pipe will give the best performance and the most noise)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 5:08 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I bought the parts for the V6 airbox mod. Then I bought a snorkle and an Amsol EAA airfilter. Then I'm going add a high flow cat and a 3" exhaust and NO muffler.