It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Has anyone else noticed this?
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 1:55 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I ran my Lib down to fumes once, to the point where the EVIC said I had 0.0 miles to go before empty and the gas gauge was fully to the left - and then I drove it some more after that. When I got to the gas station to fill it up, it only took about 16.8 gallons and I know I have an 18.5 gallon tank. I know about the "reserve" and all, but 2 gallons? I guess I'm wondering if my fuel gauge is messed up or if something needs to be calibrated. Thanks for any opinions or knowledge on this one!

DynoMax Ultra Flow SS Muffler
Amsoil Ea "Absolute Efficiency" Air Filter
Nokian Vatiiva 235/70/R16 Tires
Pixeldzn's "RENEGADE" decals
Support the 2nd Amendment - It's your right!

Post subject: Re: Has anyone else noticed this?
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 2:54 pm 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

SavageUrge wrote:
I ran my Lib down to fumes once, to the point where the EVIC said I had 0.0 miles to go before empty and the gas gauge was fully to the left - and then I drove it some more after that. When I got to the gas station to fill it up, it only took about 16.8 gallons and I know I have an 18.5 gallon tank. I know about the "reserve" and all, but 2 gallons? I guess I'm wondering if my fuel gauge is messed up or if something needs to be calibrated. Thanks for any opinions or knowledge on this one!

Not sure if something is wrong since I don't have an Evic. Could be a saftey barrier for people who do run it down to "0.0" miles. How much do you usually put in when you fill up? How long do you fill up after the low fuel light comes on?

On a side note, my low fuel light came on when I was dropping my girlfriend off at her college (she scratched her eye with her contact and couldn't drive). Well late that day we went to Beverly Hills and came back to downtown LA. When I finally filled up I put 20.8 gallons in my 20.5 gallon gas tank costing me $70. Needless to say, close call.

Justin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 3:36 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I've been watching it since that happened, and I haven't tried to push it again. On a normal week, I fill up about 20 miles after the "low fuel light" comes on and I can't get any more than 15.5 - 16 gallons into the tank - and that's full to the point of fuel spitting out the fill hole down the side of the Jeep. I know you're not supposed to do this, but sometimes it seems like I can get more in there.

DynoMax Ultra Flow SS Muffler
Amsoil Ea "Absolute Efficiency" Air Filter
Nokian Vatiiva 235/70/R16 Tires
Pixeldzn's "RENEGADE" decals
Support the 2nd Amendment - It's your right!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 4:09 pm 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Interesting. I can't personally say, but I've heard that the EVIC isn't the most accurate. I believe the light goes off when you have 3 gallons left, not sure if it's different between the years but that's what mine does. Like you I usually try to fill up after about 20 miles from the light going off. How many miles does your EVIC normally say you have left when you fill up?

Justin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 7:11 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

It doesn't sound like there's any problem to me. My 02 has about 2 gallons left for idiot protection when the gauge is on empty. The computer usually hits 0 DTE right about when the gas gauge is on the Empty line. So if you translate Distance to Empty as meaning the distance to empty on the gauge, not in the tank, then it's doing what it's supposed to do.