It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ways to Improve your Gas Mileage
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 12:02 pm 
LOST Addict

Ways to Improve Your Gas Mileage:
  1. Switch to synthetic oils.
  2. Add fuel injector cleaner, or have a shop clean your injectors with a machine.
  3. After filling up make sure your gas cap is on securely (3 clicks).
  4. Avoid traffic areas. When you idle you get 0 mpg.
  5. Buy gasoline at the coldest time of the day (early morning or late evening). During these times gasoline is densest. Keep in mind that gas pumps measure volumes of gasoline, not densities of fuel concentration. You are charged according to volume of measurement.
  6. Avoid “jackrabbit starts”. When accelerating from a dead stop try to keep your tachometer as low as possible.
  7. Traveling under 55 mph produces up to 21% better mileage. Driving 65 mph on the highway will improve your mileage compared to 70-80 mph.
  8. Use cruise control like your addicted to it. The more constant your speed is and the less your transmission shifts between gears, the better gas mileage you get.
  9. Do not accelerate while going uphill. Accelerate before a hill and coast while going uphill. When going downhill, there is no need to accelerate, if you coast you will get better mileage.
  10. Avoid prolonged idling. You only need 30-45 seconds to warm up an engine, even during the cold winters. I’m not sure, but it maybe different on a diesel. If you plan on idling your Jeep for more than one minute, it is better to turn off the engine.
  11. Stoplights are timed. So if you go the speed limit, you can go through green lights. The less you brake/stop/idle the better your gas mileage will be.
  12. Do regular maintenance and tune-ups. Follow your manual (Schedule B). Change spark plugs, all your oils (motor, transmission, t-case, front diff, rear diff), antifreeze, air filter, oil filter, fuel filter, etc… A low-charged battery will decrease your gas mileage during startup, so check your battery.
  13. Try aftermarket performance products such as mufflers or hi-flow exhaust or an cold air intake (K&N, AirRaid, etc..) and try keeping your heavy right foot off that skinny pedal.
  14. Inflate your tires. It is recommended to inflate your tires to about 33-35 psi on a cold tire. Check this as much as possible and add air if needed. A underinflated tire can reduce mileage by 25%.
  15. Nitrogen filled tires does not help you increase your mileage, it only holds the "air" in more, so if you check your tires regularly you should have no problem.
  16. Make sure your tires are properly balanced and your suspension is aligned to factory specs.
  17. Remove excess weight on or in your Jeep. Remove all the snow on your Jeep during the winter.
  18. Avoid using your air conditioning and heater. Running your a/c can reduce your mileage by 10-20%. Under 40 mph, it is better to open your windows than to run your a/c.
  19. Combine all your errands into one trip. When going to work or school try carpooling and make your co-workers/friends chip in for the gas money.

Following this list can makeup for all the mpg's you lost by adding those bigger tires, lift and roof rack.

If anyone would like to add to this list it post it here and I be happy to add it. :wink:

245/75-16 Mastercraft Courser HSX, 16x7 Cragar, 2" OME MD Lift, ARB Bumper
AEM Brute Force Cold Air Intake, Flowmaster Super 44 Muffler

Currently working on: Full service on transmission & bed-lining ARB bumper

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=84650

Last edited by jeepkj02 on Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:39 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 1:06 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

combine multiple short errands into one trip.

Quote:
try the K&N FIPK or similar air intakes

if you are willing to spend the money on an FIPK, pair it with a higher flow exhaust system

Quote:
Running your a/c can reduce your mileage by 10-20%.

under around 40mph...after that the wind resistance negates any fuel savings vs. having the a/c on
http://www.thirdage.com/news/articles/A ... 10-01.html (there are other articles out there, this just popped up first when i searched)

after enough people have have given their input, this thread should become a sticky. I've seen a few other forums with a similar thread at the top and i know it's changed some of the way i use my KJ.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 8:47 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Increasing your tire diameter one size or so can actually give you better mpg (you have to calculate using the newer size). It effectively gives you a different drive ratio...

Go much bigger and the wind resistance and gearing advantage negate the increase.

If you know you are going to have to stop ahead...coast or let off the gas instead of hard braking...rushing to wait in line makes no sense.

Try different fueling stations...some fuels are better than others...

Mods: GDE Hot Tune w/ 364#@2000rpm/Air Box /3" Str8 Exhaust/ASFIR Alum Skids/245-75R-16 Cooper STT PRO/OME LIFT w/Clevis & 4 Spring Isos/AirTabs/Rigid 10" S2 LED/4xGuard Ctr Matrix Bumper
Drag Strip:Reac=.1078_60ft=2.224_1/8=10.39@64.8mph_1/4+16.46@80.8mph

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:55 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

These TOP 20 factors that I have listed below are very relevant and together in my opinion can make or brake mileage gains. Not listed in any specific order. And I would not sacrifice mileage gains over lifts and other mileage depletion modifications. The point is to have fun, but there are some things you can do to help make up for what you lost.

1. Proper Tire Size,
2. Proper Tire Pressure,
3. High Performance Muffler,
4. Quality Spark Plugs/Wire sets,
5. Clean Injectors,
6. Improved Air Intake Design and Air Filter Quality,
7. Fuel Quality and Proper Octane Rating
8. Synthetic Transmission Fluid
9. Synthetic Transfer Case Fluid
10. Synthetic Differential Fluid
12. Synthetic Engine Oil
13. Quality Coolant, Proper Mixtures and/or added Inner Cooler
14. Axle Ratio Geared for the Highway
15. Clean and Working PCV valve
16. Eliminate Vehicle Weight
17. Automatic vs. Manual
18. Keeping a clean intake system
19. Be a Better Driver (Use Cruise) (Less heavy braking, and more coasting)
20. Combination of Wind, Temperature, Driving Terrain. (Not much you can do here but does factors in)

I took the road less traveled. Now I'm LOST.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:49 am 
LOST Addict

I don't think that fuel injection cleaners (the pour in kind) really do much of anything. If you really want to get the injectors clean, and you should!, take it to a shop that can thoughally clean out the system with a machine. Some good information can be found here: Tech Talk - FI system care

Also: If you have been suckered into that "fill your tire with nitrogen" stuff... don't expect to see a huge increase in your gas mileage. I don't buy the story that nitrogen is better than air for tire inflation. It's true that the Nitrogen will not leak out of your tire at fast as the oxygen but it will still leak out over time. And then you are stuck finding a tire place that will probably charge you to re-inflate your tires back to the propper PSI. The simpliest solution to mainitaining propper tire pressure is to just buy an air compressor for the garage.

Also don't waste your money on mid-grade or premium-grade thinking you'll get better gas mileage.

USA Spec I-Pod adaptor, Mopar Sub, Garmin GPS
Tow Package, Select-Trac
Rock Rails, Tow Hooks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:44 am 
LOST Newbie

I've found I consistently lose between 2 and 3 MPG when running premium. 87 octane usually gets me ~21MPG, 93 octane I get ~19MPG. The Liberty does run better on premium but it costs more and for some reason gets worse mileage.

Anyone else notice this?

Post subject: different octane
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:32 am 
LOST Addict

Before my Libby I owned a '95 Dakota 5.2L V-8 it demanded High octane fuel . But If I ran the highest it performed better but got l bad milage, but if I steped down a notch it got better milage but didn't perform as well. Since I got my KJ I havn't tried to diviate just get 13.5 MPG . I.m now trying different solutions..

LEAD :D Follow :P or GET OUT of The WAY :shock: :twisted: 8) :-)r :-)r :-)r

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:55 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I have also been experimenting with ways to improve my gas milage and I agree with the above list. It is amazing what you save by using cruse control alone. I tried using it everytime I drove over 40mph for one whole tank of gas, even on city streets, and I improved my milage by about 3mpg. Granted I also did most of the other stuff on the list as well, but it was impressive. Boring, but impressive.

-Michelin LTX AT2's (P235/70 R16)
-tow hooks (front) D-ring (back)
-graphite tail light guards
-K&N air filter

bluegrasslost member

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:35 am 
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

The bottles of Fuel injector cleaners do help. Case in point,Step Father has a 95 S10 Blazer with the 4.3, from about 20000 miles EGR valve would get all clogged up, GM replaced 5 of them before saying no more, I used to take it off and just clean it out every 15/18000 miles. Then I started adding a bottle every month and its been over 80000 now and no problems, so keep putting it in!

Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:17 pm 
LOST Newbie

There isnt much you can do about the A/C running unless you keep your heater completely off. The AC kicks in even if you are blowing hot air through the defroster. Many cars are like this and its supposed to reduce the moisture on the windshield (and throughout the car). I think the floor and vent setting wont kick the compressor on, but the other ones do. What I usually do is just remove the fuse for the AC. You still get heat, but the AC pump wont kick on and off. I dont notice any real difference in moisture.

If you dont believe me, just crank your heat on defrost, pop the hood, and watch your pump click on and off.

Throttle body spacers are supposed to increase your mileage, noticably. I have never actually used one, but everyone says they do. They are supposed to give you more power as well.

*Pro Car Detailer*

Post subject: We have talked about after market ad ons an Synthetic
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:28 pm 
LOST Addict

But I just realized every body talks about clean air intake, clean fuel injectors, and other tweeking and tuneing. But I have yet to see one person mention one of the simplest ways to better milage (Besides Park it and don't drive).KEEP YOUR ENGINE BAY CLEAN dirty oil spilled or leaking that retains road grime an sludge, also creates more unneeded heat. better cooling more efficient running engine.
A additional benefit if you are in a situation where some other mechanic needs to service or work on your ride, they from my experience will do something a little extra they didn't need to. I'm not talking a cash discount, but a little tweak or something else they didn't need to do is their way of showing appreciation. Not to mention if you bring your ride back, they will jump at the chance to work on your ride no matter where in line it sets. Little Plusses are alway helpfull. Not to mention if you need to work it makes your job easier too. I have seen time and time again somebody with big bucks tied up in detailing products for that show room dazzle. But you pop the hood, the engine is so encased in crud it's a wonder it even drives with out overheating just out of the drive way :shock: :? :? 8)

PIAA head light bulbs, Fog Light switched out to SilverStar 9005's
MagnaFlo Muffler, New Radiator, Rebuilt A/C system,Rebuilt Rear Diff, LBJ's twice
Dunlop 245/70-16 Rover AT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:27 pm 
LOST Newbie

I was thinking of the throttle body spacers that I mentioned. I have never used one, but I actually cant see how they work. They are supposed to create a swirling mixture of air and fuel. But on late model FI engines, the mixture usually happens right before the combustion chamber, so the swirling of air isnt happening with the fuel. Has anyone tried one?

*Pro Car Detailer*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:11 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

That's a great list.

The one I discovered on my own that I find most useful and significant is the one about the AC.

You should try all the air settings on you vehicle to see which ones the compressor is not on. I have heard it varries from year to year.

Put your vehicle in park while running and watch the compressor as you try each air setting with the ac/snowflake in the off position. Observe the compressor for about 30-60 seconds under each air setting to be sure it does not come on.

I have found that by keeping it off I get about 1.5 mpg better on average mileage I went from about 14.5-15.5 to 16-17 mpg in the city.

John
];')

My Wheeling Videos :JEEPIN:
My Mods, Upgrades and Custom Fabrications

Last edited by Kugellager on Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:59 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

My ac compressor blew and I by passed and took the pulley off and now I get 2 mpg better. :)

Post subject: Re: Ways to Improve your Gas Mileage
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:35 am 
LOST Newbie

i usually avg 19.1-20.5. but i never go over 2000 rpm when accelerating. and on long trips on the interstate i tailgate semis. i do not condone this. its a risk i decide to take, but not if my child is in the car. however, when doing this ive experienced up to 24.7 mpg. mostly down hill on my way to memphis.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:05 am 
LOST Member

I think the most significant point here is to avoid jackrabbit starts. I always accelerate slowly and take my foot off the gas as soon as I see a yellow traffic light. It saves your brakes and your gas. Nobody else around me seems to get the picture though. :dizzy:

I use STP gas treatment and STP fuel injector cleaner in my KJ. Not at the same time, but I alternate them at fill ups. I don't know if it increases MPG or not because I have always used them. I also run 89 octane in mine, does anybody else use midgrade?

Headlights-3000k HID...illegal
Fog Lights-3000k HID...illegal
Tail Lights- black nightshade...illegal
Turn signals- clear lens w/ clear bulb...illegal
All windows- 5% tint...illegal

Cop following me...CRAP

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:48 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

brettacuff wrote:
I think the most significant point here is to avoid jackrabbit starts. I always accelerate slowly and take my foot off the gas as soon as I see a yellow traffic light. It saves your brakes and your gas. Nobody else around me seems to get the picture though. :dizzy:

I use STP gas treatment and STP fuel injector cleaner in my KJ. Not at the same time, but I alternate them at fill ups. I don't know if it increases MPG or not because I have always used them. I also run 89 octane in mine, does anybody else use midgrade?

Buy quality gas(not the cheapest found) and no need for fuel treatments.Those treatments/cleaners if used to much will cook your cats and there not cheap,about $1200+ just for the cats(OE are the best).You can use 89+ octane and will help,if towing but empty it will not(KJ only,states in manual).

There are many myths about "improving" mpg's that simply do not work or yield anything to actual make a difference.

--Running with AC on will decrease your mpg's is false,running around with the windows down uses more gas then AC does.

--Running synthetic gear oil,sure will increase your mpg's but requires 12-15k OCI's or you you will cause damage to your bearings.At the 2-3 times more costly synthetic gear oils just take the 1mpg hit and run dino gear oils and your diffs will last alot longer and save you money in the long run.

--Never rev the engine beyond 2000/2500 rpm's,completely false and after some time will actually net you less mpg's from carbon build up.Run your vehicle very hard for 30-60 mins at least once a week(or once every 2 weeks) to help keep carbon build up at a min.

--Change your fluids,filters,plugs,and such on a regular basis (maintenace schedule B,no one falls into the A catagory),does help a little for mpg's but in the long run it save you money on repairs so you have more money for gas.

--Performance mufflers and CAI's,total joke as your PCM will "learn" around them,you need to have the OE programs wiped and performance programs installed to see the full effects,which usually is less mpg's as your more likely to "get on it" more with the increase in power.

--Over inflating the tires is just plain dangerous and will not net you any increase in mpg's to notice,check your tires pressures once a week and keep them at the OEM specified pressure(for OE sized tires only).

--Drive slowly,again false as my KJ got the best highway mpg's at 78mph,would lug and bog down trying to do 65mph.Granted I now am limited to 65mph on the highway but that is due to tire size and gear ratio but my engine turns the same rpm's as it use to at 78mph before the SFA swap.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:08 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

:roll:
Quote:
--Running with AC on will decrease your mpg's is false,running around with the windows down uses more gas then AC does.

Both will decrease your mpg. AC is more efficient on the highway, windows down around town. But AC will absolutely lower your mpg in any situation... I notice about a 2mpg drop on highway trips between AC on and (if the weather is nice) just the fan.

Quote:
--Never rev the engine beyond 2000/2500 rpm's,completely false and after some time will actually net you less mpg's from carbon build up.Run your vehicle very hard for 30-60 mins at least once a week(or once every 2 weeks) to help keep carbon build up at a min.

Running it on the highway for extended periods from time to time cleans out the carbon build up just fine, from everything I've read/seen. That sad, gradual acceleration absolutely will improve your fuel mileage. Granted the rpms are different between the gasser and the CRD, but I noticed a significant increase in in-town mileage when I stopped gunning it from stoplights.

Quote:
Over inflating the tires is just plain dangerous and will not net you any increase in mpg's to notice,check your tires pressures once a week and keep them at the OEM specified pressure(for OE sized tires only).

Just don't exceed the Max pressure on the tire (not the door) and you'll be fine. It does help some with mpgs, though it makes the ride a little rougher.

Quote:
Drive slowly,again false as my KJ got the best highway mpg's at 78mph,would lug and bog down trying to do 65mph.Granted I now am limited to 65mph on the highway but that is due to tire size and gear ratio but my engine turns the same rpm's as it use to at 78mph before the SFA swap.

That's great for your KJ, but clearly has something to do with whatever mods you've made. General rule of thumb is the slowest mph in the highest gear nets the best mileage. At 60mph, I get about 35mpg... at 70, I get 32mpg... at 80, I get 28mpg... So this might be "false" for you, but 65mph is going to be MUCH better than 78mph for 99% of people.

GDE Eco Tune, GDE TCM Tune, Bauer 203* Tstat, Amsoil EaA 201 Filter, Clean MAP, Samco CAC Hoses, Magnaflow Muffler #12226.
New Mopar Fuel Filter, K&N Filterminder, Fumoto Oil Drain Valve
225/75R16 Hankook Dynapros

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:30 pm 
LOST Member

It sounds like there are some major conflicting facts here. I guess do whatever works best for you (well, at least in your own mind). :mrgreen: I'll stick to easy acceleration and windows down instead of A/C.

But I am curious...So 89 octane is not benefitting my motor in any way?

Headlights-3000k HID...illegal
Fog Lights-3000k HID...illegal
Tail Lights- black nightshade...illegal
Turn signals- clear lens w/ clear bulb...illegal
All windows- 5% tint...illegal

Cop following me...CRAP

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:08 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

brettacuff wrote:

But I am curious...So 89 octane is not benefitting my motor in any way?

Read owners manual,in towing section.Your PCM is programmed for 87 octane.