It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cracked spark plug caused slowly decreasing mileage
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:24 pm 
LOST Newbie

I was tracking a steady decline in gas mileage for over a half year, about 1MPG decrease per month. As we got near 12MPG, repeated trips to the service department were still turning up nothing except blame on my roof rack and my 'oversize' 225/70 tires.

As we eventually touched single-digit(!) MPG, one cylinder started to miss. This was the first time there was noticable rough running. The service department still couldn't find anything, as the on-board computer detected nothing wrong and was still logging no errors.

The Tech then did a temperature measurement and found abnormally hot temparatures near one rear cylinder. He pulled the spark plug, the one hidden at the right rear of the engine (the one I couldn't easily reach and check a couple months earlier). It had cracked it's ceramic insulation, and the crack was progressively widening, as the spark apparently burned its way out. The overheating had melted the coil o-ring and allowed water in to rust the plug badly. And the coil unit was heat damaged. From the amount of distruction there, we figure it had cracked all those months ago, or went in cracked from the factory, and was responsible for the slow MPG decline.

The Libby is now back up in mileage where it used to be, and holding steady and reasonable for a couple months now. I got a chance at the engineering roundtable at Camp Jeep to suggest making the on-board computer a little more comprehensive.

L.O.S.T. #000532 Chicagoland
2004 khaki Liberty Sport, 6 cyl Auto, 4 armor plates, AT/S tires or MT/R's, hooks, H/D cooling/towing, Yakima/Thule rack system, rockrails, HiLift jack, Old Man Emu full suspension, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:36 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Nice work man! i think i should change my plugs before the snow hits, and it may help my mileage too thanks

Flame Red
cb, full armor
"If you're not living on the edge...You're taking up to much space!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:27 am 
All repairs covered under warranty I hope??

All joking aside, I think your tech is a dipstick if he can't diagnose an OBVIOUS problem with one cylinder without the computer telling him that there's a problem. :shock:

Luis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:35 am 
LOST Newbie

Daddio, how many miles do you have on your 04?

Post subject: Whoa, bad mechanic
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:19 pm 
LOST Newbie

The first thing I'd think with a misfire would be plugs followed by timing problems.

Onboard comps can have a hard time diagnosing such things. For Example, an 05 model Aston Martin is the first car to ever have computer-controlled misfire detection and engine shutdown. To do it required engineering a neural network chip that could use specialized processing for individual sensors so that it could identify a misfire through heuristics. Luckily the specially designed chip is only $12. Perhaps it is easier though to sense problems with a plug itself.

LOST Mid-Atlantic #071463
-----------------------------------
2K5 3.7L Sport in Patriot Blue w/ bug deflector
+ slush mats + JVC 12 Disc changer and HU
---------------
Coming Eventually:
Custom built fiberglass enclosure with two 12" 1000W DHD subs and one 12" 400W Orion sub with an 1800W Legacy amp and a 600W Boss amp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:08 pm 

Its amazing what a difference plugs make with the mileage. Just changing mine out at 30,000 miles gave me a 2.5 mpg increase.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:24 pm 
LOST Newbie

RE: [ All repairs covered under warranty I hope??]

Yes, once they figured it out, they seemed unusually certain for some reason that it was cracked right from manufacture, and all was covered under warranty. What I had to pay for was all that gas pissed away for all those months. Imagine every time you filled up, you drove home and let 25% of the tank leak out, and did that for a few months. Certainly that cost a lot more than the new plug and coil. Luckily I also had a Grand and a TJ in the garage to tool around in while I was mad at the Liberty.

I have around 12,000 miles on the Libby now.

L.O.S.T. #000532 Chicagoland
2004 khaki Liberty Sport, 6 cyl Auto, 4 armor plates, AT/S tires or MT/R's, hooks, H/D cooling/towing, Yakima/Thule rack system, rockrails, HiLift jack, Old Man Emu full suspension, etc.