It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 18 and thrilled
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 3:50 am 
LOST Newbie

i just finished a tank off, and i got a total average of 17.9, that is the best i have seen so far... to me, that is good enough to not complain about.....im ecstatic!!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:25 am 
LOST Newbie

Follow these tips to try to maximize mileage.

1) Accelerate slowly... try not to exceed ~2200 rpm's while accelerating.
2) Check you tire pressure. run 35 psi minimum.
3) Run with windows down and AC off if it's adequately comfortable outside. Below 60 mph this is STILL better for mpg than AC on and windows up (although only by a small margin, typically only ~ .5 mpg).... trust me.
4) If you're on relatively flat ground, use the cruise control like you're addicted to it. If you're in hilly terrain don't use it (because it will accelerate hard uphill, and try to coast downhill), but try to keep the accelerator pedal in the same position and just let the vehicle speed vary slightly depending on whether you're headed uphill or downhill.
5) Try to maintain at least 45 mph (where the torque converter locks up) but no more than 60 mph.
6) Avoid stop and go as much as possible... try to time traffic lights so that you either never use the brake, or use it as little as possible. It takes a LOT less energy (gas) if you can avoid coming to a complete stop at lights.
7) Once you're past your break-in period, run Synthetic oil.
8) Make sure your plugs and wires are good. If you're past the 25K mark, you likely need a new set of plugs and wires. From what I've read, that's about the lifespan of the stock stuff. Buy a better set after that, and they should last 35-50K miles.

Can't vouch for these tips working for everybody, but I AVERAGE about 19 mpg on a typical tank, and have gotten as much as 24 mpg on a (almost all highway mileage) tankful.... which seems to be far better than most people are getting out of their 3.7L 4x4 (automatic trans) Libertys.

Luis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 1:22 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Changed to a cone type air filter and put in new spark plugs... went from 16mpg to 19!!! That makes a difference when you have a 50 mile commute to work. Guess I'm kind of hard on it too... three quarters of that commute is 65 - 75mph on the interstate, the balance is either lots of traffic lights, or bumper to bumper crawling.

A bunch of stickers and some stuff from my husband's old CRD

Get me to the beach!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:26 pm 
LOST Addict

how often do you need to change your air filter?

245/75-16 Mastercraft Courser HSX, 16x7 Cragar, 2" OME MD Lift, ARB Bumper
AEM Brute Force Cold Air Intake, Flowmaster Super 44 Muffler

Currently working on: Full service on transmission & bed-lining ARB bumper

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=84650

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 11:24 pm 
LOST Member

jeepkj02 wrote:
how often do you need to change your air filter?

I usually check mine on a monthly basis and replace as necessary. It's hard to give a exact milage to change it, as everybody drives in various conditions. If you drive where their is alot of dust/dirt in the air, you'll have to replace it more often than if you drive in areas with less dust/dirt in the air.

My commute takes me through very dusty conditions every day, so mine (cheap paper kind from Napa) last about 4-5 months.

-LOST #005816
-2003 KJ Sport
-3.7L V6
-235/70/16 Bridgestone Dueler A/T REVO'S
-Factory Fogs
-Sunroof
-Custom Mounted Mag Lite
-Jeep Stainless Steel Coffee Mug
-Autozone Rubber Floor Mats

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 8:34 pm 
LOST Newbie

sstenner wrote:
Changed to a cone type air filter and put in new spark plugs... went from 16mpg to 19!!! That makes a difference when you have a 50 mile commute to work. Guess I'm kind of hard on it too... three quarters of that commute is 65 - 75mph on the interstate, the balance is either lots of traffic lights, or bumper to bumper crawling.

what type of filter did you go to? the K&N Fipk(sp?) set up? or just one of the cheaper ones off of Ebay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:17 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

DH installed the air filter - I know it is red, and it came from autozone... and was under $30... sorry I can't be of more help. I'll pop the hood and see if there is a name on it when it is daylight and not raining.

Sharon

A bunch of stickers and some stuff from my husband's old CRD

Get me to the beach!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 2:26 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

If you four wheel a lot, I'd go with a drop in filter for K&N. Even my stock air filter got real muddy so I had to change it. Mud may still get into the airbox, but it's a lot better then the FIPK. If you're on the street all the time-go for the FIPK as you will notice a lot better performance.

255/70/R16 Fleet Farm All Terrain (yes they work)
Class 3 hitch
Hellas
Police Scanner/CB radio
LOST #: JH061986