It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 10:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Big drop in mileage
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:54 am 
LOST Member

In the last two months I have lost nearly 3-4 mpg. I was getting around 15 in my normal driving situation. Now I am getting about 11. I have made no changes to the Jeep. I have tried switching gas brands, changing the oil and spark plugs, and checking the air filter (Amsoil EAA). I am not getting any codes when using a odb code reader. Is winter gas really that bad or might I be looking for something else to be wrong? By the way, this is a 2003 Sport 4x4 with the 3.7 and 3.73 gears. My driving habits have not changed.

Grand Cherokee TCM, Skids, Superwinch EPi 9.0 in cradle mount with 125' 5/16 Viking Trail Line, Mopar Rock Rails, Trac-Loc Diff, Frankenlift in front and Skyjacker/JBA springs out back, Monroe Reflex Shocks in rear, JBA Gen 4.5 Upper Control Arms, Moog LBJ's, 245/75/16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:40 pm 
LOST Junkie

winter gas is one. cold weather is two. I have seen a drastic drop as well in this winter's stats and have also not changed driving habits, in fact, I've probably eased off the skinny peddle alot since first getting the KJ. I'm planning on seeing the original gains again with warm weather and obviously "better" gas in the summer....heck isn't that why it costs a buck more than it did this time last year?? LOL :shock: :shock: :shock:

OME Coils & Front Shocks, Bilstein Rear Shocks - Muddified Lift
JBA 4.5 UCA
K&N CAI
MagnaFlow Exhaust
Rola Vortex Rack

http://www.fusion-multimedia.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:31 pm 
LOST Addict

Winter Gas Check your air filter and tire presure, for such a night and day difference. I would thing their are other factors involved.

PIAA head light bulbs, Fog Light switched out to SilverStar 9005's
MagnaFlo Muffler, New Radiator, Rebuilt A/C system,Rebuilt Rear Diff, LBJ's twice
Dunlop 245/70-16 Rover AT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:59 pm 
LOST Member

Yeah, first thing I did was order the Amsoil Eaa filter and check tire pressures. I am going to check fuel pressure in the morning. Thinking is that low pressure wouls cause poor injector spray and lower mileage.

Grand Cherokee TCM, Skids, Superwinch EPi 9.0 in cradle mount with 125' 5/16 Viking Trail Line, Mopar Rock Rails, Trac-Loc Diff, Frankenlift in front and Skyjacker/JBA springs out back, Monroe Reflex Shocks in rear, JBA Gen 4.5 Upper Control Arms, Moog LBJ's, 245/75/16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:45 am 
LOST Addict

I have had the same mileage drop problem since winter started. Mine needs plugs now probably.

I ran a bottle of Techron through it to clean the injectors and I think it helped but only a little. It's still a pig.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:29 pm 
LOST Addict

Seafoam it.... :)

245/75-16 Mastercraft Courser HSX, 16x7 Cragar, 2" OME MD Lift, ARB Bumper
AEM Brute Force Cold Air Intake, Flowmaster Super 44 Muffler

Currently working on: Full service on transmission & bed-lining ARB bumper

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=84650

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:44 pm 
LOST Member

Well I didn't have any Seafoam, but I did run about 12 ozs of Marvel Mystery Oil through a vacuum line and let it sit for 30 minutes. Then I took it for a ride around the block. I don't think my neighbors like me anymore. When I worked as a tech we used to use MMO or Auto Trans fluid to do the same thing as Seafoam.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:24 pm 
LOST Addict

Sounds like me a few months back I changed Spark Plugs with Bosch Platinum +4's and while painting my airboxes and grill inserts took a Funnel and poured and entire bottle of Seafoam into the throttle body. About 2-3 hours later after bolting all back together. Fired the Puppy up and I would have done 007 proad with the Smoke Screen I created :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :P 8)

PIAA head light bulbs, Fog Light switched out to SilverStar 9005's
MagnaFlo Muffler, New Radiator, Rebuilt A/C system,Rebuilt Rear Diff, LBJ's twice
Dunlop 245/70-16 Rover AT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:33 pm 
LOST Member

Well it seems to have worked. On the first tank after doing the Marvel Mystery Oil my mileage has returned. I also added a bottle of Prestone Fuel System Cleaner to the tank with the last fill-up that I just got done burning through. Engine seems to have more power and responsiveness. Also seems to idle smoother.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:43 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

jg45 wrote:
Well it seems to have worked. On the first tank after doing the Marvel Mystery Oil my mileage has returned. I also added a bottle of Prestone Fuel System Cleaner to the tank with the last fill-up that I just got done burning through. Engine seems to have more power and responsiveness. Also seems to idle smoother.
Good to hear.

Oh by the way never put ATF in a fuel injected engines fuel system,big no-no,bye-bye injectors.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:16 am 
LOST Member

We would only run ATF through the vacuum lines never through the gas. IT does a pretty fair job on cleaning the valves and combustion chambers.