It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 4:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Premium fuel?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:22 am 
LOST Newbie

What Up,
I have 2002 jeep liberty limited with the 3.7 liter V6. I have always put regular 87 octane, as recommended in the owners manual. I was wondering if anyone has experimented with putting premium fuel in there jeep and if there was any difference. Also comments on switching between regular and premium? Do you think its bad for the car or do you think it helps to clean out the fuel system?

Let me know what u think

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:41 am 
LOST Newbie

The octane rating used to determine the difference between regular, mid-grade, and premium does only one thing... it determines the gasoline's resistance to self-detonation under compression. 93 octane gas is more resistant to detonation than 89 octane which in turn is more resistant to self detonation than 87 octane gas. The only reason to run a particular octane rating is to avoid pre-detonation in your engine... low compression engines do not require a high octane rating to avoid this problem..... however, race engines will require a high octane rating to avoid pre-detonation (when the piston compresses the fuel/air mixture so much that it detonates spontaneously, rather than waiting for the spark from the spark plug). The problem with pre-detonation is that the gas mixture explodes BEFORE the piston completes it's travel to the top of it's stroke, causing the piston to suffer tremendous pressures that it's really not designed to take... you'll know if you start having this problem because your engine will make a "pinging" noise... especially under hard acceleration, or possibly want to "diesel" when you turn it off (the engine will try to continue running).... although the "dieseling" symptom is frequently a sign of other woes.

Your engine is rated to run 87 octane because it is a relatively low-compression engine, and will benefit in no way from a higher octane rating, so there is no point in buying premium gas for your KJ unless you just want to spend more money at the pump. :lol:

Luis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:40 am 
LOST Newbie

I read in the manual that using premium octane gasoline may actually decrease your engines performance.

back in the day I had a 1986 cj7 Renegade.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:58 am 
LOST Member

Some new engines specify Premium, they run a little higher compression, Chrysler actually has a lot of them. Engine manufacturers design the fuel delivery system for for a specific Octane rated fuel, Running excess octane usually will not improve your mileage, at least not enough to pay for the extra cost of the fuel, and may decrease the Mileage. Under octane can produce predetonation and decrease the mileage if the engine was designed for higher octane. If you recalibrate your fuel delivery and engine timing with a power programmer you could get more HP out of premium fuel.

2005 CRD Limited 4x4 - Deep Beryl Green - Selec-Trac
Trac-Lok - Skid Plates - BFG Radial Long Trail TA's- Rotella T 5W40 Synthetic.

2007 GC CRD Limited. Silver.

Post subject: Octane
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:23 am 
Thanks for the great info Luis! Joe :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:10 pm 
This member has been Banned

87 in winter, 89 in summer works better for mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 5:06 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

i usually run 87 normally, but wouldnt have a problem using 89 if i was towing heavely or offroading.. thats what the manual says

245/75/16 MTR's
Cobra 75WX, 4' Firefly
BRX Hoses, Clear Corner Lights

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:12 pm 
LOST Newbie

Yeah, bascially if you dont hear spark knocking while using 87 octane then you are fine.

*Pro Car Detailer*

Post subject: 87 Octane
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:04 pm 
LOST Addict

When I got my '02 Sport I was surprised to find it only needed 87. My '95 Dodge Dakota 5.2 L, if I ran 89 I got OK milage but it would sputter and hesitate when I tromped on the gas pedal. When I put in the Super Premium it ran like a bot out of He!!, but milage sucked. Now that my ride isn't so picky and happy to run on the less expencive fuel I'm a Happy Camper. Now if you want to fine the best price of gas in you area GO TO:

http://autos.msn.com/everyday/gasstatio ... =&src=Netx

Just type in your Zip code and you find who has the best price or can plan you travels to pass that on better priced gas. You can be a HAPPY CAMPER TOO

:shock: :D 8) :wink:

PIAA head light bulbs, Fog Light switched out to SilverStar 9005's
MagnaFlo Muffler, New Radiator, Rebuilt A/C system,Rebuilt Rear Diff, LBJ's twice
Dunlop 245/70-16 Rover AT