It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: No yaris for me... yet
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:00 am 
LOST Junkie

so with gas expected to hit 4 bucks per US gallon, how does this affect everyones driving??? is anyone downsizing, or picking up a cheap used gas saver over the next few months??

i'm seriously dodging a big bullet here, as gas prices havent affected me yet. i still drive alot and do alot of urban running around. teh liberty is here to stay. it also helps that i live on base, but come august that changes, so we shall see.

Communications System Provided by: Cobra CB
Navigation provided by: Garmin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:35 pm 
LOST Member

I try not to let the price of gas bother me. I'm just glad we're paying less then overseas. I'm not going to stop driving or trade the jeep in, I will just start driving less and do my food shopping and such while at work and can use the work truck where I dont pay to fill it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:06 pm 
clean machine
clean machine

We're up to $1.25 per liter for regular.....which is about $4.75 per US gallon, near as I can figure it. Anyhow, the increases we've had over the past few years hasn't changed my driving habits much. Seems like everyone else is driving just as much hereabouts, too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:00 am 
Jeep-O-Caching
Jeep-O-Caching

keeping the Jeep and moving in to town to save the 18 miles per day round trip per vehicle. thats 2 gallons of gas a day saved @$3/gallon=$6 /day x 30 =$180/month x 12 =$2160! HEY! I just paid for my lift and wheels!!! 8) :lol: :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:49 pm 
clean machine
clean machine

Since my post above on April 3, our gas prices have gone up twice, and a third is set for this weekend. Today we are paying $5.11 per US gallon for the cheap stuff. By the weekend it'll be $5.19. High test is currently $5.65 per US gallon, going up to $5.76 by this weekend........

Coincidentally, the news last night reported that Petro Canada made over $1 billion profit in the past quarter...

Anyhow, I'm glad the KJ uses regular gas and not high test!!! It's going to be a difference of about 57 cents a US gallon by this weekend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:56 pm 
LOST Member

snowsport wrote:
Since my post above on April 3, our gas prices have gone up twice, and a third is set for this weekend. Today we are paying $5.11 per US gallon for the cheap stuff. By the weekend it'll be $5.19. High test is currently $5.65 per US gallon, going up to $5.76 by this weekend........

Coincidentally, the news last night reported that Petro Canada made over $1 billion profit in the past quarter...

Anyhow, I'm glad the KJ uses regular gas and not high test!!! It's going to be a difference of about 57 cents a US gallon by this weekend.

hhhmmmm.......gas shortage or money hungry ceos/politions. me thinks someone could put a little less money in their pocket and drop the gas price and still be able to make a hefty profit

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 2:43 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member

amen esp. when my sister just told me they are sitting on barrels of oil since they can't sell it, no one has room :roll: :roll: :roll: :twisted: to buy it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 5:02 pm 
LOST Addict

Since you want to retain your Jeep have you considered a Scooter????

Honda has quite the selection and are a real Hoot to ride:

http://powersports.honda.com/scooters/

PIAA head light bulbs, Fog Light switched out to SilverStar 9005's
MagnaFlo Muffler, New Radiator, Rebuilt A/C system,Rebuilt Rear Diff, LBJ's twice
Dunlop 245/70-16 Rover AT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 5:46 pm 
LOST Addict

Gas prices are terrible, and also the price increases in everything elce because of it.

I am driving the KJ less. It has been sleeping in the garage all week and I have been using the car. It gets an easy 28-30 mpg. It is just not as much fun to drive. I will not get rid of the KJ.

I am making less seperate trips and combining them into one. There is no real mass transit around here and a decent store (the mall) is 15 miles one way.

I have slowed down to the speed of between 65-70 on the interstate. It is hard but I am getting used to it. I stay between 55-60 on all the county roads. (55 speed limit everywhere except in town where it is 30)

I check my tire pressures more frequently. I just changed my air filter and pcv. I am getting ready to change the plugs.

Past that there is not much elce I can think of to do.

Everybody that has one is using their bikes. Had about 8 of them pass me on the interstate yesterday. (burrrrr - still cold to ride) Last time I got gas there was 3 harleys and one car (me) at the pumps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 7:04 pm 
clean machine
clean machine

Rush345 wrote:

Many years ago I had a Vespa 100cc scooter. I was living in downtown Vancouver, and it was ideal. It got about 70 miles to a gallon, and I could park it anywhere. Then one day I was driving over the Lion's Gate bridge and the wind forced me into the oncoming lane. :shock: I was lucky I stayed on the bridge, and that's a LOOOOONG way down!!!

I'll keep the KJ. It's like riding in a friggin brick. MPG is only one thing to think about, even though it's getting more important every week!!

Now don't get me wrong, scooters are fantastic for dense city living, and more people would benefit from having one. My city here isn't a good place for one, IMO. It's a smaller city with a LOT of huge trucks roaring around at all hours of the day and night. I don't think they'd notice a scooter caught in their grille until they washed their truck..... :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 8:21 pm 
LOST Addict

snowsport wrote:
Rush345 wrote:

Many years ago I had a Vespa 100cc scooter. I was living in downtown Vancouver, and it was ideal. It got about 70 miles to a gallon, and I could park it anywhere. Then one day I was driving over the Lion's Gate bridge and the wind forced me into the oncoming lane. :shock: I was lucky I stayed on the bridge, and that's a LOOOOONG way down!!!

I'll keep the KJ. It's like riding in a friggin brick. MPG is only one thing to think about, even though it's getting more important every week!!

Now don't get me wrong, scooters are fantastic for dense city living, and more people would benefit from having one. My city here isn't a good place for one, IMO. It's a smaller city with a LOT of huge trucks roaring around at all hours of the day and night. I don't think they'd notice a scooter caught in their grille until they washed their truck..... :lol:

I got familiar with the Honda Helix Scooter years ago Dad bought one for Mom it was 250CC and Dad was riding a Gold Wing. I was highly impressed that with a 250 CC motor I could take in on the highway no problem now Honda has a lot more selections from 49cc Ruckus for $2,049.00 to their Silver Wing which is a 582cc scooter $8,099.00 all of them with an automatic tranny . Great fun sips gas and is a no brainer to ride.

PIAA head light bulbs, Fog Light switched out to SilverStar 9005's
MagnaFlo Muffler, New Radiator, Rebuilt A/C system,Rebuilt Rear Diff, LBJ's twice
Dunlop 245/70-16 Rover AT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 11:45 pm 

One of my Ex's learned how to ride and get her motorcycle license on a Honda 150, I think thats what it is, I still have it down home in the garage, I should get it back out and try and sell it now!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 11:48 pm 
LOST Addict

http://money.cnn.com/2008/02/01/news/co ... _earnings/
http://uk.reuters.com/article/oilRpt/id ... 5520080501

11 billion profit, and you should drive a yaris.. or an ffin horse carriage..... soon people will start setting gas stations on fire

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 11:52 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I quite going out to eat as much, go home for lunch instead of eating out. I also quite buying anything but gas from the gas stations, I figure they get enough of my money when I fill up. But as for my SUV's, I'll keep them.

L.O.S.T. #DW090501

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 12:21 pm 
LOST Newbie

I have a Kawasaki Vulcan 900 that I ride all summer so only put about 6,000 km on the Jeep. Helps to keep the gas prices down and mileage off the Jeep. Just got the Jeep but had an 89 Cherokee before that. That was a great vehicle for the ice and snow. Hope the Liberty is as good. I will put snow tires on when the time comes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 8:27 pm 
LOST Member

I see it this way. The more gas I consume now @ $3.54 the better VALUE I am getting, cause next year It will be $5 something for the same amount..... :D

My other solution:

Drive the wife's Truck (she pays for the gas !!) :twisted:

81' CJ5 Renegade with the Iron Duke, 2.5" Rusty's lift, JKS disconnects, Weber carb

RIP : 04 Liberty Sport Patriot Blue

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:22 pm 
clean machine
clean machine

This week we're up to $5.42 per US gallon ($1.43 per liter) for low grade (87). That's an increase of 70 cents per US gallon in two months.

In the news today some gas stations in Canada have been charged with price fixing, and a bunch of people got fined fairly heavily for it.
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/s ... TopStories

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:02 pm 
LOST Junkie

you could get around all day on a gallon with this http://powersports.honda.com/scooters/d ... =749&h=519
as far as the yaris, ya better get one in your favorite color cuz if ya get hit in it youll be burried in it.
i know this isnt about the stupid yaris, but jmo they are coffins on skates.
gas sucks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:00 am 
My dad's got an old '81 Yamaha 80 street/trail that's titled and registerable sitting in the shed.

I think it'll go 50ish? I need to goad him into bringing it down this weekend...he's not doing anything with it.

If nothing else, it'll pick up chicks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:21 am 

ThunderbirdJunkie wrote:
My dad's got an old '81 Yamaha 80 street/trail that's titled and registerable sitting in the shed.

I think it'll go 50ish? I need to goad him into bringing it down this weekend...he's not doing anything with it.

If nothing else, it'll pick up chicks!

pickin up chicks on a Yamaha 80 , I really want to see the chicks you pick up with that one :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I am making another trip south this weekend , may bring the Honda scooter up and try to get it running again after 10 years just for fun! Don't need it to save gas ya know :wink: