It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gas Mileage vs temperature
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:30 pm 
LOST Newbie

I have a Liberty with the 4 Cy engine. It was absolutely great on gas mileage until I started tinkering with a lift, tires etc....which is to be expected. Still, with 265/70R17 tires I get over 20 MPG on reasonably level terrain.

Where my mileage falls off is on hotter days. I can see an obvious difference in engine performance & gas mileage between a 65 F day and one that's 85 F.

When it gets into the 90's the Liberty starts to run poorly. I have to drop a gear to get up hills and the gas mileage suffers when it hits 95 F. I keep it tuned up and doesn't miss, but it's had this issue since about 30K miles.

Any ideas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:33 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Have you changed the plugs and wires? Diff fluids? Manual trans fluid? You will get worse mpg's in hot weather from running AC and also the intake air temps are increased,hot air is less dense then colder air.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:22 pm 
LOST Newbie

tjkj2002 wrote:
Have you changed the plugs and wires? Diff fluids? Manual trans fluid? You will get worse mpg's in hot weather from running AC and also the intake air temps are increased,hot air is less dense then colder air.

Sure have, well most of that. Just finished changing out 5 speed fluid and will get diff cases again soon. As for tune up, I have all new plugs, wires, air cleaner etc etc.... As I mentioned before, then decided to come over here and get serious about finding an answer.... There are two temperature sensors on a Liberty, one is for outside temp vs air cond and the other I believe is air intake temperature. That second one might be my problem. Then there is the oxygen sensor, not sure if the Liberty turns on the red engine light when that goes bad or not. I should change it just to be sure.

Correct on the less dense air, but I got through all the mountain passes last summer going to Salt Lake City. I took the back roads not the Interstates and the little engine made it, with good use of the 5 speed of course.