It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Shedding Pounds
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:16 am 
LOST Member

Since my spare is blown, I took it off along with the mount from the tailgate. I have also removed the crossbars from my roof rack. I have not driven it enough to know what kind of difference it will make on my MPG. Now, because I can't afford to take it off-road for a while, I am considering taking off my Mopar armor and rock rails.

How much of an improvement in mileage did any of you get by removing weight from your Jeeps?

What did you all remove to reduce the weight?

Custom made intake, Custom made rear shelf
http://profile.imageshack.us/user/monsieurglen/

Post subject: Re: Shedding Pounds
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:58 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I would put a full sized/matching spare back on,the 0.1mpg hit is more then worth it compared to a towing bill.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:05 pm 
LOST Member

tjkj2002 wrote:
I would put a full sized/matching spare back on,the 0.1mpg hit is more then worth it compared to a towing bill.

When I get the money to replace all of my tires, I'll put it back on. Luckily, my insurance covers towing if I need it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:21 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I'm not sure which company you have for auto insurance... But my old company dropped me for "too many" claims.
I paid for the road side assistance, and each incident is a "claim". Even if it's only $50 for a tow.
I would look into it and double check.
like Troy said, you're better off having a spare.
most Towing companies don't have tires with them, and depending on the type of flat, it might not be fixable.
Definitely not worth the headache in my eyes.
8)

4.10s sitting in a box - 3

Sold-1988 Suzuki Samurai
2002 Jeep TJ

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:42 pm 
LOST Member

The main reason that I took the spare off is that it already had a gaping hole in it. Riding on the highway would make it vibrate causing a rough ride and the TPMS light kept flashing so it was just useless weight hanging back there. Whether it is still mounted or not, I would need to call for a tow anyways.

My wife and I carpool most of the time, but sometimes I do need to drive, that is why I was wondering if this would save any fuel.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:57 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Strip the back seats ,interior,all your skids and such and I bet it does not come to 500lbs. that leaves 3500+lbs to propel. My thoughts are if you bought a Liberty for fuel mileage "you" are pretty silly.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:49 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

ridenby wrote:
Strip the back seats ,interior,all your skids and such and I bet it does not come to 500lbs. that leaves 3500+lbs to propel. My thoughts are if you bought a Liberty for fuel mileage "you" are pretty silly.

:-)r :-)r :-)r :-)r :-)r :-)r :-)r :-)r :-)r :-)r

But all so true!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To go more extreme then what ridenby listed you can also ripout the front diff,CV axles,and front driveshaft.That's good for about 100lbs weight reduction,no added gains from not spinning a front diff,only gains by weight reduction.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:01 pm 
LOST Junkie

Don't remove the fuel tank skid...my dad was driving his brand new 07 Grand Caravan on I95 outside Richmond, VA in '07 when there was some crap in the road that he had to run over at speed because traffic was bumper to bumper at speed and a semi on his tail. Crap popped up and lodged in his fuel tank (plastic). A little ways down the road his full tank of gas was gone. Plastic tanks are vulnerable without the metal skid.

LOST#99, Mid-Atlantic LOST
Blue 2003 KJ Sport

RL Super Skinks

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:12 pm 
LOST Member

ridenby wrote:
:roll:
I didn't buy it for the fuel economy. I bought it because it is a JEEP and I like the outdoors. My problem is that things are a little tight financially at the moment, as I said in my original post:
MonsieurGlen wrote:
Now, because I can't afford to take it off-road for a while

But if you must throw insults, I guess you have never heard what they say about trying to pick fights on the internet. :twisted:
Blue KJ in PA wrote:
Don't remove the fuel tank skid...my dad was driving his brand new 07 Grand Caravan on I95 outside Richmond, VA in '07 when there was some crap in the road that he had to run over at speed because traffic was bumper to bumper at speed and a semi on his tail. Crap popped up and lodged in his fuel tank (plastic). A little ways down the road his full tank of gas was gone. Plastic tanks are vulnerable without the metal skid.

That is the one skid that I do not plan to remove.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:55 pm 
LOST Member

I had my skids(front diff and tcase) off to clean all the mud stuck on them. I gave them a few coats of rustoleum and figured id try leaving them off. Had them off since November and there was no change in the mileage, so i put them back on to do what they are supposed to do.

And as much as we hate clean jeeps, a Jeep free of clutter inside and a wash will help marginally as well. All that mud outside and underneath really adds up

IRO 3 Linked
245/75 Duratracs

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:47 pm 
LOST Addict

I agree i would turn it into a 2 wheel drive for awhile I shouldn't be that hard and the extra lack of the lack of extra rolling resistance will probably be the biggest gain.also I know your hurting for money but a good oil, filter,spark plug & wire change will also help if it hasnt been done in awhile. I know my exes jeep gained 2 mpg after I did a tune up hers.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:16 pm 
LOST Member

audiboy86 wrote:
I agree i would turn it into a 2 wheel drive for awhile I shouldn't be that hard and the extra lack of the lack of extra rolling resistance will probably be the biggest gain.also I know your hurting for money but a good oil, filter,spark plug & wire change will also help if it hasnt been done in awhile. I know my exes jeep gained 2 mpg after I did a tune up hers.

I keep up on all the maintenance pretty regularly. The only maintenance that I need now is a new set of tires with a spare.

I will say that since we have been carpooling and we have shed some excess expenses elsewhere, it has not been such a burden lately. I haven't been driving it a lot lately, but when soccer season comes later this month I will need to drive it a lot more again.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:31 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

it gets better mpgs if you rip out the front AND rear diffs.. may as well remove the starter and battery too while you're at it :P

Lift: ft. 790+ rr. JBA4+
The last of the TrailReady Front&Rear Bumpers and TR Rock Rails
Jarhead Offroad light covers
31x10.5R15 RedLetter Grabbers on Blackrock Dunes
L.O.S.T #KD098632