It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: horrible mpg! help.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:56 am 
LOST Newbie

1st off, hey guys, new here, finally signed up. Couldnt find answers anywhere so thought i'd ask the vets. I gotta 07 jeep liberty, 4wd, 3.7L. 235/70r16 tires. I'm getting 13-14mpg HWY without a heavy foot and no lift, no added weight or cargo. I've recently changed the oil with full synthetic (always full synthetic),which increased my mpg to 18mpg but 3 weeks later it fell back to 13-14, copper spark plugs, new air filter, tires are properly inflated, no fault codes and i'm still getting this horrible mpg. I live in WA and I wanna lift it, but i'm deathly afraid of how much more my mpg will decrease. Anyone out there have any ideas? prior experiences/solutions? or is it just a lemon? any would be GREATLY appreciated, thanks all!

Post subject: Re: horrible mpg! help.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:15 pm 
LOST Newbie

are you driving up and down hills much? asking since it's wva and i've had pleasure of navigating those mountains going to snowshoe for skiing trips.

JBA 2.5 adjust a strut lift kit, JBA 5.5 A-Arm
255/70/18 Destination AT

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:37 pm 
LOST Newbie

Nope, mostly flat slight hills, but according to other forums, lifted kjs are getting better mpg than me:(

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:46 pm 
LOST Newbie

Think that I might be looking for binding brakes. Leaking fuel lines. Or one cylinder not firing.. Possible timing fault. Or choke not coming off when warm. Bit of a process of elimination really.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:02 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Lots of unknowns yet
these are just a few things to check out

Brakes dragging
PCV valve replacement when was that last time
miles on the spark plugs
diff fluid change
transfer case fluid change
if when driving you let it dog down
for example mine when on a back two lane road at 50 or so it dogs down, kick the overdrive off and it gets 2-3 MPG more at least when ran more closer to that RPM sweet spot
lots of things can affect mileage

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:07 pm 
LOST Newbie

Brake not an issue, haven't changed PVC, spark plugs done 200 miles ago along with air filter and synthetic oil. Transfer case,tranny and diffs Friday. Isn't turning off o/d bad or not healthy unless towing? And what kind of mpg decrease am I looking at with frankenlift and 245/75r16?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:33 pm 

Lift will decrease gas mileage some but choice of wheels and tires is almost more of an issue
How can turning off the OD be bad? Keeps it from shifting back and forth. Been running mine that way since brand new. No issues and 20.5-21 mpgs on the road :wink: and mines a heavy pig

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:31 am 
LOST Newbie

My personal best is 23.8mpg, and I've never changed the PCV valve, I'm doing that next.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:50 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Sure beats my average of 10-12 mpg city, 07 also. New factory cats, new pcv(4th one since 20,000), new plugs(factory NGK), new air filter, Amsoil engine oil/ filter, rear diff just changed, 4 different ox sensors(including overpriced OEM's), check engine light comes and goes. TB is cleaner than a new one. Given many theories but still have to get in into the dealership for them to plug and play then give me a bill for more stuff. Great canidate for a trade in. .<-- see period?
edit: can't forget all the recall parts and warrentied item, too many to list. :banghead: Oh and the trany is also on the way out the door, since 20,000 miles which will probably take a few more regulators with it. The Heep has 58,000 :dead:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:45 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

BugginKJ wrote:
: Oh and the trany is also on the way out the door, :

That right there is a major mpg factor on newer vehicles.A bad trans can effect mpg's up to 50% loss or more in mpg's,incorrect speedo reading also drastically effects how the trans works and again drastically effects mpg's.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:57 pm 
LOST Newbie

I know my speedo is off by 1-2 mph, how can I see If my tranny is bad?? Possibly just a fluid change or?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:02 pm 
LOST Newbie

Just a thought... When driving in Lo range the Timing is automatically retarded... Is it possible that this vehicle is running with retarded timing in high ranges . If so maybe a diagnostic plug in is required???

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:27 pm 
LOST Newbie

im gonna take it in n have all the possible issues looked at, if nothing helps, i wont lift it and i'll just trade it later. I mean, if i wanted 10mpg, i can step up to and h2,h3, already lifted with a lil more space, but ok, thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:48 pm 

Glad I get 20-21 on the highway! :BANANA:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:09 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

tjkj2002 wrote:
BugginKJ wrote:
: Oh and the trany is also on the way out the door, :

That right there is a major mpg factor on newer vehicles.A bad trans can effect mpg's up to 50% loss or more in mpg's,incorrect speedo reading also drastically effects how the trans works and again drastically effects mpg's.

Maybe I should put you in touch with all the dealers I have been to in Toledo while under warranty and told them the trans was bad. Nope they stuffed in a torque converter and called it good even though the trans was bad. Ask Tom, I took him for a drive when I first got it. Now that I am out of warranty the dealer would like to sell me a trans, funny politicians and dealers are almost the same, they love to lie.
I did however in all honesty get a hold of a dealership here that has recently taken on the Heep line, they are more than willing to work with me if they can get the computer to say the trans is causing the low catylist efficiency code p0420. :dizzy:
:banghead:
tommudd wrote:
Glad I get 20-21 on the highway! :BANANA:

AND you can shut up now :goink: Won't you be mad when ya wake up to a white one in your garage, I am going to keep my leather wrapped handles however :jester:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:28 am 
LOST Newbie

I refuse to put a new tranny in a five year car, it'll get used as target practice first!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:32 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

guntruck07 wrote:
I refuse to put a new tranny in a five year car, it'll get used as target practice first!

Yep, hoping to use my full coverage some time soon. :BINGO: Pathetic a vehicle with this few miles and this young has had more issues than a grandmother with a replacement hip falling down stairs :banghead:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:39 am 

guntruck07 wrote:

Depends on miles and how it has been used
I've had to put a trans in a 5 year old pickup before, but then it had an average of 45,000 per year put on it , plus it was a GM product! :-)r

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:54 pm 
LOST Member

I find it surprising that some unhelpful person didn't diarehea out the mouth "if you wanted good gas mileage, sell it for something esle" as if all those other owners of other types of cars aren't searching for better fuel economy as well.

Best I've gotten was abour 24MPG doing 70MPH
Mostly its about 14-15MPG

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:28 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Boomerang wrote:
I find it surprising that some unhelpful person didn't diarehea out the mouth "if you wanted good gas mileage, sell it for something esle" as if all those other owners of other types of cars aren't searching for better fuel economy as well.

Best I've gotten was abour 24MPG doing 70MPH
Mostly its about 14-15MPG

You really want me to say it?