It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Updated Kj Lifespan--Let's hear it?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:07 am 
LOST Newbie

I was reading through the 100k+ thread and it looked like most of those posts were from several years ago which made me wonder how many miles y'all have racked up since then. I also was wondering what all maintenance y'all have been doing and any major repairs that you have had to execute? I'll start it off I guess, list like your vehicle, mileage, repairs, and any complaints? :)

2004 Jeep Liberty Sport 4x4
Bought in 2011 with 62,000 on it
Today I have 87,000 on it

Oil changed every 3,000-4,000 miles/rotate tires at the same time
Differentials/t-case/transmission fluid flushed at 55k and 81k miles
Suspension is lifted with OME full lift kit at 83k miles [4k miles on it now]
Upper Control arms for lifted Kjs at 83k miles too

Repairs- [Mostly caused by excessive wheeling! :)]
-Steering pump and system were leaking and concerned of failure, replace.
-Brake Callipers, Roters, and Pads all replaced at 85k due to being worn past the point of return.
-Front Driveshaft replaced after some hard wheeling it crapped out and was making awful noises
-Rear Driveshaft Joints-unsure of cause, possible just wheeling, the shaft came lose and just about fell off[made terrible noise and vibration]
-Tailgate- backed into a tree and put a nice big ol dent in the tailgate that wasn't repairable so I got a 'new to me' tailgate from a junkyard. [I think the 'new to me' one is in a lot of better shape than my old one before it was dented! woop woop :)]

I really like driving my Kj and could see driving it to its grave. I do take it off road a lot but a lot of the miles are highway. I see about 12 mpg city and 17mpg highway with stock gears and no modifications to the engine/exhaust.

Complaints about the KJ-
-GAS MILEAGE- Now i know you don't buy a Jeep for fuel efficiency but with a 19.5 gallon fuel tank I am at the gas station 2-3 times a week. I tend to get 200 miles out of a tank filling up at 1/8.
-Seats- seats are not the most comfortable but for something that gets soaked, muddy, sandy, and baked in the sun constantly they are holding up great
-AFTERMARKET- There is such a limited market of customization for the KJ compared to other Jeeps unless you can fabricate things yourself
-LOUD- Again, it's a Jeep, you can't expect it to be a quiet ride but when I am in a head on wind, man does it whistle. I'm sure my roof rails only hurt the noise level too
REPUTATION- People tend to put these little Jeeps down, not that I need to tell anybody on this forum that. They get a bad name for being unibody or the IFS or all the other silly names that get branded to it but at the end of the day it's just one big Jeep family with fighting brothers and sisters.

31x10.5x15 BFG AT
Hella Blackmagic Lights
Bermuda Black LED Taillights

Post subject: Re: Updated Kj Lifespan--Let's hear it?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:00 am 
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

2004 bought new
12/20/13 has 194,000 miles
All maintenance done ahead of schedule or from what Jeep says it should be
all diff fluids/transfer case changed at 15-16,000 miles, spark plugs every 24-25,000, cooling system flushed 5 times so far, power steering flushed out 5 times, brakes bleed to get rid of old fluid 4 times and the list goes on
besides normal wear items
Have had to replace the radiator once
transmission rebuilt even with fluid changes 4 times
same water pump/power steering pump etc all original
City if I stay off the pedal 17-18, highway 20.5-21 all say long at 75 plus

Its heavy with aftermarket front and rear bumpers, skid row, Kilby, 4XGuard skids, RL roof rack etc
Has been lifted 174,000 miles, had 4 different lifts one was a test lift so not many miles on it, has had many suspension changes trying different things to see if they were feasible or not. So my suspension has been apart way more than most, lower ball joints replace at 90,000 miles and still tight now, one outer right side tie rod end, rest are stock
I don't think its noisy at all on the highway, cruises just fine
no real complaints except I need to find another brand new black 2004 with zero miles that has been mothballed since new

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:22 pm 
LOST Newbie

2005 Jeep Liberty Sport 4x4
Bought in 2011 with 80,000 on it
As of this morning 190,000 miles on it

Oil changed every ~6,000 with full synthetic
Differentials/t-case/transmission changed at 100k and 150k

Repairs-
A/C Compressor
Radiator
Water Pump
Power Steering Pressure Hose
A/C Condenser (from an accident)
Shocks and Struts at 100k miles
Ball Joints about every 50k miles
1 - O2 Sensor - caught the wire on something

Planned Upgrades
OME Lift
JBA Upper Arms
Drive Shaft U-Joints
Ball Joints (again)
Rear Control Arms
31" tires
Hella Lights

Wife an I were a 1 car family. Now that she has her own car (Subaru Forester) I have been given the go ahead for upgrades. My motto with any car is to drive it till it dies. Thankfully all repairs have been easy to do by myself, it saves a ton on upkeep costs. Recently relocated from Philadelphia to Albany, NY so now I should be able to use the Libby to its full potential.

The only complaints that I have are:
-The seats get easily stained.
-My windshield is a rock magnet.
-Wish the ball joints didn't fail so fast. However as of lately i think its the potholes causing most of the issues.

I'm not too concerned about the mileage. I knew from the get-go that it was pretty low for the size of the vehicle. I would say my driving has been about 85% highway and 15% city.

I really like the vehicle. It chews up anything I can throw at it and keeps chugging along.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 1:54 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I bought my 03 KJ new. It has about 119K miles on it. Guess I don't drive as much as some people.

I tend to not do most of the routine maintenance myself. For a number of years maintenance was done by a local dealer that I liked. For the past few years work is done by a more old-fashioned garage that specializes largely in 4x4s.

In general I try to replace the struts and rear shocks every 50K miles. I've run three suspensions and three lifts. At 100K miles I did a major overhaul of the suspension and front drive train. See following for lots of details: http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=66870

Not everything is on that list. For example I rebuilt the front driveshaft and replaced the rear boomerang (tri-link control arm).

The radiator had to be replaced.

The brakes were completely rebuilt not too long ago.

I can't remember any issues with engine, transmission or transfer case. It's kind of amazing because I do not baby it.

Of course I had to fix lots of window regulators, ultimately putting Steiger kits in both rear sets.

Recently I had the front driver seat cloth repaired with OEM fabric as there were some wear areas. Nothing bad.

I'm about to replace the roof rails as the plastic parts show problems. I'll probably buy the lightest Rock Lizard HD roof rails. I like the current acceleration and am trying to keep the weight down.

I'm about to buy new tires, only the fourth set. For the last set I rotated six BFG TA/KOs load range E, so they lasted a long time. Next I'm going with load range C Duratracs, in part to cut down weight.

The steering rack bushings need to be replaced. Need to look more carefully at steering linkage.

Still have original exhaust because I live in AZ. :)

Rear springs were only replaced once with lift. They'll need to be replaced in next 20K miles. My front UCAs will need rebuilding or replacement around then as well. (They're not original and have maybe 40K or 50K miles on them.)

I had to replace the rear window strut! :)

That's all that comes to mind!

[edit]
When I regeared, both the front and rear differentials were rebuilt.

I forgot that I never replaced the bushings in the rear LCAs. I need to do that.

Except for the rear differential, the rear drivetrain (driveshaft, axle bearings, etc) is still stock.

4.10 gears, front & rear ARB lockers, Boulder Bars, AFE Stage 2 intake
Surco rack w BajaRack jerry can holder
Cobra 75 WX ST

06 LJ Rubi, 3.5" RE SA and 33" BFG KM2s, GenRight tank

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 5:43 pm 
LOST Junkie

2005 Renegade

Given to me by the original owner with a blown tranny at 79,900 miles. Has 86,000 on it now and going strong.

Other than a used transmission with lower miles, I've only done maintenance things to it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:57 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

At 119K miles, can add following to list:

Water pump (bearings on original just failed spectacularly)
    Motor mounts
    Transmission mount
    Rebuild front drive shaft
    Steering rack bushings

I'm going to pay a shop way too much to do this (especially the motor and transmission mounts). :banghead: If I'd planned better I could have done it, but now am too busy.

4.10 gears, front & rear ARB lockers, Boulder Bars, AFE Stage 2 intake
Surco rack w BajaRack jerry can holder
Cobra 75 WX ST

06 LJ Rubi, 3.5" RE SA and 33" BFG KM2s, GenRight tank

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:03 pm 
LOST Newbie

Bought new Nov 2001. 209,7XX miles. 3 front diffs,3 batteries,1 alternator,1 radiator,2 water pumps,a few CV axles,4 upper a-arms,Moog LBJs,needs a propellor shaft CV, lots of brakes and tires. Some rust appearing in several places. Gets driven 182 miles a day commuting to work. 245/75-16,Frankenlift and skids. I got no complaints.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:11 pm 
LOST Junkie

^ Awesome stuff! :D

927/948 OME Springs - Bilstein Shocks - JBA Upper Control Arms - Rage Black Widow Roof Basket - Viper 3606V Alarm System

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:31 pm 
LOST Newbie

I have 209,384 miles on my 2002. It had 112,000 miles on it when I bought it in 2010. I've had to replace the water pump and AC compressor. Other than that, just routine maintenance. I don't abuse mine and mostly use the 4 wheel drive during the winter.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 3:34 am 
LOST Newbie

2005 CRD
Bought at 90,000klms (I'm Australian) now up to 200,000 klms
Front driveshaft
OME 2 inch lift with JBA UCAs
Lower ball joint gave out when my daughter was driving it. Lucky she was in traffic
Nothing much else but I can say it has to be the loudest engine I have ever owned apart from a 1984 HJ47 Landcruiser.
Thats all I can think of.