It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Ways to Improve your Gas Mileage
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:20 pm 
LOST Member

I CAN'T BELIEVE I JUST SAW THIS ON THE YAHOO! HOMEPAGE! It has the answers to some of the methods in question.

1. Airflow gadgets -- $90+ wasted

The Theory: High-tech devices designed to increase your engine's airflow will improve fuel efficiency.

The Facts: It sounds plausible, but the results don't back up the impressive claims. Consumer Reports tested several of the devices, such as Fuel Genie ($89.95, plus shipping), that purport to increase fuel economy by accelerating airflow to the engine. The tests found no noticeable gains in MPGs, despite claims of 50% fuel savings. While it's true that drastically increasing the airflow to an engine is a common way to increase horsepower (i.e. forced induction through turbo and superchargers), doing so will actually increase fuel consumption and increase wear on the engine, not to mention that this proven technology costs significantly more than its gimmicky competition.

2. Fuel additives -- $5 to $250 wasted (per treatment)

The Theory: The gas we buy can be improved by adding scientifically formulated chemicals that will increase fuel efficiency and, sometimes, horsepower.

The Facts: Clearly, some drivers believe the answer to their fuel woes lies in a magic elixir, because there are numerous fuel treatments that claim to increase MPGs, despite no scientific proof or explanation of how less fuel is burned. According to CNN.com, one common tactic used by shady fuel-additive makers is to tout the product's approval by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). This suggests that a trusted consumer watchdog has approved the product's claims, but in fact, the EPA had only deemed that the product does not increase a vehicle's harmful emissions. The truth is, if there were an additive that made fuel burn more efficiently, oil companies would be racing to market their new gas at the pumps and gain a bigger market share.

3. Premium fuel -- $4 wasted per tank (on average)

The Theory: Premium gas provides increased performance and better gas mileage.

The Facts: This is true ... if you own a premium automobile that requires high-octane gas, but these cars make up the minority of daily drivers. So if you're in the majority -- drooling over Ferraris from the seat of your Corolla -- your car's engine control unit (ECU) is programmed to run on the octane levels present in regular gas. Increasing the octane -- either through buying premium gas or adding bottles of octane-boost -- can actually cause the engine to be less efficient, as the car's combustion timing becomes altered and efficiency is lost. But the most noticeable loss will be the extra 20 cents per gallon you'll be wasting to buy high-octane gas. A safe bet is that if you can afford a vehicle that requires only premium fuel, you likely aren't concerned with gas prices or tracking mileage.

4. Over-inflated tires -- $200 wasted (minimum)

The Theory: Rounder tires roll easier, creating less work for the engine and therefore, better MPG.

The Facts: Again, this tip is true ... to a point. Over inflated tires will have less friction with the road, which lessens the effort the engine exerts to keep the car rolling, providing slight gas savings. However, overinflated tires will wear out quickly and irregularly, causing you to need early replacements at a cost of about $50 to $100 per tire. What's worse is that the decreased contact with the road increases stopping distances and limits handling capabilities. This all adds up to a large risk in costly accidents and injuries. Even if you are lucky and avoid a collision, it would take a lifetime (which could very well be short if you're riding on bald and bulbous tires) for your fuel savings to negate the cost of four new tires. According to Edmunds.com's testing, the fuel consumption difference between driving with over-inflated tires and tires at the recommended pressure is negligible. Sometimes, despite what GM's recent track record suggests, carmakers do know what they're doing and the recommended settings and levels do provide the best results.

5. Roll down windows rather than using air conditioning -- comfort wasted

The Theory: Operating the AC to cool the vehicle uses fuel, so it's more efficient to cool off by driving with the windows down.

The Facts: While it's true that some fuel is used to operate the AC compressor, as much or more fuel is lost when the windows are down. Rolling down the windows increases the drag on the car, which causes the car to work harder to maintain its speed. For even better mileage, you can improve your AC's efficiency by using the re-circulation setting on the car's HVAC system instead of forcing the AC to cool the hot air from outside. Heeding this tip will increase your mileage, as well as your comfort.

The Bottom Line

The act of saving gas borders on sport for some thrifty drivers, but extreme measures don't always equal extreme savings. And while some gas-saving methods will offer a few cents per tank in savings, the safety concerns of these methods outweigh any benefits to your bank balance. It's a boring realization, but the real road to fuel savings lies in common-sense approaches like avoiding unnecessary driving and idling, driving the speed limit and performing regular vehicle maintenance. You won't amaze anyone with this practical approach, but it's better than shocking people with useless purchases, a battered car and a wind-swept hairdo.

Headlights-3000k HID...illegal
Fog Lights-3000k HID...illegal
Tail Lights- black nightshade...illegal
Turn signals- clear lens w/ clear bulb...illegal
All windows- 5% tint...illegal

Cop following me...CRAP

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:13 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Mmmmhhmmm. What about filling up more often? I find my mileage to be better if I keep over 1\2... Am I crazy? (are we?)

OME 926/948 w/ OME Shocks, 3/8 Boiler, 1" LTT, a bit of Clevis lift
MOPAR Skids, Custom trans skid
Valley Roof Basket with Extension (when required), Homemade fence post crossbars with Thule system to compliment
Mastercraft A\T Something or another...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:48 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

bunkermonkeycw wrote:
Mmmmhhmmm. What about filling up more often? I find my mileage to be better if I keep over 1\2... Am I crazy? (are we?)

Just to be sure, you are calculating your mileage by hand, correct? The only reason I ask is because I don't see any reason why keeping your gas tank more full should improve mpg.... I have, however, heard of people who don't fill their tank over halfway to improve mpg by carrying around less weight in fuel. That's crazy. :ROTFL: (it might help, but not much)

GDE Eco Tune, GDE TCM Tune, Bauer 203* Tstat, Amsoil EaA 201 Filter, Clean MAP, Samco CAC Hoses, Magnaflow Muffler #12226.
New Mopar Fuel Filter, K&N Filterminder, Fumoto Oil Drain Valve
225/75R16 Hankook Dynapros

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:59 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

bunkermonkeycw wrote:

With modern vehicles with a EVAP system it will get slightly better mpg's with a fuller tank,nothing I would consider worth it but the pure fact a tank that never drops below 1/2 is better for your fuel pump which can lead to big mpg increases.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:51 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

tjkj2002 wrote:
bunkermonkeycw wrote:

With modern vehicles with a EVAP system it will get slightly better mpg's with a fuller tank,nothing I would consider worth it but the pure fact a tank that never drops below 1/2 is better for your fuel pump which can lead to big mpg increases.

WOOT! Backup!

OME 926/948 w/ OME Shocks, 3/8 Boiler, 1" LTT, a bit of Clevis lift
MOPAR Skids, Custom trans skid
Valley Roof Basket with Extension (when required), Homemade fence post crossbars with Thule system to compliment
Mastercraft A\T Something or another...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:27 pm 
LOST Member

Looks like I'll be changing back to 87 octane and running the A/C on the highway. I'll still use fuel additives probably only when I change the oil though. Keeping it above a quarter tank too. Surprising facts!

Cop following me...CRAP

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:09 pm 
LOST Member

brettacuff wrote:

5. Roll down windows rather than using air conditioning -- comfort wasted

... For even better mileage, you can improve your AC's efficiency by using the re-circulation setting on the car's HVAC system instead of forcing the AC to cool the hot air from outside. Heeding this tip will increase your mileage, as well as your comfort.

I read in the owners manual just the other day that it highly recommends against using the recirculation setting for more than 10 minutes at a time.

quoted directly from the manual below:

For Manual AC Control
"Recirculation Control
Use this button to block the flow of outside air
from coming into the passenger compartment.
A light will illuminate when the system is in
recirculation mode. Only use the recirculation
mode as a temporary means to block out any outside
odors, smoke, or dust, and to cool the interior rapidly
upon initial start up in very hot or humid weather.

NOTE:
• Continuous use of the recirculation mode may make
the inside air stuffy and window fogging may occur.
Extended use of this mode is not recommended.
• The use of the recirculation mode in cold or damp
weather will cause windows to fog on the inside,
because of moisture build-up inside the vehicle. Select
the Outside Air position for maximum defogging.
• The A/C will engage automatically to prevent fogging
when the recirculation button is pressed and the mode
control is set to panel or panel / floor."

Operating Tips
NOTE: Refer to the chart at the end of this section for
suggested control settings for various weather conditions.
Summer Operation
The engine cooling system in air-conditioned vehicles
must be protected with a high-quality antifreeze coolant
to provide proper corrosion protection and to protect
against engine overheating. A 50% solution of ethylene
glycol antifreeze coolant in water is recommended. Refer
to “Maintenance Procedures” in Section 7 of this manual
for proper coolant selection.
Winter Operation
Use of the air Recirculation mode during winter months
is not recommended because it may cause window
fogging.
Vacation Storage
Anytime you store your vehicle, or keep it out of service
(i.e., vacation) for two weeks or more, run the air
conditioning system at idle for about five minutes in the
fresh air and high blower settings. This will ensure
adequate system lubrication to minimize the possibility
of compressor damage when the system is started again."

Theres a ton of into in there for people with the AUTO AC

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:29 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

What kinds of mpg boosts have people seen by adding a more free-flowing muffler to their Liberty? I have an 08 KK and I was looking to add a Magnaflow muffler to it. Could I expect it to negate any loss of mileage due to a 2" lift?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:47 pm 
LOST Member

my JET 2 chip is paying dividends

i was getting about 17.5 before i put it in. its been about 5 fill-ups since i installed the k&n drop in, flowmaster 40, and the chip, and my MPGs have gotten better over time.

i am up to 19.2 mpgs. i'm pretty much 50-50 hwy-city. When i first got the chip i was driving like an old lady to see how much mpg's i could get. didnt do doo doo. i get better mpg's gettin on it, and its obviously more fun!

i noticed i get the best mpg's on 45-55 mph roads. i was cruising around 55 or something (not sure exactly) and I was only at 1500 rpm.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:43 pm 
LOST Member

Honestly all those mods for 2 lousy mpgs doesnt seem like it's worth it. But more power to ya for squeezing better gas mileage out of it!

Cop following me...CRAP

Post subject: Re: different octane
PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:21 pm 
LOST Newbie

Rush345 wrote:
Before my Libby I owned a '95 Dakota 5.2L V-8 it demanded High octane fuel . But If I ran the highest it performed better but got l bad milage, but if I steped down a notch it got better milage but didn't perform as well. Since I got my KJ I havn't tried to diviate just get 13.5 MPG . I.m now trying different solutions..

LEAD :D Follow :P or GET OUT of The WAY :shock: :twisted: 8) :-)r :-)r :-)r

kk for starters, higher octane fuel is for higher compression engines.

inorder to create higher octane fuel,(Especially in america) you add things to regular gasoline, like ethanol, soaps, or other things that would actually increase the octane rating, lowering the fuels ability for pre combustion or knock, and increase thermal efficiency at high end compression ratios

SO BASICALLY HIGHER OCTANE FUEL IS GOOD FOR LESS KNOCK, DETONATION, AND HIGH COMPRESSION RATIOS,

HOWEVER IT IS NOT GOOD FOR FUEL EFFICENCY.

More additives, less real gasoline. o.0

Post subject: Re: We have talked about after market ad ons an Synthetic
PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:36 pm 
LOST Newbie

Rush345 wrote:
But I just realized every body talks about clean air intake, clean fuel injectors, and other tweeking and tuneing. But I have yet to see one person mention one of the simplest ways to better milage (Besides Park it and don't drive).KEEP YOUR ENGINE BAY CLEAN dirty oil spilled or leaking that retains road grime an sludge, also creates more unneeded heat. better cooling more efficient running engine.
A additional benefit if you are in a situation where some other mechanic needs to service or work on your ride, they from my experience will do something a little extra they didn't need to. I'm not talking a cash discount, but a little tweak or something else they didn't need to do is their way of showing appreciation. Not to mention if you bring your ride back, they will jump at the chance to work on your ride no matter where in line it sets. Little Plusses are alway helpfull. Not to mention if you need to work it makes your job easier too. I have seen time and time again somebody with big bucks tied up in detailing products for that show room dazzle. But you pop the hood, the engine is so encased in crud it's a wonder it even drives with out overheating just out of the drive way :shock: :? :? 8)

okay so this post made me sign up to this forums.

First off i would like to say i agree with "keeping the engine bay clean" it makes my job much easier.=D

second, a condition in which a engine runs cooler, is called a "rich fuel" trim. not ideal. infact having the motor on the hotter side, creates a lean condition, more ideal then a over cooled condition.

dont believe me, remove your thermostat and drive around for 50 miles and report back what your gas mileage was. o.0

motors like thermal efficiency, the less energy needed to ignite fuel, the more efficient the system becomes. hence why some cars have reverse flow coolant, where the coolant flows into the heads first, heating up the combustion chamber increasing thermal efficiency and increasing hp, mileage, and keeping the dealership busy with lots and lots of broken cars for service :D

in all reality the engine on a jeep jumps from rich to lean 2 or 3 times a second keeping the fuel trims balanced. all things are accounted for like air temp coming into throttle body, speed, density, engine temp, rpm, load, and finally emissions like readings from o2 sensors. all of which directly affect how much fuel your injectors pusle on and off at.

just a fyi -_- if anything taking heat out of your engine makes it burn more fuel :P

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:38 pm 
LOST Newbie

Boi1ermaker wrote:
combine multiple short errands into one trip.

Quote:
try the K&N FIPK or similar air intakes

if you are willing to spend the money on an FIPK, pair it with a higher flow exhaust system

Quote:
Running your a/c can reduce your mileage by 10-20%.

under around 40mph...after that the wind resistance negates any fuel savings vs. having the a/c on
http://www.thirdage.com/news/articles/A ... 10-01.html (there are other articles out there, this just popped up first when i searched)

after enough people have have given their input, this thread should become a sticky. I've seen a few other forums with a similar thread at the top and i know it's changed some of the way i use my KJ.

i agree with the plus 40mph statement,

but if you really want to save gas milege, reduce the load on the altenator, this will free up 2 or 3mpg.

AKA dont drive with your headlights on at night lmao. in all reality this does draw 40 amps from the altenator and reduces fuel effiency greatly. dont believe it try a night/ day drive.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:40 pm 
LOST Newbie

onejohny wrote:
I've found I consistently lose between 2 and 3 MPG when running premium. 87 octane usually gets me ~21MPG, 93 octane I get ~19MPG. The Liberty does run better on premium but it costs more and for some reason gets worse mileage.

Anyone else notice this?

higher octane fuel usally has less gasoline and more ethonal and addiatives all which reduce knock but reduces the amount of energy the gas produces.

its always good to run higher octane fuel once in a while to help clear out some unwanted crap on the combustion chamber walls.

think of it as putting strong solvents into your motor :D

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:48 pm 
LOST Newbie

Rayze78 wrote:
I was thinking of the throttle body spacers that I mentioned. I have never used one, but I actually cant see how they work. They are supposed to create a swirling mixture of air and fuel. But on late model FI engines, the mixture usually happens right before the combustion chamber, so the swirling of air isnt happening with the fuel. Has anyone tried one?

well this is how they work.

ever see a variable intake runner?

basically what that means is at high rpms, a valve shuts and lets air flow a smaller length giving better velocity and increasing volume metric efficiency, (Crappy hondas with tiny motors get good high rpm hp) (engines are just giant air pumps)

longer intake runners help increase hp at lower rpms, and increase volume metric efficiency. (TRUCKS WITH BIG INTAKES ARE GOOD AT TOWING)

so in essence a tbi space increases lower rpm hp, increasing gas mileage and other things. which the 3.7 has a really big problem with.

anyways so if you were looking for substantial fuel gains, install a VIR or variable intake runner on this =D

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:51 pm 
LOST Newbie

Just my 2 cents. I tested this over months on the same road. At 51mph the rpm tack is about 17000. at 48mph it is almost 19000. So the sweat spot is set at 51mph for best mpg. My CRD will then get 32mpg.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:54 am 
LOST Newbie

Very helpful tips. The only thing you can argue with is that it’s better to refuel the car in the cold. The tanks with gasoline are underground, therefore they do not heat up and the density of gasoline always remains almost the same.