It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Looking for better MPG on my 2006 CRD
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:00 pm 
LOST Newbie

What MPG is realistic for a factory stock 2006 CRD with 230K km (145K miles)? I bought it used 3 months ago and I've been getting 17-18 US MPG with a 50/50 mix of highway/city driving. I'm not doing hard acceleration and I'm coasting to stop signs, etc. This is calculated by hand MPG not EVIC.

I'm actually getting less MPG because my spedometer is off by about 10% so it shows 80km when it's actually close to 70km. So that works out to closer to 15-16 US MPG. It seems I should be getting closer to 20-22 MPG at least after reading various discussions about it.

The air filter is new, map sensor cleaned, fuel filter and oil changed within the last year.

EDIT: I have done the ORM by disconnecting the MAF sensor.

Thanks,

Justin.

Last edited by justinmc on Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Looking for better MPG on my 2006 CRD
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:20 pm 
LOST Addict

First the government website lists it as 19 city 23 highway 21 combined now but era rating on sticker when new I believe was 17 city and 26 highway. That said most would say with 50/50 driving about 22 mpg.

To increase mileage immediately for no cost and close EGR valve you could do ORM (off road modification) which is to unplug the mass air flow sensor this will most likely increase ,mileage about 2 mpg maybe a little more. Will only close ear if it is functioning correctly. This will also result in check engine light as long as is unplugged.

You also need to check to make sure the thermostat is operating correctly if when engine warm it should show almost straight up on gauge . Its common for it to show a little over a quarter if its not functioning correctly. There are several options to fix this if its a problem. Fastest and cheapest is to put Stant 192 degree thermostat inline in radiator hose. several other options and discussions on forum.

Also drive with overdrive on all the time not towing if you don't already.

Perhaps next time you get tires get slightly taller than stock up to about 30 inch diameter effectively gearing up about 5% depending on your current size. If you put tires so large that it requires a lift the mpg gain will be lost and may be worse.

For Highway mileage speed makes a large difference. Try going up to get into 5th gear at about 62mph, then back off to about 59 or 1750 or so rpm this should be the most efficient and should get about 28 plus mpg here any increase from that speed will decrease mileage in general

A tune from GDE will help a lot costs $500 assuming no other defects causing a problem.

They don't get great mileage if idling a lot.

Hope this gives you a start at least.

06 D Khaki Lim 126K wkII Eur TC
05 D khaki Lim 145k refurbishing
All CRDS: Fumoto, Lift , Fan Shroud mod, fuel head Gen II, SAMCOS,self TB, 2 Mic filt, Hayden

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:31 pm 
LOST Newbie

TKB4 wrote:
First the government website lists it as 19 city 23 highway 21 combined now but era rating on sticker when new I believe was 17 city and 26 highway. That said most would say with 50/50 driving about 22 mpg.

To increase mileage immediately for no cost and close EGR valve you could do ORM (off road modification) which is to unplug the mass air flow sensor this will most likely increase ,mileage about 2 mpg maybe a little more. Will only close ear if it is functioning correctly. This will also result in check engine light as long as is unplugged.

You also need to check to make sure the thermostat is operating correctly if when engine warm it should show almost straight up on gauge . Its common for it to show a little over a quarter if its not functioning correctly. There are several options to fix this if its a problem. Fastest and cheapest is to put Stant 192 degree thermostat inline in radiator hose. several other options and discussions on forum.

Also drive with overdrive on all the time not towing if you don't already.

Perhaps next time you get tires get slightly taller than stock up to about 30 inch diameter effectively gearing up about 5% depending on your current size. If you put tires so large that it requires a lift the mpg gain will be lost and may be worse.

For Highway mileage speed makes a large difference. Try going up to get into 5th gear at about 62mph, then back off to about 59 or 1750 or so rpm this should be the most efficient and should get about 28 plus mpg here any increase from that speed will decrease mileage in general

A tune from GDE will help a lot costs $500 assuming no other defects causing a problem.

They don't get great mileage if idling a lot.

Hope this gives you a start at least.

Thanks for all the great info. I have already done the ORM (just edited the original post to add that in).

I'll have to pay closer attention to the thermostat, I think if I recall it's on the left side, not fully up right.

I'll try driving with overdrive on.

My current tires are 235x70r16 (28.95 inch diameter) and factory is 225x75r16 (29.28 inch diameter) so if I went with 235x75r16 I'd be 29.88 inch diameter.

I also believe I have the F37 TCM mod since the shifting doesn't happen at 60 mph on the speedo and my RPM is 1900-2000. Although my manufacture date is 12-05 so that recall was only up to 11-05 from what I've read.

Thanks again.

Justin.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:59 pm 
LOST Newbie

TKB4 wrote:

Well it seems OD is turned on by default so I've been driving that way all the time.

I hadn't paid much attention to the thermostat do mostly short trips so it doesn't have a chance to heat up too much, but yes, it appears to be staying around 135F at the 1/4 mark so I'll look into an in-line 192 thermostat since the factory contraption is a bit ridiculous. :)

Do you think the engine temp will make that much difference in MPG?

Justin.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:24 pm 
LOST Addict

makes a lot more difference on diesels than gas engines from my experience. Might make 1 to 1 .5 mpg or so improvement.

All CRDS: Fumoto, Lift , Fan Shroud mod, fuel head Gen II, SAMCOS,self TB, 2 Mic filt, Hayden

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:31 pm 
LOST Addict

I believe F 37 would have been done on all Liberty CRD s taken to a dealer after it was available unless maybe specifically told dealer not to. I don't believe that should change the shifting point by speedometer indicated speed.

Changing transmission fluid (make sure use ATF 4 ) and engine oil and filters if due could also make up to 1 mpg or so difference total, most from oil change.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:33 pm 
LOST Addict

I believe F 37 would have been done on all Liberty CRD s taken to a dealer after it was available unless maybe specifically told dealer not to. I don't believe that should change the shifting point by speedometer indicated speed.

Changing transmission fluid (make sure use ATF 4 ) and engine oil and filters if due could also make up to 1 mpg or so difference total, most from oil change.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:22 pm 
LOST Newbie

I installed a Stant inline 195F thermostat so now my engine temp is in the middle of the gauge instead of the 1/4 mark. I'll see how that does for the next tank at improving MPG. Seems it should make a couple of MPG difference all things being equal.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:07 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Accelerate slowly. Fold in your mirrors and drive 60mph. Make sure your tires are at the right pressure.

I got 570 on half a tank on this run.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:48 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Here is my best ever: Worked out to just over 40mpg.