It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Off road to Cabo San Lucas... *Trip Completed*
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:57 am 
LOST Addict

Just starting my thread and looking forward to updating it throughout the next 7 months or so as I prepare the KJ for the trip.

The details are sketchy at this point but I will be leaving from Durango and heading down into Mexico. (where exactly depends on whether or not some other Jeepers from Cali are going). After crossing the border the off road adventure begins.

The plan is simple: Down the west coast, Cabo, Up the east coast. Hotels are to be considered a last resort and pavement will be avoided like the plague. I have always wanted to drive at least portions of the Baja Race Course and it's finally going to happen... stay tuned :D

If anyone has some insight or reccomendations... please share!!

Last edited by durangotang on Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:01 am 
LOST Addict

If it's starts looking like the set of "Road Warrior", don't be brave, just turn around.

RL rear bumper, ARB front bumper, Mile Marker winch, Power Tank, Skids by Mopar & Skid Row, RL Super Skink Sliders, 235/85R16 MTR, Air Flow Snorkel, DTT, 4.10 gears, Frankenlift II, Katskin leather, JL Audio stereo, Rosen video.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:06 am 
LOST Addict

I do generally try to stay away from large men wearing leather straps and hockey masks :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:37 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Watch out for farmers cattle. Hit one and we may never hear from you again. :twisted: (I believe one can still obtain auto insurance at the border crossing - it's was always highly recommended back when I did it a few times).

Cabo San Lucas is nice but a it's a Amercian city. Way too many Gringo's.

Lapaz is awesome if you want to hang like a Baja California native. The camping and fishing are amazing.

In Rosarito Beach, you will find the best fish tacos in the world. If you've never had one, you're in for a treat.
( Of course you must like sea food. )

Stay out of the sea of Cortez water at night. Some of the most fierce and largest creatures in any sea on planet earth live there.
(and I'm not just talking about sharks).

I highly recommend you pick up a map of Baja California and study it.

Last edited by oddball on Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:27 pm 
LOST Addict

Some resources:

2009 Baja 500 Race Course: http://www.unlimiteddirt.com/offroad/images/stories/20090514-SCORE-BAJA-500-COURE-MAP.pdf

2008 Baja 1000 Course Maps and GPS files: http://www.unlimiteddirt.com/offroad/component/docman/cat_view/92-racing/93-score-international/232-2008-tecate-score-baja-1000?orderby=dmdate_published&ascdesc=DESC

An effort is going to be made to follow portion sof the race course in Northern Baja.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:03 pm 
LOST Addict

A couple of updates...

-A "jug" has been set up at the house with $50/paycheck each from my girlfriend and myself toward fuel on the trip. Spare change gets emptied into it whenevre laundry is done as well. At this rate, it'll be a minimum of $1200 saved up just for fuel. Sweetness.

-Got majority of work done for rear cargo shelf.
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=45679

-Bought an air compressor.

-Bought a CD to learn some spanish on my 1 hour commute to work :lol:

-Picking up some spare CV axles

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:13 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Sounds like a fun trip wish i could afford to go. But I would need to carry a lot of gas ,so i would need a trailer. And the list would go on and on. Are Red and Dolly going to make the trip?

2003 KJ Renegade, 5 speed, frankenlifted,Al's a Arms 4.5,Moabs 245/75/16 BFG KM2's, custom rock rails, full Mopar skids, Hella ff220 lights,Hd cooling,Front DTT,Riddler diff cover,Rola safari rack,Cobra 29 peaked & tuned.

Pastafari Alum, Pink shovel recipient

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:14 pm 
LOST Addict

kskj wrote:
Sounds like a fun trip wish i could afford to go. But I would need to carry a lot of gas ,so i would need a trailer. And the list would go on and on. Are Red and Dolly going to make the trip?

Not sure yet... have to ok it with Puff :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:19 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

You should have a blast following the course even at a leisurely pace. I did it about 20 ..... (thinking..) almost 30 years ago in a K5 blazer. We took 4 days down and 3 back up, stopping and camping wherever we wanted at night. 6 vehicles ... (3 Blazers, a Ramcharger, a JEEP and a VW bug. The VW was actually a full race bug all stickered out with outrageous travel and never once the whole way down and back did anyone ever ask if it was street legal.
Somehow, I don't think it will be quite the same place now though. Cabo was just a little town of about 300 people with 1 campground, a couple bars and a restaraunt. I was in Cabo before Sammy Hagar. :lol:
And yes, You gotta try the fish tacos in Rosarito Beach.!
Have Fun, I'll keep an eye on this thread (cause I'm jealous)

San Diego Native: Larryewaller

Post subject: Re: Off road to Cabo San Lucas... February 2010
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:08 am 
LOST Addict

durangotang wrote:
Just starting my thread and looking forward to updating it throughout the next 7 months or so as I prepare the KJ for the trip.

The details are sketchy at this point but I will be leaving from Durango and heading down into Mexico. (where exactly depends on whether or not some other Jeepers from Cali are going). After crossing the border the off road adventure begins.

The plan is simple: Down the west coast, Cabo, Up the east coast. Hotels are to be considered a last resort and pavement will be avoided like the plague. I have always wanted to drive at least portions of the Baja Race Course and it's finally going to happen... stay tuned :D

If anyone has some insight or reccomendations... please share!!

LOL... "other Jeepers from Cali". And... Arizona Jeepers too??

You my friend, are about to undertake a trip I've always wanted to do for the past 8~10 years or so. I'm jealous, you may make it happen, and being so close, I wish I were going along with you. There is one big reason and several lessor ones that preclude me from making this trip. The big reason is the unrest down there and the travel advisories put out by the US State Department:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_t ... _4491.html

And to be fair, another view of the issue:

http://www.bajainsider.com/baja-califor ... arning.htm

Because of the unrest, I won't even consider crossing our southern boarder. A couple of American born Hispanics I know, who are fluent in Spanish and have family in Mexico, will not even consider traveling down there, much less now with the current climate of unrest that's happening.

Just a few of many things to keep in mind:

- traveling in Mexico on your own is a lot different than doing it with a large group; such as the people with the the Baja 500.

- you're on your own and the horror stories about being detained down there are true. Keep in mind the US Government has no power to get you out if something should go wrong. Their jails and prisons make ours look like country clubs.

- if you normally "carry" while out on the trail, or in your everyday life... leave it at home. Don't even get caught with so much as one bullet rolling around in the back of your vehicle that you may have dropped and forgotten about.

- of course you know you're looking at least a 1,500~1,600 mile round trip and the logistics for obtaining safe water, food and shelter. Even the tour books for the more popular travel destinations advise against drinking the water.

- you may want to consider Algodones, or San Luis for a point of departure to shave off a few miles instead of Calexico or Tijuana.

- don't forget passports are now required (allow plenty of time to get one).

- one other thing to consider... have you looked into the possibility of enlisting the aid of an outfitter or guide, some one who is very familiar with the area? There are tour companies and people listed that would make things easier for you while still keeping your trip adventurous.

Please, don't take me wrong... I'm not trying to discourage you. I guess it's old age and life lessons learned while traveling through places like the Philippines that are telling me it's best to stay north of the boarder right now. I wish you luck in your travels and will be watching very closely as your adventure unfolds. You never know... I may throw caution to the wind and join you.

It's an AZ LOST JEEPS thing....
other folks don't understand!!

Post subject: Re: Off road to Cabo San Lucas... February 2010
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:01 pm 
LOST Addict

AZKJ wrote:

Thus far, it is only going to be us and one other couple from California. With a trip of this length, I'm not willing to take any chances by letting just anyone tag along. If anyone is serious about wanting to go, PM me and we can set up a time to do a multi-day run in the near future. I need to be certain that I can trust the people in the party and that they are going to be prepared. Plus we have to make sure we all get along and are looking for the same thing out of the trip :)

AZKJ wrote:
- you may want to consider Algodones, or San Luis for a point of departure to shave off a few miles instead of Calexico or Tijuana.

90% chance I am crossing at San Luis

AZKJ wrote:
- one other thing to consider... have you looked into the possibility of enlisting the aid of an outfitter or guide, some one who is very familiar with the area? There are tour companies and people listed that would make things easier for you while still keeping your trip adventurous.

Nope... no guides.

As for the warnings and travel advisories for Mexico... we can put these in perspective. I compare them to a travel advisory being issued for Southern California because of gang violence if Compton. There are obvious do's and don'ts and so long as you use common sense (e.g. don't cross in Tijuana at night) you will be fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:27 pm 
LOST Addict

durangotang wrote:
AZKJ wrote:

Thus far, it is only going to be us and one other couple from California. With a trip of this length, I'm not willing to take any chances by letting just anyone tag along.

Okay... I got it, a private trip. I'll retract my earlier comment "I will be watching very closely as your adventure unfolds".

Last edited by AZKJ on Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:07 pm 
LOST Addict

AZKJ wrote:
durangotang wrote:
AZKJ wrote:

Thus far, it is only going to be us and one other couple from California. With a trip of this length, I'm not willing to take any chances by letting just anyone tag along.

Okay... a private trip posted on an open forum. I retract my earlier comment, "I will be watching very closely as your adventure unfolds". :roll: :roll:

That's a shame... because if you read beyond the first sentence of the paragraph you quoted you'd see that you're more than welcome to go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:19 pm 
LOST Addict

durangotang wrote:
AZKJ wrote:
durangotang wrote:
AZKJ wrote:

Okay... a private trip posted on an open forum. I retract my earlier comment, "I will be watching very closely as your adventure unfolds". :roll: :roll:

That's a shame... because if you read beyond the first sentence of the paragraph you quoted you'd see that you're more than welcome to go.

I did read your post... sorry my words came out like they did. It just grabbed me the wrong way that I had to be "checked out" before being allowed to tag along. I fully understand the ramifications of traveling the Baja just as I think others would too if you spell out the requirements for doing the trip. I think you would of known that by reading the post I made pointing out what I did about the trip.

I guess I'm just trying to say... the days of someone having to check me out first are long gone. I wouldn't think of signing on for something if I had any doubts of my capabilities.

Have a good trip....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:26 pm 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Man, I'd love to take that trip and I speak Spanish fairly well, but I wouldn't be able to take that trip for a couple of years. :(

Actually, one of the things I'd really love to do some day, is drive to San Ignacio Lagoon.

Keep us posted on the progress and take lots of pictures.
If you ever plan to re-do that trip, let us know. I might be in a better position to join in.

I've never been to Mexico, so I don't know what the crime is really like there. Having more than one Jeep on that trip would certainly be a good idea, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:15 pm 
LOST Addict

If you vanish into the desert, do you have anything cool you can leave to me?

RL rear bumper, ARB front bumper, Mile Marker winch, Power Tank, Skids by Mopar & Skid Row, RL Super Skink Sliders, 235/85R16 MTR, Air Flow Snorkel, DTT, 4.10 gears, Frankenlift II, Katskin leather, JL Audio stereo, Rosen video.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:51 am 
LOST Addict

Looks like I might be dropping the funds on a Rooftop Tent today... :D

I guess we'll see...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:07 pm 
LOST Addict

Rooftop tent and trailer purchase didn't happen... things were just a bit too rushed and the funds weren't in hand. :evil:

I found myself with an interesting dilemma: spend $4000 on a trailer/tent combo or spend $2500 on shop equipment and build a $1500 trailer/tent setup :shock: I now have lots of new shop equipment... let's hope the gamble pays off and I can get this thing done (only 6 months) :D

Trip updates...

-dates solidified (2/14-3/7)
-meeting up group in Yuma, AZ. Crossing in San Luis Rio Colorado.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:44 pm 
LOST Newbie

This sounds like a fantastic adventure! Im keeping tuned in for sure! :D

06 3.7 Sport
Cut bumpers
Clevis lift
245/70/16 Kumho Road Venture AT's

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:27 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Keep us posted Ben How's your trailer coming.

2003 KJ Renegade, 5 speed, frankenlifted,Al's a Arms 4.5,Moabs 245/75/16 BFG KM2's, custom rock rails, full Mopar skids, Hella ff220 lights,Hd cooling,Front DTT,Riddler diff cover,Rola safari rack,Cobra 29 peaked & tuned.

Pastafari Alum, Pink shovel recipient