It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Campfire Tales
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:54 pm 
LOST Addict

I had a friend (yes I have friends) invite me to have a campfire in American Fork Canyon Sunday night. The plan was to drive up to the start of Mineral Basin and pull into one of the campsites and talk dude stuff around a fire.

I noticed on the way up there that the little stream that runs along the road was more like a raging river, I had never seen it that high or that angry... it was kinda cool to see though. At one point, there was a lot of water on the road and a chunk missing from the stream-side edge; it was no big deal to drive around it. As we got closer to Mineral Basin, we had to stop because there was a massive section of the road missing and the river runs through it. It was the end of the road literally so we pulled off at the campsite that was right there and did our thing. There was rain in the area and we set up with distant lightning in the sky.

Around 12:30ish we packed it in and left. When we reached the part of the road with the chunk missing, I noticed that the chunk was now a deep trench that stretched across 3/4 of the road with copious amounts of water flowing through it. I tried to go high but my schizzley balding tires could not grip and I slid into the trench with my bumper resting on the road and my DS rear tire up in the air. I grabbed my tree strap and winched myself out of the hole and with lessons learned from my crossing attempt, we were able to winch Trever's Ranger across with much less drama.

There are campers on the wrong side of this hole who own a Subaru wagon. When Meat went to warn them that they are stranded because the road is impassible to their vehicle, their response was "well, we have enough food for a month so we're OK".

It's the end of the road as we know it

Where there once was a road, now is a river

RL rear bumper, ARB front bumper, Mile Marker winch, Power Tank, Skids by Mopar & Skid Row, RL Super Skink Sliders, 235/85R16 MTR, Air Flow Snorkel, DTT, 4.10 gears, Frankenlift II, Katskin leather, JL Audio stereo, Rosen video.

Post subject: Re: Campfire Tales
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:04 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

That winch comes in handy sometimes. :shock: I need to get one. I'll let you know when I am ready.

2003 KJ Renegade, 5 speed, frankenlifted,Al's a Arms 4.5,Moabs 245/75/16 BFG KM2's, custom rock rails, full Mopar skids, Hella ff220 lights,Hd cooling,Front DTT,Riddler diff cover,Rola safari rack,Cobra 29 peaked & tuned.

Pastafari Alum, Pink shovel recipient

Post subject: Re: Campfire Tales
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:46 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Yet another chapter in the book "Never Wheel Alone". Glad you guys got across safely.