It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 9:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Desert Snow Rally Episode V: The Jeep gods Strike Back
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:56 pm 
LOST Addict

Spent another day in the West Desert to get all sideways and junk. The checklist was a bit different this time around:

Timing belt past due: check
Oil change due: probably
axle seal leak: check
2nd vehicle: check
street tires in rear to enhance oversteer: check

The day started like any other in the backcountry this time of year:

Serious flex

The "reclaimed" Manning Mine

You can see by the tire tracks how close to taking out the fence I was on the way in... I r professionalz though.

I was doing about 40 when I took this pic... then the turn came... then I was backwards in between the trees shown here

Then we get to the uphill climb... friend shown failing

Random view from the top

In the race down the other side, I slicing the apexes like I had matching tires or something... I caught the ditch on the mountain side, over-corrected and got shot out towards the edge side. The pics don't do the situation any justice but I was pointing towards a ravine that I would slide for a looong time.
The recuse plan was (of course my buddy had zero recovery equipment) to get a winch line on a tree across the road and to prevent the ass-end from sliding into the pit of death, my strap was connected from my back bumper to my buddies whose Jeep was parked in the opposite ditch. I sat in my Jeep with my foot on the accelerator and operating the winch. I had to crawl under the branches to get to the tree trunk. There was lots of deer tracks around the tree and lots of yellow snow... I was like... "thats just wrong... with the crawling through pee". The idea was to make the Jeep move sideways back onto the road... it did work but my ESP and ABS lights came on during the process.

Mr. Toads Wild Ride starts just in front of my bumper:

Here's the mess I made reversing for life:

About halfway down the mountain, my trouble lights went off so I assumed it was just a wet harness from being buried. We stopped and had a fire for a few hours... said our goodbyes and I drove home. On Sunday 12 hrs later I decided it was time to go to the pizza place to watch the Dolphins season end... hopped into the KJ... and no start. Won't jump... nothing... so I had it towed to work today to see whats doing... the Jeep gods are angry. :goink:

RL rear bumper, ARB front bumper, Mile Marker winch, Power Tank, Skids by Mopar & Skid Row, RL Super Skink Sliders, 235/85R16 MTR, Air Flow Snorkel, DTT, 4.10 gears, Frankenlift II, Katskin leather, JL Audio stereo, Rosen video.

Post subject: Re: Desert Snow Rally Episode V: The Jeep gods Strike Back
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:10 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

:POPCORN: Very entertaining, just wanted to say thank you for the post!

Ernie

4.10 gears, front & rear ARB lockers, Boulder Bars, AFE Stage 2 intake
Surco rack w BajaRack jerry can holder
Cobra 75 WX ST

06 LJ Rubi, 3.5" RE SA and 33" BFG KM2s, GenRight tank