It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Corolla OBX NC North
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:16 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

spent about 3/4 of a day out in Corolla, they have about 25 miles of beach and island trail - i rolled about 80 miles on the odo

you can get a guide (which probably would have been helpful at points) or self guide self drive, there are wild horses and various other island wildlife out there which we saw quite a bit of

airing down to 20 or below is a must, and preferred at least a locked rear, street tires are fine just make sure you're able to jack up and change to a spare should you blow a sidewall on something like a burried piece of broken limb / misc wood - more of a concern with street tires since the sidewalls are thinner

corolla is north of nags head and duck, just follow 12 north till the road ends

unless it rained that day or the day before, more than likely an AWD such as a CRV or Subaru will neither have the ground clearance or the front and rear wheel pulling to navigate a majority of the mileage - jeep rentals are available

old ruts refill with sand from wind / tide and feather, or otherwise turn into baby powder and it's pretty easy to end up going from 10mph to 0 in a matter of feet and end up sitting on the skids

It was the first place I've been where I actually got stuck via a 30ish degree sideways slanted section where the added weight on the pass side due to being off camber sunk it to the axles, with a little work with throttle control and a quick drag of the ridge infront of the tire i managed to crawl out by basically allowing the tires to recirculate the sand

I did quite a bit of island and beach driving pre-lift, most of Corolla would have been accessible to a stock lib with street tires with careful choice of pathing, but at least on this trip, about 30-40% of Corolla was pretty rough and IFS KJ/KK's won't have the necessary tire size or ground clearance to not bottom out from time to time but with some careful "lane choosing" and route navigation a majority of Corolla is easily accessible to you and your family for some fun driving, beautiful scenery and very good chances of seeing wild horses in their island habitat and some pretty good fishing during the season if that's your thing

Not sure what sort of pics we ended up getting I'll post some up if my gf took any while we were out there

Lift: ft. 790+ rr. JBA4+
The last of the TrailReady Front&Rear Bumpers and TR Rock Rails
Jarhead Offroad light covers
31x10.5R15 RedLetter Grabbers on Blackrock Dunes
L.O.S.T #KD098632

Post subject: Re: Corolla OBX NC North
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:14 am 
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Come on still waiting on pics, post some up, what do you think you're on vacation or something??
Hope the trip is going welll!