It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Great plains fall run
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:28 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

You know there is not many things better than getting out with friends camping and wheeling.
We had the best turnout to date for the great plains group. Four Liberty's,one XJ,one wrangler,one toyota. And ten people. The trails were dry so we were able to go down and up several black trails. and got some cool pictures.

The Campground
Mntluvr

Mp jeeper
The shutter did not get open all the way but the pic still was cool.
Mntluvr going down a black and getting a lot of air.
And getting a whole lot of air getting up this black trail.

The whole group, hopefully there will be more pictures soon as i did not get to many of the other jeeps.

2003 KJ Renegade, 5 speed, frankenlifted,Al's a Arms 4.5,Moabs 245/75/16 BFG KM2's, custom rock rails, full Mopar skids, Hella ff220 lights,Hd cooling,Front DTT,Riddler diff cover,Rola safari rack,Cobra 29 peaked & tuned.

Pastafari Alum, Pink shovel recipient

Post subject: Re: Great plains fall run
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:39 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Great pics! I love mtnluvr's KK. Maybe someday he'll sell those bumpers... :JEEPIN:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:46 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Looks like you guys had some good times! :JEEPIN: :CAMPING:

I took the road less traveled. Now I'm LOST.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:13 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

So the big question...

When are you going back?

The lack of mud was great, does that mean we have to wait till May for it to dry again?

Thanks for the photos, bitter sweet as usual, but I will go wheeling while I am here in MO, even if it is only on base!

05 CRD Sport Dark Kahki

RRO: Adventure Rack/Rails ** MOPAR: Skids/Renny Flares & 255/75r17 (32.1) BFG M/T on JK wheels ** ARB: Bumper/IPF lights/790/948/shocks ** GDE: TCM/Hot Tune ** ROCKLIZARD: Super Sliders/Komodo Bumper

My Build Thread
US Army Infantry

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:29 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

arengant wrote:
So the big question...

When are you going back?

The lack of mud was great, does that mean we have to wait till May for it to dry again?

Thanks for the photos, bitter sweet as usual, but I will go wheeling while I am here in MO, even if it is only on base!

No plans to go back right now but you never know I might get bored. :JEEPIN: I have never seen it that dry before.

2003 KJ Renegade, 5 speed, frankenlifted,Al's a Arms 4.5,Moabs 245/75/16 BFG KM2's, custom rock rails, full Mopar skids, Hella ff220 lights,Hd cooling,Front DTT,Riddler diff cover,Rola safari rack,Cobra 29 peaked & tuned.

Pastafari Alum, Pink shovel recipient

Post subject: Re: Great plains fall run-MtnLuvr's Pics
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:26 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Ok, here's some pics from the 10/22/2011 run to Kansas Rocks Off-road Recreation Park (in Southeast Kansas near Fort Scott). Fortunately I had my father riding shotgun and often out of the KK on photo duty for the group.

Once they opened, the initial group at check-in (L-R: MP Jeeper Guest in Toyota truck, MP Jeeper guest in Wrangler, MP Jeeper's Renegade, kskj's brother's XJ, MtnLuvr's KK and kskj's Renegade)

kskj lead the trails that day, including leading through most every obstacle. Here he is going down the first, warm-up, obstacle, a little shelf and then....

...back up the waves on the others side.

The KK going down. It was so nice to wheel in the midwest when it was DRY :BANANA:

Navigating back up.

The Toy makes it down.

The XJ on its large tires and lift and with Dave driving always completes the obstacles in the fastest time (not that it is a race or anything).

Navigating the wrangler down (sorry, I'm not certain if a TJ or YJ).

MP Jeeper makes it down but decides he doesn't want to go the other way up but instead to turn around and go back up the obstacle...

MP Jeeper...almost always all smiles :D

Then, it was on to a rock field....

With excellent spotting and lacking driver fear, we got the Yota through.

(After this photo, we found out those side running boards flex a great deal without breaking :shock: )

MP Jeeper and shotgun passenger navigating the rock field.

When I saw this photo, I started laughing since I'm powering up this dirt and rock hill, working on getting past some rocky obstacles yet in the photo am looking purely sideways to be sure I don't slide sideways into that tree. :lol: From my experiences, that is the big difference wheeling in the midwest (e.g. Kansas and Missouri) versus Colorado or Utah, is that in the midwest, you are almost always navigating around and dodging trees while navigating obstacles usuallly composed of rocks and dirt, and often, greasy mud.

Then it was off to this major obstacle kskj bravely took us to:
kskj bravely tackles the obstacle first. Here he is starting down.

Mostly have 4 tires in contact at this point...

Navigating the turn to dodge the tree while switching from 3, to occassionally only 2, tires in contact with the ground. Certainly gets a little tippy for a little bit.

If the Rene can do it, then I've got to test my skills (or lack of) and take get the KK through this optional obstacle.

Don't mind the crashing sounds as I take the TanKK down the wash, I was just rearranging some of the rocks and logs for the next person behind me :wink:

The XJ takes a more straight-line approach to not have to mess with the 3-2 wheel tree-dodging turn at the bottom.

MP Jeeper showing confidence coming down.

...starting to get a little light in the rear driver's corner and front passenger corner...

He made it look easy (although it was pure focus and no camera-ready smile).

The Toyota wisely bypassed this obstacle but commented how impressed he was with the capabilities of the Libertys.

This is kinda same shot kskj took of MP Jeeper's Renegade fighting up the crest of the hill.

The Toyota fought to get up the hill, but just couldn't do it without winding up in these trees, so, it was time for some controlled recovery from above....

...time to fire up the KK's winch. Worked great pulling the Yota up and away from trees and over the rock obstacles. I love having a winch handy when needed. :)

It wasn't much later, on another uphill that we again fired up the KK's winch to help:

kskj leading us through the foliage on the beautiful midwestern fall day.

MP Jeeper climbing the hill with "step up".

Our late add claws his KJ on up, over rocks and dodges the trees.

Airin' back up.

Here's what the Jeep OEM GPS tracked, versus....

...here's the Garmin's with topo data. I'm really glad I bought this GPS as it was really helpful finding and navigating the trails when kskj and I went wheeling in Colorado this past August.

Final line-up the 7 of us:

A good day of wheeling :D .

Thanks kskj for organizing, and leading, this wheeling trip.

MtnLuvr's Off-Road Front Winch Bumper, Heavy Duty Rock Sliders, Heavy Duty Off-Road Rear Bumper/JBA 4" AaS Lift w/UCAs/16x8's w/ 245/75R16 GY MT/Rs

Coming: :twisted: :JEEPIN:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:17 pm 
LOST Addict

thanks for posting! and awesome KK in there. great pictures.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:29 pm 
LOST Newbie

Wish I could of met up with everyone sooner. I had a blast.