It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Adventure in Ontario, Canada
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:02 pm 
LOST Member

So I'm new to 'trucks'. I have owned a full size van before (1/2 ton Ford 32v 351W) and have driven lots of Chevs and Dodges for work in the past, but never really owned a 'truck' of my own before.

Before I owned the Liberty I actually thought it was more of a grocery getter with a V6 and a rugged look. It's really quite a bit more serious of a truck than I ever gave it credit for.

I went to a friend's place near Collingwood (NW of Toronto, Ontario) last week and I wanted to take the Jeep into his back woods. He has 100 acres of maple and ash forest, but the soil has SO MUCH CLAY. More on this later........ :mad:

We walked around a fair bit just hanging out and chatting (he's an old friend). Then we decided to head out in his Argo. OK, when I thought that the Jeep was a beast...an Argo is like the devil child of a tank, an ATV and a hovercraft. With laser beams. It is NOT comfortable by ANY stretch of the imagination and the exhaust location right in front of you makes your eyes water the entire time, but it will basically attack and conquer almost any obstacle. They are ridiculous. EIGHT WHEEL DRIVE RIDICULOUS. :pepper:

After scouting with the Argo on his self-made 'trails' - basically only big tree removal and grass cutting - we headed out in the Jeep led by his 4WD Kubota (cab stretches up to about 12 feet or so...a biggish tractor for personal/industrial use...don't ask me which one he has).

We started out descending slowly into his valley through the grass, some deep ruts, a bit of mud to make it messy and fun. Nothing major. Then we got to a small gully - it was muddy and steep on the way in. The pic below was taken after we went down it - the front slid a bit, but it recovered ok and crossed the relatively steep and only slightly muddy section well (short overhangs front and rear). I was concerned that I would just spin on wet grass on the other side (uphill) but it was totally fine.

Then we zig-zagged through the woods, nothing special, bit of mud, some ruts, couple dips. No big whoop...until it started raining unexpectedly.

We knew we had some inclines and mud to get back through so we turned around immediately to make the best possible progress. And that's when things went sour.

The Jeep was fine in the woods in the pitter patter of the rain filtering through the canopy, but then we came out into a small clearing. At the bottom of a small rise. And the clearing was filled with mud...with lots of water starting to accumulate on top of it.

Now I've driven through mud in the Ottawa area before and this was nothing like it. The stuff they have out in his area is greasy and completely unreasonable. I had to make a pass between two ash trees about 8-9" in diameter - one on each side of the trail. I made one slow crawl attempt and the Jeep started to slide 'downhill' (the smallenst inclines become hills when in mud) towards one of the trees. At this point it's raining cats and dogs and I think to myself - I have one more try and then I'm gonna be done. And I was. I just couldn't make it through and the Jeep went a little further off trail with every attempt.

So, I shut 'er down and we left her there overnight to let the rain dry up. :cry: We only found out when we got back to the house in his tractor (with his partner smiling knowingly as she saw us leave in two vehicles :ROTFL: ) that there had been 3 tornadoes touch down only ~50 kms away. We also later found out when walking around the property that they had lost a few trees in that storm.

We went back the next day and took out those two ash trees that were right alongside the trail. The jeep drove out of there fine and although it was still churning mud on the way out, it just needed a little room.

Had to trim the stump down to clear it, so while my friend was limbing one tree, I took the little hand saw and cut it flush with the ground. I plan to keep the section and refinish it as a souvenir of a pretty fun time.

Got back to the gully and my buddy starts up with the tractor. And it gets stuck for a few minutes! At this point I'm wondering if I can get back to Ottawa for work the next day. Eventually he found another line and got the tractor a bit further up - then I made a couple valiant tries. It almost got over the first hump and I could feel the back end locking and unlocking, but it was still too slick to risk beating the crap out of it and possible breaking a diff. We hooked up the tow strap and he pulled me up the incline.

Made sure to get nice and muddy in the process though. :grin:

Phew - made it!

Ruby doing her best impression of a country dog. She really smelled the part but only kinda looked the part.

Passed out doge is much tired. So smell.

All in all, the liberty is a surprisingly solid little Jeep. Next it's getting a 3.5" lift (18" right now, going up to 21.5"), some armour (both the susp. and the armour are on order) and then some 31" tires. So much for being reasonable with this vehicle.

:rockon:

OME 927/Ironman, 1/4" plate, 3-ring clevis 21.5"
OME 948/OME + 2 Iso's Rear 22"
JBA UCAs
Bumper and winch
2x5 rockers/steps
Dynomax Ultra-Flo Welded
Custom pinstriping
Custom rear interior shelf
SS drop table
Soon:
Rear bumper
WRX seats
All the skids

Post subject: Re: Adventure in Ontario, Canada
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:03 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Great story!

Once the lift is on you'll be tempted to try out even more difficult trails - but the Jeep will handle it!

Bob

- Rubicon Moabs
- 4.10's, 265/70-16 Goodyear Duratracs
- 4X Guard Trans Skid, Modded BoulderBars, Mopar Engine, T-Case, Tank Skids, ARB bumper, Smittybilt 9500XRC winch

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:10 pm 
LOST Newbie

Sounds like a fun trip! Thanks for sharing!!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:03 pm 
LOST Member

Thanks guys, like I've said to many, this little Jeep is surprisingly good off-road. It's now lifted at the front (OME HD), but I haven't yet put in the rear springs, just lifted with 2 extra iso's for now. Pretty sure I'll go with bilsteins and another set of OME HD in the rear.

The rake (caster) isn't where it should be, so I get a bit of bump steer. But nothing crazy. Love the thing still and have taken it lifted and armour'ed on some pretty challenging stuff that I never thought it could do.

We did this trail last fall in Quebec:

The Approach...lots of crawling...wish it had a lower crawl speed.

The Glance Back - my fiancée was terrified and exhilarated. She loved spotting and getting through it. She's a keeper.

Here she is lifted and fenders painted flat black.

OME 927/Ironman, 1/4" plate, 3-ring clevis 21.5"
OME 948/OME + 2 Iso's Rear 22"
JBA UCAs
Bumper and winch
2x5 rockers/steps
Dynomax Ultra-Flo Welded
Custom pinstriping
Custom rear interior shelf
SS drop table
Soon:
Rear bumper
WRX seats