It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: San Rafael Swell (UT) 1.7.2015
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:04 pm 
LOST Member

Thought I post up some px of one of many trips to the SRS. For those not familiar with this area, it's located about 30 miles west of Green River.

On this trip we were looking for some rock art (pictograph panel) that is a 3 mile hike from the nearest 4x4 road. This particular one was only just discovered a couple years ago by a friend of mine.

However, sometimes the journey is as rewarding as the destination!

'05 CRD, GDE tune(s), JBA stuff, OME, Weeks Stage I & II, "Provent"(custom) +++

Post subject: Re: San Rafael Swell (UT) 1.7.2015
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:50 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Nice pictures, I've been wanting to explore the swell.

2003 KJ Renegade, 5 speed, frankenlifted,Al's a Arms 4.5,Moabs 245/75/16 BFG KM2's, custom rock rails, full Mopar skids, Hella ff220 lights,Hd cooling,Front DTT,Riddler diff cover,Rola safari rack,Cobra 29 peaked & tuned.

Pastafari Alum, Pink shovel recipient

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:05 pm 
LOST Member

Thanks. It's one of the last areas around that have lots of trails and major scenic value that are fairly remote. Just retired a couple years ago so I have more time but less $. Go figure.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:41 am 
LOST Member

Thanks for the beautiful photos. They bring back memories from 20-25 years ago when I explored the area on a series of trips by mountain bike. My friends and I biked up Spotted Wolf Canyon (along I-70) and down Black Dragon Canyon. We biked from San Rafael Gorge's (aka "Little Grand Canyon") Wedge Overlook down to the banks of the Green River, and then along the river to Mexican Mountain, where Butch Cassidy and his gang hid after robbing the payroll from the Price Mining Company. And we biked from the interstate through Devil’s Canyon to the long-abandoned Copper Globe Mine. On that trip we had a herd of wild mustangs run with us for a bit as we rode. Now that was amazing! (And crap-your-bike-shorts scary.)

What continually baffles me is how the San Rafael Swell– that is so spectacularly beautiful – remains so overlooked and unknown. I hope someday to go back to the area with my Jeep.

'05 Sport 4X4, 3.7L - Black | Frankenlift II Premium, JBA KJ Lifted A-Arms 4.5 | Cooper Discoverer A/T3 - LT245/75R16, Load C

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 6:48 pm 
LOST Member

Black_Dog wrote:
Thanks for the beautiful photos. They bring back memories from 20-25 years ago when I explored the area on a series of trips by mountain bike...

...What continually baffles me is how the San Rafael Swell– that is so spectacularly beautiful – remains so overlooked and unknown. I hope someday to go back to the area with my Jeep.

As you know, it's fairly remote and a HUGE area. It's getting (has been) very popular with the ATV /UTV crowd so if you come during the relatively warmer (spring / fall) weather, which is more appropriate for them, you would be unpleasantly surprised at how busy it can be.

There's been lots of noise about much of that area may become part of a National Monument combined with the Moab area. We can only wait and see if an unannounced 'executive action' like Clinton did with Escalante NM comes about at the end of his term. :furious: