It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Canyonlands Nat.Pk. (The Maze District) Utah
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:39 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 12:20 am
Posts: 92
Location: Colorado
This is one of and possibly the most remote locations of any National Park. Reservations only. Forget getting cell service. I was able to get a couple text messages out in the early evening with Verizon. It's a no-go with any other carrier. And if you break down, you better have some very good friends. Just a service call is around $2k, plus what ever it takes to get you moving or towed.

https://flic.kr/p/24LBtxP

https://flic.kr/p/24LBpXT

The Park Ranger didn't think my Libby could make it over some of the obstacles. Very reluctant to let me go ahead.

We had reservations (4 campsites) for 5 nights / 6 days. The bare minimum to see most, but not all of it.

_________________
Marty

'05 CRD, GDE tune(s), JBA stuff, OME, Weeks Stage I & II +++


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Canyonlands Nat.Pk. (The Maze District) Utah
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:46 am 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:12 pm
Posts: 2088
Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
AMAZING scenery! Great photography too!

Thanks for sharing.

_________________
'06 Lbrty Sprt CRD 150K

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Canyonlands Nat.Pk. (The Maze District) Utah
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:53 am 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 12:20 am
Posts: 92
Location: Colorado
Thanks! Liberty's are not just for grocery-getting for me. I've put it in places Liberty infrastructure designers didn't intend it to go! I have an on-board 12v Edgestar refrigerator/freezer and duel (gel) batteries. But I still (almost) had a "fatal" situation. Scary to think about if it would have happened in such a remote location. Even tho it ended up only needing fuel (due to a faulty recently-replaced fuel filter *gasket*), it would still have meant a 250+ mile round trip, as diesel fuel is not handy. :grim: NOTE: I carried and topped off with an extra 6 gallons before this happened: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=88006

_________________
Marty

'05 CRD, GDE tune(s), JBA stuff, OME, Weeks Stage I & II +++


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Canyonlands Nat.Pk. (The Maze District) Utah
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:25 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:57 pm
Posts: 2138
Location: Boise, Idaho
Very nice, thanks for posting. Were you limited at all with your KJ, and do you have lockers? I'm also curious what size and type tires you have?
I've been training myself to rappel and ascend ropes specifically for The Maze, but wasn't sure if my jeep would make it. (245/75 duratracs, DTT front, OX rear).

_________________
05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat, Ironrock trilink, Integrated air OX rear,truetrac front, Suncoast,OME 2.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&245/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new head,rockers, cams,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, welded EGR port & trans drain, muffler delete,tensioner relocated
Mech fan VH & AC delete


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Canyonlands Nat.Pk. (The Maze District) Utah
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:01 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 12:20 am
Posts: 92
Location: Colorado
Mountainman wrote:
Were you limited at all with your KJ, and do you have lockers?
I've been training myself to rappel and ascend ropes specifically for The Maze, but wasn't sure if my jeep would make it. (245/75 duratracs, DTT front, OX rear).


Thanks!

I have the same tire size as you, but run BFG T/A KO2's The DT's were not up to that type of terrain for my liking and much noisier. I use to run KM 2's but am MUCH happier with the T/A's. Many of my piers who run (Jeep JKU's) on much more aggressive trails, are now switching to the T/A KO2's and the new KO3's. Better traction / wear.

I also have DTT up front, but the stock limited slip rear. I put more emphasis on pulling power than pushing power / traction.

Depending on what section of The Maze you go to, the terrain can be just lumpy bumpy or challenging. The Teapot section has the most challenge. It's the "gate keeper" of The Maze.

The only "problem" I had was rubbing on extreme articulation. But that's because I have NO front or rear sway bars. After this trip I plan on putting extended bump stops front & back. I've just been putting it off. Now it priority.

I'm way past being able (more mentally than physically) for rapping. I get into enough situations just hiking!

_________________
Marty

'05 CRD, GDE tune(s), JBA stuff, OME, Weeks Stage I & II +++


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Canyonlands Nat.Pk. (The Maze District) Utah
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:00 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:57 pm
Posts: 2138
Location: Boise, Idaho
ROKTAXI wrote:
Mountainman wrote:
Were you limited at all with your KJ, and do you have lockers?
I've been training myself to rappel and ascend ropes specifically for The Maze, but wasn't sure if my jeep would make it. (245/75 duratracs, DTT front, OX rear).


Thanks!

I have the same tire size as you, but run BFG T/A KO2's The DT's were not up to that type of terrain for my liking and much noisier. I use to run KM 2's but am MUCH happier with the T/A's. Many of my piers who run (Jeep JKU's) on much more aggressive trails, are now switching to the T/A KO2's and the new KO3's. Better traction / wear.

I also have DTT up front, but the stock limited slip rear. I put more emphasis on pulling power than pushing power / traction.

Depending on what section of The Maze you go to, the terrain can be just lumpy bumpy or challenging. The Teapot section has the most challenge. It's the "gate keeper" of The Maze.

The only "problem" I had was rubbing on extreme articulation. But that's because I have NO front or rear sway bars. After this trip I plan on putting extended bump stops front & back. I've just been putting it off. Now it priority.

I'm way past being able (more mentally than physically) for rapping. I get into enough situations just hiking!


Many thanks for the reply! I ran stock sized KO2's before the DT's, and they worked really well on rocky terrain. I haven't really tested the DT's in the desert/rock yet, but I switched to DT's for deep snow (more aggressive). I might end up switching back, but I've been impressed with the mild noise so far, but they only have about 6k miles, hopefully they don't get louder.
You think removing the sway bars help significantly with articulation? Is it still safe at 70 mph?
I got the hockey pucks recently myself :rockon:
I can't resist short rock climbs while hiking canyons, and finally decided I need to start using ropes for safety :ALONE:

_________________
05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat, Ironrock trilink, Integrated air OX rear,truetrac front, Suncoast,OME 2.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&245/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new head,rockers, cams,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, welded EGR port & trans drain, muffler delete,tensioner relocated
Mech fan VH & AC delete


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Canyonlands Nat.Pk. (The Maze District) Utah
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:34 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 12:20 am
Posts: 92
Location: Colorado
Tire brand / profile ends up more being a personal choice based on your geography and type of use. Originally when I chose the DT's, it was mostly based on $$. They seemed OK at first, but over time (about 1 1/2 yrs), I sold them. I air down to about 15-18 psi on dirt roads and didn't like the way they felt was one other reason. Might have had something to do with rim width as well because I also purchased 8" wide rims with the KO2's.

As for articulation, definitely more but at the expense of rubbing a lot more.

I really haven't noticed any difference in handling with the sway bars removed. At 65 mph I haven't had to do any quick maneuvers to say if it's unsafe or squirrely.

How many pucks did you use in the rear?

_________________
Marty

'05 CRD, GDE tune(s), JBA stuff, OME, Weeks Stage I & II +++


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Canyonlands Nat.Pk. (The Maze District) Utah
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:39 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:57 pm
Posts: 2138
Location: Boise, Idaho
ROKTAXI wrote:
Tire brand / profile ends up more being a personal choice based on your geography and type of use. Originally when I chose the DT's, it was mostly based on $$. They seemed OK at first, but over time (about 1 1/2 yrs), I sold them. I air down to about 15-18 psi on dirt roads and didn't like the way they felt was one other reason. Might have had something to do with rim width as well because I also purchased 8" wide rims with the KO2's.

As for articulation, definitely more but at the expense of rubbing a lot more.

I really haven't noticed any difference in handling with the sway bars removed. At 65 mph I haven't had to do any quick maneuvers to say if it's unsafe or squirrely.

How many pucks did you use in the rear?


Hmm, I'll definitely see how they are in the desert, thanks for the input.
I've got two pucks, but got sidelined and haven't tested it properly yet. I also towed a lot pretty heavy so I think my rear springs are a little more sagged than most. I think Tom mud said 2.5 is perfect with our coils

_________________
05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat, Ironrock trilink, Integrated air OX rear,truetrac front, Suncoast,OME 2.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&245/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new head,rockers, cams,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, welded EGR port & trans drain, muffler delete,tensioner relocated
Mech fan VH & AC delete


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com