It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ONE VOTE MAKES A DIFFERENCE!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:16 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

"BLUERIBBON COALITION LAND USE UPDATE

Giant Omnibus Bill Goes Down by 1 Vote!!

Dear BRC Action Alert Subscriber,

Greg Mumm, BRC's Executive Director, just called me from Washington D.C. He told me that the infamous Omnibus Public Lands bill, commonly known as "S. 22," failed by 1 vote in the House.

The Omnibus Public Lands Management Act of 2009 (S22) had been fast-tracked through the U.S. Senate and had been expected to pass the House earlier today. Tell me one vote doesn't count! The bill is over 1,200 pages long with over 160 different bills, designates 2.2 million acres of Wilderness, identifies three new national parks, 10 national heritage areas, and designates over 1,000 miles of wild and scenic rivers.

We'll have details later. Thanks to all who made calls and emailed on this bill.

Brian Hawthorne
Public Lands Policy Director
BlueRibbon Coalition"

Had this passed, we would have lost too many trails to mention.

THanks to everyone that took the time to write in. Next time, Spread the word and get even More involved...next time maybe we can win by more than one vote.....or next time we might lose by one.....

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:31 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Great to hear that S. 22 failed! :D

Frankenlift; Skink Sliders; Skid Row front skid; Mopar trans, t-case, and gas tank skids; f/r recovery points; Cobra 75 WX ST; Renegade light bar; hardwired radar detector; 245/75 Guard Dog MTs; Optima Red Top, Amsoil air filter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:53 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Fight might not be over! (never really is though is it?!)
"BLUERIBBON COALITION ACTION ALERT!

Update on Omnibus Public Lands Legislation

Greg Mumm called early this morning with an update on the Omnibus Public Lands bill. I thought I'd pass it along to our Action Alert subscribers. Greg said there is a lot of uncertainty about where this massive bill goes next. Greg wanted me to caution BRC's members: the omnibus package is far from dead and the Wilderness lobby is working hard to jam it through without the normal congressional review process.

An article by Noelle Straub and Eric Bontrager from E&E news (http://www.eenews.net) quoted West Virginia Congressman Nick Rahall as saying he knew the vote was close, but that "a lot of groups came out of the woodwork" in the final days leading up to the vote. The article also quoted Utah Congressman Rob Bishop as saying it was a mistake for the Senate to pass such a large package. "If they have to lump these bills together, they could easily pass it by removing any bills members object to, which would truly make it a noncontroversial bill," Bishop was reported as saying.

In order to be passed, normal House rules would have to be suspended, which require a two-thirds majority vote. The final vote was 282 to 144, one vote short of the 2/3 margin.

Straub and Bontrager reported that an amendment to ensure no public lands were closed to hunting and fishing, offered by Pennsylvania Congressman Jason Altmire, was a key factor in the vote. The story also speculated on possible scenarios where the bill may still pass under "closed rules."

It is clear that the legislation contained in the omnibus package is not dead. Worse, possible scenarios are being considered that will prohibit full review as well as opportunity to offer amendments.

BRC will keep our members posted and let you know the next development in this bizarre chapter in public land politics."

Be prepared to keep fighting!! Find our how your reps voted and if they favored the mess that S22 was/is, Please send them another note to tell them how you feel. you can bet that those that would take our lands from us will be voicing Their opinions on the matter.

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject: PLEASE CONTACT YOUR SENATORS!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:32 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Of course, even though voted down last time, now they go get sneaky w/ more BS legislation!! :? :x

"BRC Urgent Action Alert
Immediate Action Requested

Omnibus Package Revived In Senate - Vote Scheduled Today

In our last update on the massive omnibus public lands bill, we cautioned our members that the package is far from dead. We wrote: "Worse, possible scenarios are being considered that will prohibit full review as well as opportunity to offer amendments."

True to form, Congress is pushing ahead with yet another vehicle for the omnibus package. This time it's H.R. 146 - "The Revolutionary War and War of 1812 Battlefield Acquisition Grant Program." This otherwise worthy bill will be amended to include the contents of the omnibus package. The Senate is expected to take the bill up at 2 p.m. eastern with the first cloture vote due as early as 5:30 p.m.

At this point it looks as if the Senate leadership will either strike a deal to limit amendments in order for the bill to move quickly, or they will just push it through without allowing any opportunity for amendments. Either way, the bill is likely to see its first cloture vote TODAY!

If the Senate passes the measure it is expected that House leadership will attempt to jam it through via one or more "closed rule" options. D.C. insiders expect House leadership to call the legislation up as a "preferential bill," which would prohibit committee review and limit amendments.

BRC is asking all of our members and supporters to call their Senators NOW. Finding their phone number is easy. Click here and enter your Zip code. Simply tell your Senator that you oppose the Omnibus Public Lands Act and you want them to vote NO on H.R. 146.

Be brief. Be polite. Do it NOW."

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:49 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Better get some more e-mails out now. I was telling the guys in NM I had no clue if any of my e-mails made a differance but I was glad I sent each and everyone of them, time to start agin.......................work can wait.

06 KJ Limited
10 JK Unlimited Rubicon
14 JK Unlimited Rubicon
14 KL Cherokee Trail Hawk