It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 565 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 29  Next
 Post subject: Re: AT THE HELM'S SHOP
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:12 am 
Lifetime Member & Advertising Vendor

Erikg84 wrote:
Those are awesome! Have you thought about making a set that would tuck up closer to the doors for those that may be interested in removing that piece of sill molding?

Thanks Eric
That's actually how I wanted to build KK sliders originally, so that the plastic would be replaced with slider.
The thing is, the pinch seam hangs low making them tough tie into both the 'frame' rails too. There's also a bracket under the rear door that would have to be cut off, which a lot of people wouldn't want to do. On top of all that, adding a bar that extends past the doors for real protection would make them quite a bit heavier..and expensive.

ATHFAB.com

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:30 pm 
LOST Addict

The metal thingy in the rear can just be drilled out where it's spot welded and then Q-tip painted. I was originally going to make it so that it tucks up more but I wanted to keep the rocks away so I sacrificed an inch or two of clearance there haha.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:26 pm 
LOST Member

I cut off that metal peice by the rear door a week ago with my dremel and had no issues. I actually like the gap between the door and the rails, where the plastic rocker used to be because it makes it easier to use for a step to reach the roof, and the gf can use it as as step to get in the Jeep easier with it off than when it was on.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:22 pm 
LOST Junkie

Texasrugby911 wrote:
I cut off that metal peice by the rear door a week ago with my dremel and had no issues. I actually like the gap between the door and the rails, where the plastic rocker used to be because it makes it easier to use for a step to reach the roof, and the gf can use it as as step to get in the Jeep easier with it off than when it was on.

Have any pictures of that? Sounds interesting. :)

927/948 OME Springs - Bilstein Shocks - JBA Upper Control Arms - Rage Black Widow Roof Basket - Viper 3606V Alarm System

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:25 am 
LOST Member

Due to a snafu by fedex, the hardware for my new ATH rails was lost in transit, however, I will be receiving the new hardware box today and will have them installed and will be sure to post some pics.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:28 am 
LOST Addict

Texasrugby911 wrote:
Due to a snafu by fedex, the hardware for my new ATH rails was lost in transit, however, I will be receiving the new hardware box today and will have them installed and will be sure to post some pics.

Thats Terry and his magic at work!!

2002 KJ Limited 3.7, 5.25" lift via coilovers, custom HD rear springs, 32.2" tires on moabs (soon 33s) 4.56/JBA diff, OX lockers front/rear, NP241OR, Parker Fab front/rear bumpers, rock rails and roof rack, Viair OBA.

2006 KJ sport 3.7, 4" Ironman lift, 32" tires, Parker Fab front/rear bumpers and rock rails.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:58 pm 
LOST Member

ATH, what tube bender do you use to make your bends?

3" OME Lift Kit + Al's A-Arms
Cooper Adventurer A/T - 245/75R16

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:59 pm 

Erikg84 wrote:
ATH, what tube bender do you use to make your bends?

I have the Rogue Fab bender with 1.75" x 6" CLR and 1.50" x 4.50" dies . Uses an air/hydro ram to cycle to pull the tube over the dies.

For the roof rack side bars, I actually use the harbor freight bender. Only works well on nominal 1" pipe and smaller. I use 'pipe size tubing' for that.

ATHFAB.com

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:32 am 
LOST Member

I have a bunch of 1" schedule 80 steel pipe laying around. I was thinking about getting the HF pipe bender, but there are mixed reviews online. I think most of the bad reviews were people trying to bend tubing in a pipe bender though... I've been thinking about picking up a welder from craigslist, and playing around a bit. It's something I've always wanted to do, just never had the time, money, or space before now.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:33 am 
LOST Member

Erikg84 wrote:
I have a bunch of 1" schedule 80 steel pipe laying around. I was thinking about getting the HF pipe bender, but there are mixed reviews online. I think most of the bad reviews were people trying to bend tubing in a pipe bender though... I've been thinking about picking up a welder from craigslist, and playing around a bit. It's something I've always wanted to do, just never had the time, money, or space before now.

Hey Erik, I'm currently going to a several month long welding school to learn SMAW, MIG and TIG and a few other processes. The cost of getting into welding is very high. You can pick up secondhand gear but the consumables are really going to get you. The cost of scrap metal, flap discs and electrodes like 6010 for SMAW are going to add up quick! By no means am I trying to discourage you but just a heads up.

31X10.5 Duratracs
Yukon / Motive Gear 4.10's

Aussie Locker. Safari Snorkel.
ARB Diff Guard
Soft 8 - X7 - 4" BS

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:42 am 
LOST Member

Yes, I understand the cost of consumables, but for the amount of welding that I would actually be doing, it shouldn't be too much. I'm thinking it will cost more at the beginning while I am learning, but should go down a little once I get the hang of it. I don't plan on doing any production work like ATH, but I figure that it is a good skill to have for tinkering, and fixing things.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:52 pm 
LOST Member

Erikg84 wrote:
Yes, I understand the cost of consumables, but for the amount of welding that I would actually be doing, it shouldn't be too much. I'm thinking it will cost more at the beginning while I am learning, but should go down a little once I get the hang of it. I don't plan on doing any production work like ATH, but I figure that it is a good skill to have for tinkering, and fixing things.

Check this video out on YouTube https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Iy5GC1zOatA

That guy oozes welding information, he makes a jeep bumper kit with a simple buzz box and some good old 6010. 6010 won't need to be heated in an oven like 7018.

31X10.5 Duratracs
Yukon / Motive Gear 4.10's

Aussie Locker. Safari Snorkel.
ARB Diff Guard
Soft 8 - X7 - 4" BS

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:24 pm 

Didn't even need to click on the link, I've watched almost all Jody's vids...good stuff there 8)

ATHFAB.com

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:52 pm 

Erikg84 wrote:

Schedule 80 is heavier walled than sch 40, so that 1" you have should bend up pretty well. I only do 45* bends with mine, not sure if anything past that would kink. Wish you were closer, I'd loan mine to you as I've been thinking about getting a 1.25" or 1.315" die for my rogue fab bender to get away from the hf bender. $200 per die though you really need to be selective :shock:
The biggest drawback is its really hard to calculate bends with it pushing up from the middle. A lot of times (most times) you need exact measurements on distances between bends, how much tube is used in a bend etc. With a real tube bender it's a lot easier to figure it all out..

ATHFAB.com

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:19 am 

Added a couple tweaks to the KK winch bumper design.. Cleaned up the hi-lift holes, dimple die radiator skid, and switched to HRPO plate. I really like working with the P&O (pickled and oiled) plate, waaaay cleaner.

ATHFAB.com

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:50 am 
LOST Addict

Stop tempting me into scratching my bumper off and buying this one...your bumpers look so clean and overall bada$$ haha.

Question, now that you have a dimples on the rad skid, why not make that a full front skid and closing that opening in the front up?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:41 pm 
LOST Junkie

Less material I'd imagine. No need for the extra steel

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:38 pm 

Pretty much... The winch bumper with a prerunner hoop weighs in at 108 lbs as it is, and I've slimmed it up as much as I can without sacrificing strength.
I'm always up for adding a filler there as a custom add on, but it would need to be a bolt on affair to be able to install the bumper and winch..

ATHFAB.com

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:14 pm 
LOST Addict

Atthehelm wrote:
Pretty much... The winch bumper with a prerunner hoop weighs in at 108 lbs as it is, and I've slimmed it up as much as I can without sacrificing strength.
I'm always up for adding a filler there as a custom add on, but it would need to be a bolt on affair to be able to install the bumper and winch..

What is the price of the bumper pictured above with the bolt on skid plate along with the light tabs and the winch plate addition I had emailed you about.

PA

Maxxis 31x10.50x15

ATS42rle

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:16 pm 

Email sent

ATHFAB.com

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 565 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 29  Next