It is currently Sun Jun 02, 2024 7:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 565 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 29  Next
 Post subject: Re: AT THE HELM'S SHOP
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:17 am 
Lifetime Member & Advertising Vendor

Got a little more work done the past few days. I got the KK/KJ top plate bolt pattern drawn in CAD along with the upper shock tabs. Also turned down the adapters I have a little bit with my, um, 'lathe'. HUGE thank you to the fellow Jeeper I got these from (you know who you are) along with NaMoulton for the help with info.

ATHFAB.com

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:20 am 
LOST Addict

Looks good. Keep the measurements and you can make the next "boiler" top plates AND coilover mounts. He used to make 3/8" plates I believe, but long stopped that...

What spring rate did you go with? If I remember right King does increments of 50. Idk if you're like me, but I found the stock 310lbs to be a little soft, but the 400lbs of the OME 927s to be a little too stiff for my KK. 350lbs would probably give a nice medium.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:11 pm 
LOST Newbie

What spring length did you choose? 12"? I can't wait until you get this together. I had been considering using their springs instead of OME.

2012 Bright white KK - Steelcraft black brushguard, painted black rims (didn't know it was so popular lol), 1" clevis lift in the front, RS Chip (woke her up!), magnaflow muffler + resonator delete and a few other small mods.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:36 pm 

Bmxer524 wrote:
Looks good. Keep the measurements and you can make the next "boiler" top plates AND coilover mounts. He used to make 3/8" plates I believe, but long stopped that...

What spring rate did you go with? If I remember right King does increments of 50. Idk if you're like me, but I found the stock 310lbs to be a little soft, but the 400lbs of the OME 927s to be a little too stiff for my KK. 350lbs would probably give a nice medium.

I took a shot in the dark and went with 400lb rate springs.

KrazyKK wrote:
What spring length did you choose? 12"? I can't wait until you get this together. I had been considering using their springs instead of OME.

12".
You won't want to use coilover springs on our oem style shocks. Coilover springs are flat at the ends |\/\/\/| and our oem spring isolators have steps to fit the non-flattened ended springs. /\/\/\/
And just for reference OME 927s are 15.50" from end to end...

ATHFAB.com

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:58 pm 
LOST Newbie

At The Helm wrote:

KrazyKK wrote:

12".
You won't want to use coilover springs on our oem style shocks. Coilover springs are flat at the ends |\/\/\/| and our oem spring isolators have steps to fit the non-flattened ended springs. /\/\/\/

Ah, now I understand why not many attempt this. :oops:

Still watching and learning from ya though. :)

2012 Bright white KK - Steelcraft black brushguard, painted black rims (didn't know it was so popular lol), 1" clevis lift in the front, RS Chip (woke her up!), magnaflow muffler + resonator delete and a few other small mods.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:32 pm 

I don't see why you couldn't get 16x3x400 springs and cut the ends off so they're not flat and use those... Eibach also has a vast selection of springs.

ATHFAB.com

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:15 am 
LOST Addict

KrazyKK wrote:
At The Helm wrote:

KrazyKK wrote:

12".

Ah, now I understand why not many attempt this. :oops:

Still watching and learning from ya though. :)

Not as bad as you think. Once you know the details you're pretty set. The hardest part is picking the springs. You need to fab up the mounts and clevis for the coilover shocks, no big deal with someone with fab skill (Morgan for example). Coilover shocks aren't too bad, ideally you'll stay close to stock lengths (for our Jeeps atleast), then figure out valving (generally high end shocks are rebuildable which means you can change that down the road). Now you're dealing with springs. This is more or less trial and error. Spring length will vary based off the shocks, I'm assuming for our application you'd want about 8-12" long springs (compressing the springs give lift, too long you might get too much, too short you crank down too much and bind coils). Luckily for me I can pull my current coilovers apart and measure the length of the JBA springs and shoot for that. Then comes spring rate, stock is 310, OME 927s are 400. Personally I found 400 to be too stiff, 310 too soft. I would probably shoot for about 350-375lbs. Hence trial and error.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:29 am 
LOST Junkie

I'll be interested to see how you like the 400# coils

I'll be going eibach springs when I reach this point and considered 500# springs.... keep me in the loop on your experiences!

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:45 am 
LOST Newbie

Any updates? 8)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:18 am 

KrazyKK wrote:
Any updates? 8)

Not really, Ive been super busy with my full time day job, filling orders, and a full bathroom renovation.
All I really have to do is build the upper mounts and some lower spring perches. Then install and see how the valving and spring rates feel.

ATHFAB.com

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:16 am 

Got a little more work done on my coilovers, just need to test fit and cycle without the springs to see if everything landed in the right spots from droop to bump.

ATHFAB.com

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:13 pm 
LOST Junkie

Look at those welds!

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:21 pm 
LOST Addict

Wow. Looking good Morgan! Those welds doe :rockon: What are you doing about the clevis? From the looks of it that lower piece should accept the factory clevis.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:37 pm 

Bmxer524 wrote:
Wow. Looking good Morgan! Those welds doe :rockon: What are you doing about the clevis? From the looks of it that lower piece should accept the factory clevis.

Thanks guys

Yes the lower mount is ready for the factory clevis to clamp on to.

ATHFAB.com

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:22 pm 
LOST Member

Looking good. Can't wait to see those coilovers installed.

Frankenlifted front, custom springs 4" rear, 23.25" F/R - 265/75 Duratracs 16x7 D windows- JBA 4.5 UCAs, Y-link - AEM Brute Intake - Rockcrusher diff cover, Mopar Front Skid, All J belly skid, Skink Sliders - EBC Green Stuff F/R - DTT Front, 4.10s

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:29 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

At The Helm wrote:
Got a little more work done on my coilovers, just need to test fit and cycle without the springs to see if everything landed in the right spots from droop to bump.

Nice work ,.............as always

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:01 pm 
LOST Newbie

To echo what others have been saying... that looks awesome.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:12 am 
LOST Addict

You need to hurry up and get these in and take pictures!!!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:21 am 

NAMoulton1 wrote:
You need to hurry up and get these in and take pictures!!!

ATHFAB.com

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:07 pm 

Took apart the passenger side last week to test fit everything and cycled the suspension..........total fail. I really should have cycled the suspension without shocks installed first to gather the much needed measurements to ensure I'm hitting the bumpstop and getting maximum droop, along with my desired ride height. I will have to do what I was avoiding in order to achieve this: build custom clevises that are the correct length (even the shorter KJ clevises are too long). The reason I was avoiding this is because breaking down the coilovers for service will be a big pita as you can't just slide the spring off the shock without unthreading the clevis or removing the schrader valve on top.
I think I've got it all figured out now will get going on V2 asap. More springs and cnc parts are on order.

A few pics for entertainment

ATHFAB.com

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 565 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 29  Next