It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Adding a Supercharger
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:55 pm 
LOST Newbie

I have a spare supercharger off of a 3.8L Ford Thunderbird. I will within the next few months be adapting this honey to my '02 Libby. Doesn't appear to be too difficult, of course with some fab. I figure about a sixty hp gain with a 5-6 psi boost. Should be very torquey. Let me know what you guys think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:45 pm 
LOST Newbie

Don't forget you'll need reprogram the computer.
That the intake is a composite plastic so it's probably not strong enough and a new hood for clearance, different drive belt, hoses, intake, etc.
I think that's they Kenny belle stopped making them.
But if you can make it work, fantastic, you'll have a one of a kind.

(Mopar Bullbar, Courtesy Lights, Webasto moonroof, Subwoofer, 05 AC controls, Scangauge, Aux. Lights, 9145 to 9005, Mag mount, USASpec Ipod Controller, rear gate pocket, Lloyd Mats, Filtermag, etc...) JEEP Owner until the day I die.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:29 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Check out this page on the DodgeTalk forum:

http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84204&highlight=3.7+paxton

Apparently KRC is making a kit to put a Paxton on a 3.7L. Of course, you'd still have the hood clearance problem. If your Libby is lifted you'd probably be better off dropping the frontend carriage like Al; you would gain vertical clearance and also improve your CV angles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:14 am 
LOST Newbie

I think that other forum post was a mistype. He probably meant 4.7. I checked out the site and the supercharger page.

http://www.krcperformance.net/newconten ... rsnew.html

Didn't see anything. It's kinda sad, a supercharger would be cool. Just too much work.

(Mopar Bullbar, Courtesy Lights, Webasto moonroof, Subwoofer, 05 AC controls, Scangauge, Aux. Lights, 9145 to 9005, Mag mount, USASpec Ipod Controller, rear gate pocket, Lloyd Mats, Filtermag, etc...) JEEP Owner until the day I die.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:39 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Phoned KRC Performance today and they said the 4.7 kit will work on the 3.7, you just need to trim the tube to be 1" shorter. They say everything else is compatible and that it has been done before. They also said that you should be fine with the stock pistons if you tune it properly. So, who's gonna try it :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:27 pm 
LOST Newbie

Okay, that makes sense. Personally, that would be nice, but I haven't even got my JBA headers yet. Supposed to be the first week of Sept.
I think it would be a little harder to explain away $5000 supercharger, if you know what I mean.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:54 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Didn't know this existed until I found it one day. Its now discontinued. Perhaps if enough people show interest, they'll make it again.

http://www.kennebell.net/superchargers/ ... bert37.htm

3 inch lift; Rusty's springs all around, Rancho struts + 4 electrical conduit washers up front. Old Man Emu in rear.
Moog K3199 in the lowers
General Grabber AT2 - 245 75 16 "load E on a mawl crawler? You don't need those." tire dealer.
K&N Filter
Silverstar Ultras

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:39 pm 
LOST Addict

I talked to KRC quite a bit about supercharging mine last June. We came to the conclusion that it would be pretty easy to do with the Paxton kit for the 4.7, but the rings and pistons really should be upgraded because of the ring problem. We discussed some custom forged pistons from Ross based off their 4.7 pistons.

I'm looking at the numbers for the KB supercharged Liberty again and they still just don't look right. The caption says divide by 0.8 to get engine horsepower, which would denote it's an automatic. The automatic 3.7 in a stock Liberty puts 155 hp to the ground using a Dynojet dyno, not 166. That would be a factory freak. However, a good driver can get a low 17 run in the 80's out of a stock Liberty, not 18.6 at 75.1. So we know if it's a factory freak, it's not in a good way. Also, a 16.1 while making 235 hp to the ground with the supercharger doesn't look right. If we assume it is off by the same ratio as the stock numbers, about 7%, it puts us around 218 hp to the ground. This would make me think that the torque management wasn't deleted. In my experience you can't get the Libby to put more than 215-220 hp to the ground with the torque management no matter what you do. A 100 hp wet shot of N2O won't even do it. Only doing a 9.7 second 0-60 makes be think the torque management kicked in pretty badly also. It looks like the dyno was adjusted to make the stock Libby put around 80% of 210 hp to the ground. My Libby with a stock motor and no nitrous really shouldn't be able to outrun a supercharged one.

Frankenlift II Premium, Al's Upper Arms, 245/75R16 C Silent Armors on Moabs, RL Skink Super Sliders, Rear DTT, Riddler Diff Cover, Fastman Throttle Body, Profinish-Proglass Hood, Borla Dual Outlet Exhaust, TransGo Reprogramming Kit, APS Stall Converter, 4.10 Gears, B&G Chrysler PCM, Lots of Line-X, etc...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:21 pm 
LOST Addict

Anybody know if this was perhaps the Performance West Liberty Patriot that KB ran with and without the supercharger? If those are numbers with a lift and 245/75R16 MTR's, it would explain things.

Frankenlift II Premium, Al's Upper Arms, 245/75R16 C Silent Armors on Moabs, RL Skink Super Sliders, Rear DTT, Riddler Diff Cover, Fastman Throttle Body, Profinish-Proglass Hood, Borla Dual Outlet Exhaust, TransGo Reprogramming Kit, APS Stall Converter, 4.10 Gears, B&G Chrysler PCM, Lots of Line-X, etc...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:41 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

This might be a crazy idea but what about one of those STS exhaust chargers that go in place of the rear muffler ....That would solve the hood clearance issues

http://www.ststurbo.com/universal_system

Try this link... :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:57 pm 
LOST Member

dont know how different the engines are between the 3.8(jk) and 3.7(kj) but heres a company that makes a supercharger for the jk. http://www.rippmods.com
might work. a little pricy though

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:28 pm 
LOST Newbie

To me that is a ton on money for a SC setup. I wanted to do this on my Dakota 4.7 and I was completely sticker shocked. I did not see a mention of fuel upgrades either. Find it hard to believe the Stock injectors and pumps could adequately meet a safe demand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 4:03 pm 
LOST Member

I've seen a lot of the supercharger discussions and I have a lot of experience with Turbo Dodge vehicles. I agree that the piston issue is a concern, but I keep hearing about the "composite intake" being a concern. I seriously doubt that. most superchargers are MILD pressure compared to turbo vehicles. I've run 21psi in my turbo dodges before and some run 30+.
Street Superchargers (which I admint I am not experienced with) appear to be less than 7 psi. If you have ever seen the plastic box that the Shelby Daytona's used for 14 PSI, you'd laugh about these composite intake comments. That Shelby box was thin plastic.

As for tuning the compuer and such, there are "poor man" methods for doing this. If your boost is 2-3 psi, the computer will probably adjust for it from the factory based on feedback from the O2 sensor.

Another method? Add a cold start fuel injector with a pressure switch (adjustable 0 to 30 psi). You can then have it add fuel when boost kicks in.

You may also be able to add a rising rate regulator that adds fuel with boost (I've never used one of these though)

DIY Frankie Lift, BBS Rims, Aussie Locker Rear, DTT Front, Renegade Rack & Light Bar, Custom Front Bumper w/ Warn XD9000i, Custom Rear Bumper, JBA UCA's, Full Skids(Mopar, Kilby and Super skid), CRS Rock Rails, CB, EVIC, Nav, power dim mirror, (2) 8" subs under front seats. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2512777