It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: D-ring Fab.
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:42 pm 
LOST Newbie

I was just thinking about doin a Dring fab but would like to ask some questions and see what everybody else thought. Well i do like the Detour backbone, but going through college I don't have $300 to drop. So I was thinking........would it be strong enough to run like 2x2" tubing from each side, like from where the factory tow hooks are located, and then maybe welding a crossmember from one to the other, that runs just behind the bumper. And then to weld some Dring brackets to that? I wish I knew how to put like a blue print on the computer. But it would look like a rectangle. Where the two shorter sides would bolt to where the towhooks were, and then the long side would be the crossmember. So it's just a thought and I haven't thought through all of the bugs. Let me know some thoughts and ideas. Thanks

LR

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:53 am 
LOST Addict

sounds like you are trying to to something like Kjhawaii has done. I will look up his post on it later, just wait till its my lunchtime :lol:

06 CRD Sport
Built 5/11/06
Jeep Green
Rocklizard diff cover
V6 Airbox

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:28 am 
LOST Addict

Here you go.
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=16032&view=previous&sid=917f9b97d0e1c2909d15a3cdae3a7aec

http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=101742&sid=3af8b9e6c350fae4c3beea9bdb5e6a25

P.S.
Jeger took your advice the search works great.

On the prowl for an M416/M101/M100 trailer
L.O.S.T. Member 2877

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:30 am 
LOST Addict

LOL I just sat down to hunt that up. Thanks for doing the search 8)

06 CRD Sport
Built 5/11/06
Jeep Green
Rocklizard diff cover
V6 Airbox

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:53 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

You can also go this route for a more specific install. Hawaii's is GREAT, but if you just want the shackles without the hitch receivers, this is the way I went.

It's not listed in the thread, but I just welded a cross-bar betweeh the 2 hitch arms after I did the write-up

http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/vie ... php?t=9316

[]--------[] ---2.5" BDS lift, 245/75/16 MT/Rs, Moab Rims, Locked and Regeared!
[]_____[] ---The list got to long, go to my web site for more!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:35 pm 
LOST Newbie

I actually should of read some more in other threads because after I wrote this I found Gris's. I do like the idea alot and think I'm going to go with that. So you just take the receiver hitches, weld a 1x1" tubing on each of the hitches, and then bold those to the unibody? And then you welded like another 1x1" from one to the other? If I understand all of this right I'm going to start gathering parts and make it a weekend project with my brother. Thanks

LR

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:12 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

LRwrnglr wrote:
I actually should of read some more in other threads because after I wrote this I found Gris's. I do like the idea alot and think I'm going to go with that. So you just take the receiver hitches, weld a 1x1" tubing on each of the hitches, and then bold those to the unibody? And then you welded like another 1x1" from one to the other? If I understand all of this right I'm going to start gathering parts and make it a weekend project with my brother. Thanks

LR

That's exactly it.

Welding the 1x1 to the hitch arm just lowered the arms so that the shackles were lined up with the bumper opening vertically. The amount of drop you get on the receiver arms determins horizantal location. The longer the drop, the closer to the cetner of the Jeep they will go. I found 3-4" drop perfect for the old style bumper.

They bolt into the same holes that the stock tow-hooks would bolt into. Since unibody has the holes predrilled, and no nuts are welded in, you can use any size bolt you want.

And lasty... yep, another peie of 1x1 connects the 2 together for added strength.

[]--------[] ---2.5" BDS lift, 245/75/16 MT/Rs, Moab Rims, Locked and Regeared!
[]_____[] ---The list got to long, go to my web site for more!