It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wood rear cargo shelf
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 6:12 pm 
LOST Junkie

Low-tech wooden shelf that stays over the rear cargo area - also search for 'All J Products KJ Cargo Rack' for their all-metal system.

Note that my email address is now toad40@cox.net if you want .pdf's of the sketches.

Good luck!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/683398/8

Last edited by phxtoad on Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:42 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

It is such a great shelf idea, I made one of my own.

The beveled section on the top holds the grill part of my Fire & Ice Grill.
I put in u-rings to strap it down, it doesn't move under normal driving, but I don't always drive normally. The grill has a bottle opener on it, so I didn't need to add one to my shelf.

I also added two deck lids. These things usually go on boats to allow access to outer hulls and storage. They just started making deck lids with little bags in them. The lids I installed are 6 inches across, which makes them larger enough to hold the 2lb gas containers I use on the grill, even with the attachment piece on.

As you can see, the bags hang down pretty low, so they store a lot of stuff. They can also be removed to be cleaned or replaced. They hang down on either side of the cooler, when the cooler is in place underneath the shelf.

When the shelf is not hauling around "The Grill", it has bungee straps on it to keep lose items from blowning around (atlas, air pump, blanket, footballs). The level of my shelf is higher, due to the clearance needed for the cooler. The usual wind noise (buffeting, helicopter sound) you get from opening all the windows and driving highway speeds was eliminated after I installed the shelf.

CRS-Rock Rails * Rusty's Lift * *MTR's * Husky Mats * The 'Grill' and Shelf

FRS/CB (ch 6)

Last edited by LoganSix on Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:47 pm 
I live here
I live here

Most EXCELLENT!!!

2004 Renegade Light Khaki - 4" JBA Lift - Rock Lizard Products: Komodo Dragon Rear Bumper, Prototype Winch-mount Front Bumper, Super Skink Sliders - All J's Super Tranny Skid II - 31" Firestone Destination AT's on Moab wheels - Cobra 75W CB w/ stock Antenna mod

[b]Retired, US Military

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 7:35 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Well here is my version of phxtoad's rear shelf design.

I used 3/4" AB plywood for the main shelf board and 3.5" 'select' pine for the shelf edge and bracing. In case you are not familiar with what 'select' pine is, it is a higher quality and stronger board than the stardard pine boards you commonly find at places such as Home Despot. Basically 'select' pine has no knots or splits and costs only slightly more then the basic pine. I probably could have made the rear 43" wide as in phxtoad's design but I thought I had clearance problems at first...now that it is installed I see that my fears were unfounded.

I used 1/2" metal rod for the shelf deck supports as well as the 12.5" rear hook brackets. I purchased 2-36" lengths of the 1/2" steel rod and cut each to 23" long for the shelf deck supports then used the remainder of each rod to construct the rear hook brackets. It was easy to bend the steel rod by heating them to red hot at the place where I made my bends using my blow torch. I then used my anvil and 5lb sledge hammer to bend the right-angle into the rod to make the hook. The reason for using two rod sections was due to not being able to find 48" long steel rod of the correct diameter. There was 1/2" threaded rod available but it is not nearly as strong as the 1/2" non-threaded steel rod. In the end it turned out for the better as I used the leftover rod for the rear hook brackets. Using the two sections up front allows me to push them out some once the shelf is installed thereby allowing for more support of the rods by the plastic body panels notches where they sit.

The wood was assembled with 1-1/2" and 9/16" lathe screws which were countersunk until flush for the shelf edge which is visible in the front. The 1/2" metal rods were attached with metal 1/2" electrical cable brackets as phxtoad used. The shelf edge was secured using 1-1/2" lathe screws as well as the angle brackets seen in the detail photos. I use corner fastners in the corner cut-out areas to help prevent splintering and to give it a cleaner more professional appearance.

Finishing of the rear shelf unit consisted of using wood filler at the seams in the visible areas and over the counter-sunk screw heads along front of the shelf edge. All wood surfaces were sanded and the ends of the rods were smoothed on a grinder. The entire assembled unit was given several coats of grey primer and then painted with 2 coats of granite texturing paint. Finally I gave it several coats of clear-coat to make it all nice and chip-proof. We'll see how chip-proof it really is after a few runs in the mountians.

Anyway...the photos are as follows. I have included dimensions on some of the images. Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Top Shot
Bottom Shot
Construction Details
Rear Bracket Detail
Rear Shot Lower View
Rear Door Opened
Rear Shot Door Closed

John
];')

My Wheeling Videos :JEEPIN:
My Mods, Upgrades and Custom Fabrications

Last edited by Kugellager on Sun Nov 05, 2006 3:49 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:44 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

NIce!!

31x9.5 SS TSLs!
Detroit Truetrac/Powertrax
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2062875

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:21 pm 
I live here
I live here

Are you putting a rubber mat down to prevent sliding?

2004 Renegade Light Khaki - 4" JBA Lift - Rock Lizard Products: Komodo Dragon Rear Bumper, Prototype Winch-mount Front Bumper, Super Skink Sliders - All J's Super Tranny Skid II - 31" Firestone Destination AT's on Moab wheels - Cobra 75W CB w/ stock Antenna mod

[b]Retired, US Military

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:11 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Shelf liner!

Mopar Tubular Brush Guard
Garmin GPS V & Laptop w/Nav software
RAM products laptop mount
Maglite w/mount
Rear cargo bay tool cabinet
AllJs Rear Shelf
Rear receiver
250k miles!
LOST #CR051230

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:25 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Tokyojoe wrote:
Are you putting a rubber mat down to prevent sliding?
I hadn't planned on putting down rubber mat on the surface. The first and foremost reason for constructing the shelf was to hide anything I might keep in the back. Basically out of sight out of mind as far as theives are concerned. I realize it is no real security but decreasing the opportunity is what is important.

If I could find some sort of rubberizing clear coat I might give that a try. Possibly some rubberized coating like that which is used to coat hand tools...if it were clear. The granite paint I used has some texture to it but is definitely not slide-proof. I really intend to only bungee items like sleeping bags and other soft things to it...at least at the moment.

John
];')

My Wheeling Videos :JEEPIN:
My Mods, Upgrades and Custom Fabrications

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:57 am 
LOST Newbie

Thanks for sharing the design and ideas. Don

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:33 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Are you sure it is such a good idea to grill in the back of your Jeep?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:00 pm 
LOST Junkie

Seems like a great way to put a subwoofer in the back without losing too much cargo space 8)