It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rock rail idea
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 3:42 pm 
LOST Member

All,

Back in the day I had a TJ and it was common (I did it) to simply bolt a section of thick gauge angle iron to the tub under the door. The thought was that it would distribute the wieght accross the entire section in the case of a collision. I am wondering and asking if you guys think this same concept could work on a KJ. I have plastic molding pieces covering the area now. Has anyone removed the molding? What does it look like? How is the molding attached? Just a thought.

-Dr. Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 4:10 pm 
LOST Member

I actually did the exact thing your thinking of. That peiece of plastic molding just rips off, attached by some weak pop clips. Mine is sitting somewhere in the middle of the woods at the moment. Been there for about a year now.

I had that same idea, this is what i came up with

2 peiece of angle iron steel per side bolted to the pinch seam. I painted them silver, there is about 8-10 bolts or so per side i beleive if memory serves correctly.

Nobody felt they would hold up, they have, they've saved me from quite a bit of damage and have held up quick nicely. They slide very nicely over old stumps, rocks and helped me slide over a tree that without them i would've never made it over. For the $75 it cost me to buy all the supplies for them it was money well spent.

If you'd be interested i can get you some better pics so you can have an idea of what is actually going on.

Self Installed Auto-dim rear view
Custom light bar.

In the works : Lift kit, courtesy entry lighting, back up lighting and rear seat lighting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 4:21 pm 
LOST Member

JM,

BINGO! I am very interested is seeing some additional photos. Thanks.

-Dr. Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 6:45 pm 
LOST Member

i should have them up sometime in the next 12-24 hours, kinda stuck at work at the moment with no digi cam or come to think of it, the jeep.

Custom light bar.

In the works : Lift kit, courtesy entry lighting, back up lighting and rear seat lighting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 12:14 am 
I live here
I live here

Just want to give you some thought and not tryin to knock your idea.

Location could play a major role in this. Your trails may not require the same as other locations.

The idea of the rails you see made by Carolina, All J, Rock Lizard, and a few other companies is to protect your body. Not just from dropping down on rocks, stumps, logs, and other things, but to protect you when you slide sideways into something or are in a heavy tilt or sharp turn around or next to an odd shaped rock that is sticking out towards your KJ. Also, running over something can cause other things to pop up.

It looks like your idea will work great when dropping down on things and sliding over them, but keep in mind, if your trails have those mean objects trying to jump up and hit your body from the side, you won't be protected.

Even the rails from the companies I mentioned, aren't full proof protection either. I have come very close to rocks that would have done damage to my door and the rails would not have helped.

2004 Renegade Light Khaki - 4" JBA Lift - Rock Lizard Products: Komodo Dragon Rear Bumper, Prototype Winch-mount Front Bumper, Super Skink Sliders - All J's Super Tranny Skid II - 31" Firestone Destination AT's on Moab wheels - Cobra 75W CB w/ stock Antenna mod

[b]Retired, US Military

Last edited by Tokyojoe on Sun May 20, 2007 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 1:19 am 
LOST Member

He does bring up a very very good point.

This idea worked out very well for my local trails, and the off-roading i have available to me in my area. Hell, scary as it is, i'm the only one in my group that i usually go out with that has any kinda of armour.

Custom light bar.