It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fabed parts
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:38 am 
LOST Member

Ok i got a buddy who works in a fab shop and he said if i buy all the parts hell fab me anything i want on his spare time, so i was thinking some armor and skink sliders and maybe down the road a front or rear bumper.

Im just curious if anyone has any blue prints so to say or dimensions for any of this stuff, or if not ill start from scratch...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:59 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

you can find some dimensions on rock rails if you brose threw all of the fabed rock rails on here and for a bumper it would depend on the year and the style you want, if you have an 02-04 I can give you the dimensions I used

http://www.dpgoffroad.com/
http://www.ucora.org/
http://www.christianoffroad.com/
http://jeepinbyal.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:26 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member

be better to come up with your own ideas for bumpers I think, look through different forums not just Jeep ones and take some ideas from them all and then you have a real one of a kind bumper :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:49 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Better to start from scratch so as not to copy a design already on the market and the property of someone already.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:16 pm 

tjkj2002 wrote:
Better to start from scratch so as not to copy a design already on the market and the property of someone already.

I was trying to be nice for a change :shock: but thats what I hoped they would get from it :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I hate it when someone works a ton of hours to come up with a great new _______ (fill in the blank) and two days later everyone copies it and makes it like they did all the work, oh well :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:55 pm 
LOST Junkie

Figured I'd chime in here while waiting on the wife tonight....

While I agree originality is best (and has always made me proud of myself), I'd like to direct my post to Drasis.

Drasis, I wouldn't recommend copying someone's "blueprints", unless someone offers them to you for your personal build. Meaning you won't be marketing a bumper with someone else's design. Dimensions on the other hand are another story. And what I mean by that is, if you are going to follow the bumper / bodylines of Chrysler's Jeep Liberty, by building a similar solid bumper, make sure you fab up something not exactly matching their patented bumper. Anyone who has done this, is also flirting with infringement. And yes, the same can be said for anyone's aftermarket bumper. All you have to do is change up your recovery point(s), and or turn signal location an inch or two for example, and you're golden. And if you want, once you have plans (aka blueprints of your own, you too can patent as well. Mind you, if you're just building a bumper for yourself, no one is going to go through the hassle of legal action. Keep in mind, any "named" aftermarket company would have to prove you stole and sold (made money) from their patent in order to be sued. So do not market or sell someone else's design or you could find yourself in trouble.

On a personal note, I would be flattered if someone thought enough of my design to copy it. As long as you weren't selling it. But that's just me.

Now with that said, yes I assumed you are only interested in designing a bumper for your KJ, and that you're looking for ideas. Personally, I like the route incusbusmike took, (maybe he will chime in with a linky to his post here on the forums somewhere?) - He found an aftermarket bumper and modified the mounts to work on a KJ. If you look around at bumpers for Jeeps, including the KJ, you're going to find the aftermarket bumpers for KJ's are the most expensive, while the Wrangler bumpers are cheaper because the supply is greater than it is for the KJ. Anyway, I am thinking of taking a similar route incusbusmike took - I've seen a couple of different aftermarket Cherokee and Wrangler front bumper(s) that might work for me. Of course I am not ruling out purchasing an aftermarket KJ (front) bumper either. As for the rear, I am hoping RL will release their proposed rear bumper. TBD....

So as I began, I think you would be most proud of designing your own bumper, if that is the route you want to go? Can't say as I blame you especially when you have someone who will do the labor (hard work) for you, for next to nothing. Good luck.

Got to run, the wife is ready!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:42 am 
LOST Addict

If Joe Schmo made the best looking bumper I had ever seen and I knew I could copy the design and make it myself and save $$ while doing it, I'd do it in a second. If you are making it for yourself, copy the crap out of anything you want. Just don't plan on selling them. As far as blueprints, you don't need em, just make your own stuff from things you like or what you'd like to see on your KJ. I love the Fabtech front bumpers for the TJs so I made it work on my KJ like Crossbones said earlier. The pics of it are in the sticky bumper thread somewhere on here. It wasn't worth it to me to buy a KJ specific one because I don't like any of them. The rear on the other hand is a different story. If RL would get the new rear design out so we could see it, I'd save for one if I liked it, or if not, I am going to start on my own again. So just design the parts you want for your KJ and have your buddy fab them up. You can look at other guy's stuff for inspiration, but original is almost always better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:18 pm 
LOST Member

Thanks for the replies, and no i wasnt trying to copy any legal bumpers out their. Mostly i was just looking for a patern of someones who had fabbed their own bumper for their own personal use.

Hence like i had a buddy who had the bolt patterns for skid plates so i took that tossed those into my autocad and drew up a blue print, than had my buddy who works in a fab shop cut it and powder coat it. real easy and cost alot less than a manufactured one, plus it covers the areas that i want it to cover..

But like you said originality is good but have dimensions orsomeones blueprints to work from makes it alot easier.

But if no one does its no biggy, I got several tape measures and plenty of imagination

thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:22 am 
LOST Addict

Drassis wrote:
I got several tape measures and plenty of imagination

Sounds like you are good to go. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:06 am 
LOST Member

as long as you dont sell it i wouldnt see a problem with copying somone elses design

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:58 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

But is not Imitation is the greatest form of flattery

{Electric Stuttertone Emergency Horn}
strobe leds front and rear
2 way VHF radio (kenwood)
westin brush guard+ Hella 500's w/ 100w 3000k bulbs
back seat removed and shelf added
rolled and totaled dec 4 2010..(drunk driver)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:04 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

ga_repoman wrote:

Usually....... but try imitating a police officer once, them guys have no sense of humor!! :shock:

L.O.S.T. #DW090501

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:55 am 

501 wrote:
ga_repoman wrote:

Usually....... but try imitating a police officer once, them guys have no sense of humor!! :shock:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:07 pm 
Banned For Abuse on LostJeeps.com

:lol:

A dirty Jeep is a happy Jeep