It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: HERCULINER (My $.02)
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:14 pm 
LOST Junkie

Just wanted to post a FYI thread in this fab section.

I have a little experience with the stuff, and have to give it my seal of approval!

It's a bit pricey ($79 to $99 per gallon) and it is stinky, but it's available at Menards, Tractor Supply, Murrays, and I'm sure a whole host of other stores.

The stuff goes on best when you are putting it in the "down" position, and drips relativley quick (due to it's weight) when you are trying to put it on something above you.

You will want to use xylene to prep the surfaces prior to application, and it's smart to do it in a well ventilated space.... wearing gloves (one the stuff dries, it's harder than paint to get off your skin), and definently you will want to wear safety glasses!

As I said,I used it in an unconventional way, for work, inside a machines enclosure, and the customer has been happy with the results, despite sharp metal chips, and coolant trying to eat it's way thru the stuff.

Also I should note that if you use it on sliders or bash guards, it's pretty easy to touch up because it sticks to it's self.... and once it has dried the only way I have found that it will come off is with a grinder....
-Mark

Post subject: I'm interested and learning
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:24 am 
LOST Addict

How far does a gallon Go??? I'm thinking of Skink Super Sliders and then both bumpers and fender flares, and maybe even from the belt line down. Talk about bullet proof. I'm wondering would 2 gallons do it or more??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:40 am 
LOST Junkie

Depending on how thick you go, a Gallon is supposed to be good for a 6' truck bed (bottom, sides and cab), and they sell a smaller size that makes up the difference for the 8' bed.

What do you mean by belt line?
-Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:46 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

My .02, if it matters to anyone using the stuff.....
See if you can get it with a UV protectant additive or try to mix one in. Over time it will fade and turn from black to a charcoal grey-ish color.

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:46 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

The belt line is 1/2 way up the side of the door.

Terry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:02 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I took a rock off the expressway into my BLING chrome grille that i hated anyway. rather than pay 200.00 for a new grille I used Herculiner. I LOVE IT.

only issue is when bugs hit it they really get caught in it, lol.

'07 Ltd 3.7L, Black, OME HD's, OME shocks, Mopar Skids, AEV Bridgers w/ TPMS, Kumho KL78's, ARB Bumper, KC 130 Watters, Warn M8000 Winch, Rock Lizard Gecko Roof Basket KC 150 watters, Cobra 75WSX, 3 ft FireFly, RL Super Step Skinks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:05 pm 
LOST Junkie

JJsKJ wrote:
My .02, if it matters to anyone using the stuff.....
See if you can get it with a UV protectant additive or try to mix one in. Over time it will fade and turn from black to a charcoal grey-ish color.

Does the Herculiner not have the UV protectant in it then?

Long sotry short, we were going to use Sherwin Williams Pouline paint to coat the herculiner, when asked, the guy from sherwin williams basically said that we would be wasting our time with the chemical resistant paint, and that the herculiner should be fine, and he went on about UV additative already being in the stuff.... or did I get what he said backwards?

Anyway, I just wanted to bring up herculiner for the sake of discussion and to make others aware of a very useful product at our disposal (and it's cheaper and easier than Ryno Lining)
-Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:05 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

but if you have the sport with the plastic fendes and bumpers they need to be pirmed before do add the bedliner right?

so what type of primer do I need to get? b/c Im really wanting to do this

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:23 pm 
LOST Junkie

Ooh, I don't know what you would have to use to go over plastic? Maybe try contacting herculiner, and asking their tech support?
-Mark

Post subject: hercucrap
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:21 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I have used this stuff a ton I should own stock in the company. It will not last very long the stuff turns grey quickly it actually wears off with washings( were talking a year or so). My company puts it in about 8 pickups a year. Im not real impressed honestly. but the rhino lining we have done starts to peal up after a couple years as well. If you rough the pastic a little bit it sticks fine. I actually built a show truck and used this to cover the bushwackers and the rocker panels and then painted over it to match the truck it is holding up very well.I will get pics. IF YOU ARE GOING TO PAINT IT USE URETHANE AND DO IT JUST BEFORE THE HURCULINER DRIES. Because hurculiner is urethane based and if you let it dry you cannot sand it rough again to paint. it dries glossy. Sorry for the huge post. :?

rockkrawler wheels
EHM/SEGR almost, freeflow exhaust 5"hole
custom cross rails
SC ROCKSTAR (the first)
Life changes with kids,make sure it is for the best.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:47 am 
LOST Addict

Anyone have experience with Line-X. I've heard it's supposed to be a better product.

Original Old L.O.S.T. #000354

Nick's Pics & Mods click here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/531173
http://www.survivaltopics.com/forums/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:56 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

KJ04 wrote:
Anyone have experience with Line-X. I've heard it's supposed to be a better product.
I have many friends back home with Line-X in there pickups,they love it.Plus if they coated the inside of the Pentagon with it it can't be that bad(used for bomb proofing).Never heard anyone having any problems with Line-X.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:42 pm 
LOST Addict

jsc7002 wrote:
but if you have the sport with the plastic fendes and bumpers they need to be pirmed before do add the bedliner right?

so what type of primer do I need to get? b/c Im really wanting to do this

Years ago I worked for one of the largest volme of business Paint Stores in Denver (DEVOE PAINT} . 95% of this stores business was with painting countractors. Whether it was the college kid doing summer work or one of the big union shops they did business with DEVOE. A product we sold quite a bit of for difficult surfaces was called XIM it's a bonder to help actually glue you paint onto a hard to stick to surfice.
Go To: http://www.ximbonder.com/

XIM saved many a painters bacon on some real hard to paint items. It comes in clear or white it was originally designed for the automotive paint industry. But with more paints being reformulated to water bourn paints, it's probably falling to the side lines like the old school hand rubbing laquers. Hope this helps 8)