Post subject: exoskeleton
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:00 pm 
LOST Addict

Has anyone seen this exoskeleton KJ?

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2499276

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:14 pm 
LOST Member

sweet, i'm surprised no one on here has done that kinda thing yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:10 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

To each his own as they say. IMO, it's ugly. Not beat with an ugly stick kind of ugly. It was beat with the whole tree! :lol:

Terry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:05 pm 
JEEPZILLIA
JEEPZILLIA

well it is differant.......

Moabs and plenty of pin striping
Flexable people don't get bent out of shape!
Current MPG 6" to a gallon
L.O.S.T. # BL065211
www.ItAtYourHome.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:18 pm 
Master of the Blender

Yeah, he posted on here when he was in the process of working on it, but his last post was over a year ago. Here's the thread he had about his Jeep.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:29 pm 
LOST Addict

I also like this idea:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/798121

If I had a stick shift I would be tempted. Of course I would want to hook the buttons to a GE minigun and a missile launcher instead of the horn and lights, but still.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:43 pm 
LOST Addict

I had not seen it done on a KJ , But PowerBlock TV on Spike Xtreme 4x4 did it with a Toyota. They even designed it to be removed for Daily Driver mode, and re-instal come go out and play day. I like the idea of extra body protection and cutting down on Natures Racing Stripes, it would be nice to see an entire Exoskeleton surounding the entire KJ including the Urban Assult Vehicle Look :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

PIAA head light bulbs, Fog Light switched out to SilverStar 9005's
MagnaFlo Muffler, New Radiator, Rebuilt A/C system,Rebuilt Rear Diff, LBJ's twice
Dunlop 245/70-16 Rover AT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:00 am 
Master of the Blender

Not too interested in the entire exoskeleton, but something on the order of tube doors might be an neat idea. I see plenty of the older XJs running around down here with them. Maybe once I have the Jeep paid off I'll give it some more consideration. Just need to figure out how to do a quick-disconnect type thing with all the door wiring - maybe a couple of molded molex-type connectors. Hmmm...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:01 am 
LOST Junkie

ok so now i have to do this. plus it gives me a good excuse to get a front and rear bumper :twisted: it wouldnt cost me crap to do it sice i can do it all myself. i also like the idea of being able to take it off :idea: ive always liked exos and i wouldnt be afraid to roll my KJ anymore (came close way to many times!!!) im putting this on my to do list for sure and close to the top :lol:

pioneer cd/aux with Zune mounted on dash; uniden cb with 4' K40 antenna
xeon lights; grill inserts; black wheels; 245/75/16s MTRs
#1281 http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2967585/1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:35 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Exoskeleton is on my "to do" list after a engine swap.The way I want to do mine is very complex(also will look killer) and be very strong by not only tying into the F/R bumbers and rockrails it will tie the unibody into it also(at about 26 points) and 6 bars will pass from the L to the R sides(completely through the body).Will require at least 150' of 1 1/2" 0.120" walled Chromoly tubing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:54 am 
LOST Addict

tjkj2002 wrote:
Exoskeleton is on my "to do" list after a engine swap.The way I want to do mine is very complex(also will look killer) and be very strong by not only tying into the F/R bumbers and rockrails it will tie the unibody into it also(at about 26 points) and 6 bars will pass from the L to the R sides(completely through the body).Will require at least 150' of 1 1/2" 0.120" walled Chromoly tubing.

You going to mount a second 3.7L on the rear axle to help move it? :lol:

Sounds sweet....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:00 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

durangotang wrote:
tjkj2002 wrote:

Sounds sweet....
Well it won'y happen till I swap the engine for one that is much more powerful,or I'll just swap for lower gears in my diffs 8) .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:15 am 
LOST Junkie

tjkj2002 wrote:
durangotang wrote:
tjkj2002 wrote:

Sounds sweet....
Well it won'y happen till I swap the engine for one that is much more powerful,or I'll just swap for lower gears in my diffs 8) .

good idea man i cant wait to see it when u get it done. ill be sure to post pics when i get mine finished. new gears would help thats for sure!! thats on the top of my to do list that and mixing a D30 and D30a so i can have better gear choices. i think u had said something about this before Troy :?: has anyone tried it before? seems doable from what i can tell but havent really put alot of thought into it yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:47 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Quote:
mixing a D30 and D30a so i can have better gear choices. i think u had said something about this before Troy has anyone tried it before? seems doable from what i can tell but havent really put alot of thought into it yet.
I'll let you know when I get my cradle ripped out of my KJ and get some measurements to see if it is feasable,cost ways at least.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:12 am 
LOST Junkie

tjkj2002 wrote:
Quote:
mixing a D30 and D30a so i can have better gear choices. i think u had said something about this before Troy has anyone tried it before? seems doable from what i can tell but havent really put alot of thought into it yet.
I'll let you know when I get my cradle ripped out of my KJ and get some measurements to see if it is feasable,cost ways at least.

hey man that would be great thanks. i guess i could do the same when this semester is up if u havent done it by then. it might take alot of fab work but im up for it if its possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:40 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Gotta do wonders for the MPG.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:37 pm 
Banned For Abuse on LostJeeps.com

Not knocking the guy for tryin', but the exo that started this looks all show & no go. The top hoop is surely a branch-magnet, and I'd bet the rear is a little shaky, from the front-only pics posted. It looks like it is possible that the rear just loops from one side to the other? If so, at that distance from the front it would do little more than lay on the top. No mid-hoops on the sides also makes me doubt that this would really aid you in any sort of roll. To each his own, but form without function is not worthwhile, to me.

A well done exo is a great idea. Wish I could fab one myself.

A dirty Jeep is a happy Jeep

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:41 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

InCommando wrote:
Not knocking the guy for tryin', but the exo that started this looks all show & no go. The top hoop is surely a branch-magnet, and I'd bet the rear is a little shaky, from the front-only pics posted. It looks like it is possible that the rear just loops from one side to the other? If so, at that distance from the front it would do little more than lay on the top. No mid-hoops on the sides also makes me doubt that this would really aid you in any sort of roll. To each his own, but form without function is not worthwhile, to me.

A well done exo is a great idea. Wish I could fab one myself.

I noticed the same thing. He addressed that in his post where he plans to add a rear bumper and tie the exo into it. I too see it as a "Not quite there" exo. LOTS of possibilities for Uni Damage on a roll over. WHich is why you do it in the first place. I would also love to see just how much weight it does add.

Seams like the axel berrings and other stress points that are deisgned to handel a stock KJ would start to show some real issues after a while with all that weight on them. Troy, With an engine swap, exo and all the gear you have added to your KJ, have you had any issues with the axel berrings going or over stressed?

The lastes issue of Offroad Adventures magazine has a wild looking ZJ with an Exo and a Hemi swap and all kinds of stuff.

I should have gotten a CRD so I can burn french fries. Gas milage will kill any of these projects. Deisel, 4.02 per gallon national average YIKES!!!!!!

'07 Ltd 3.7L, Black, OME HD's, OME shocks, Mopar Skids, AEV Bridgers w/ TPMS, Kumho KL78's, ARB Bumper, KC 130 Watters, Warn M8000 Winch, Rock Lizard Gecko Roof Basket KC 150 watters, Cobra 75WSX, 3 ft FireFly, RL Super Step Skinks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:44 pm 
Banned For Abuse on LostJeeps.com

The CRD may be a worse option to add weight to. It is already heavier and the bearings, etc... that you mention will only take so much.

Fuel mileage, pshaw. I have not changed 1 thing in my life due to fuel prices & I think that in all honestly few people have. Heck, I am in the midst of the lift/tires thing now.

A dirty Jeep is a happy Jeep

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:29 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

the only thing I have change in my life as a result of fuel prices is that instead of getting only one case of beer per trip, when i go to the hooch store i get 3, so i don't have to go as often.

'07 Ltd 3.7L, Black, OME HD's, OME shocks, Mopar Skids, AEV Bridgers w/ TPMS, Kumho KL78's, ARB Bumper, KC 130 Watters, Warn M8000 Winch, Rock Lizard Gecko Roof Basket KC 150 watters, Cobra 75WSX, 3 ft FireFly, RL Super Step Skinks