It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:58 pm 
LOST Addict

I like the way you trimmed the bumper into the existing front facia, This of coarse give you additional avenue for future mods. Maybe placement of LED turn signals or extra fog light location. Looks great keep the posts coming.
8) 8) 8)

PIAA head light bulbs, Fog Light switched out to SilverStar 9005's
MagnaFlo Muffler, New Radiator, Rebuilt A/C system,Rebuilt Rear Diff, LBJ's twice
Dunlop 245/70-16 Rover AT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:01 am 
LOST Junkie

durangotang wrote:
I absolutely see where you are coming from with that... but in this case I don't want it to match the bumper. I am trying to see if there is a way I can replicate the old "flat fender" and still make it match up to the body of the KJ. I like the idea of a throwback to the style that doesn't curve back down in the front. After these are complete I will see if I can narrow the front bumper some to complete the look.

I did realize that it would have been easier to just replace to flares for more clearance... I just like the look of the old-school Jeeps and was hoping to incorporate that into this one.

[edit: I actually meant that I want to narrow the front bumper SKIN.... by no means do we need our actual bumper to be smaller haha]

i see that does look good. i cant wait to see these finished!! let me kow if u need any welding advice. keep up the good work. i like the bumper!! how are u going to reattach that part? looks good though!

pioneer cd/aux with Zune mounted on dash; uniden cb with 4' K40 antenna
xeon lights; grill inserts; black wheels; 245/75/16s MTRs
#1281 http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2967585/1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:36 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Its coming along but then a flare made to look like the front fender on the very first [b]prototype Bantam Reconnaissance [/b]car would be cool as well. Nice and curvy, hard to make in a way but cool none the less

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:30 pm 
LOST Addict

OK so I got a mock-up finished with the sheet metal I had lying around. I like the looks of it. Later this week I will drill some mounting holes and get some thicker metal on top of the whole thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:01 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

durangotang wrote:

Are you going to add some sheet metalto cover up the area that is exposed now that the old flare is off?

L.O.S.T. #DW090501

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:04 pm 
LOST Addict

I actually don't know what the best solution is for the inner fender area. The difficult thing would be to add sheet metal to that area and not take away from your tire clearance. I'm leaning toward undercoat/bedliner stuff for the entire area under the new fender. If anyone else has any thoughts on the matter I'm all ears.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:41 am 
LOST Addict

that's really awesome.. i'm glad to see someone doing something different!....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:56 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Could you shape some metal to cover up this area? Then use the bedliner. That way it would smooth out the area and wouldn't stand out as much.

L.O.S.T. #DW090501

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:13 am 
LOST Addict

stumbled across this while looking at the wrangler section.. i think it would look good with just undercoating/ bed lining.. or even just blacked out.. that's what this guy did.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:33 am 
LOST Junkie

man that jeep above is bad :twisted: i like!!!

i would just use a bed liner it wont stand out half as bad in black. good job on the fenders man. keep up the good work. i cant wait to see these things when they are done!

pioneer cd/aux with Zune mounted on dash; uniden cb with 4' K40 antenna
xeon lights; grill inserts; black wheels; 245/75/16s MTRs
#1281 http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2967585/1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:33 am 
LOST Member

i think we could just line-x it or whatever bedliner coating you prefer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:25 pm 
LOST Member

OK, I'm in: I have a 1947 CJ2a sitting in my garage. I've owned it for years, it used to be my daily driver. I can go take any pics you of inner fenders or measure anything else related to your project that you need.. Let me know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:13 pm 
LOST Addict

Can I have it? :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:19 pm 
LOST Addict

You may consider some form of rubberized innerfender material, increased flexibility over metal. With the modification of the fender and increase in flexibility, a metal inner fneder would restrict. Just an observation, I could be mistaken. But I think something along the lines of an innertube split and pop riveted in 4 corners would restrick splash back into the engine bay and would perform it's function an be easy to replace. I could be full of it :shock: but just looking at it from a different angle. :twisted: :twisted:

PIAA head light bulbs, Fog Light switched out to SilverStar 9005's
MagnaFlo Muffler, New Radiator, Rebuilt A/C system,Rebuilt Rear Diff, LBJ's twice
Dunlop 245/70-16 Rover AT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:23 pm 
LOST Member

durangotang wrote:
Can I have it? :shock:

Noooooooooooo :lol:

Post subject: UPDATE!!!!
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:52 pm 
LOST Addict

So today I got the final sheet metal cut and fitted. Tomorrow I have to get the mounting holes taken care of then I can finally attach the sheet metal and get the thing finished!!! I am going to try SOOOOO hard to have these done for Moab...

Thoughts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:20 am 
LOST Addict

Rush345 wrote:
You may consider some form of rubberized innerfender material, increased flexibility over metal. With the modification of the fender and increase in flexibility, a metal inner fneder would restrict. Just an observation, I could be mistaken. But I think something along the lines of an innertube split and pop riveted in 4 corners would restrick splash back into the engine bay and would perform it's function an be easy to replace. I could be full of it :shock: but just looking at it from a different angle. :twisted: :twisted:

you could do a vac form out out some heavy stock - paintable and could be easily mass produced once a pattern is created. Then use some Christmas tree clips to hold the fender in place 8)

1986 CJ7
Lots of custom stuff...

Gone, But not Forgotten...
2003 Sport - 'Fire Engine' Red
Detours KJ Backbone
Skids
Boulder Bars
JBA 4.5 A Arms
245/75/16 Wrangler Duratracs's on Cragar Soft 8’s
Spidertrax 1.25" Spacers
Superwinch LP 8500
Frankenlifted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:33 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Really looking forward to seeing the finished product. Regardless of how anyone feels about them I think an in-person view of them by multiple people will really get the ideas flowing and i Know this is a doable project if we just keep the ideas coming and keep working the issues. Not everyone is going to like them since they are such a dramatic difference but this is about trying new things on our rigs. I applaud you for diving into it.

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:16 am 
LOST Addict

callaway wrote:
Rush345 wrote:

you could do a vac form out out some heavy stock - paintable and could be easily mass produced once a pattern is created. Then use some Christmas tree clips to hold the fender in place 8)

Are christmas tree clips the black plastic things that are a pin in the @$$ to remove?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:25 pm 
LOST Member

Tough to brainstorm support you over the net...On the inside of Willy's fenders, there are stiffener mounts. In my sheet metal shop, they look like what we call "Hat Sections" and I don't know who started calling them that, but here is what the hat section's look like: picture a cross section of top hat split down the center, now take a side view look at it. These same style of stiffeners on Willy provide the inner frame work for the flat fender itself. If you had 'frame work' like this then perhaps you could fab some mounts and locate them opposite or inside near the frame somewhere and drill through to attach the hat section stiffener flanges to these mounts and to your flat fenders. The frame work will also provide structure for a place to mount the fitting of any inner fender filler sheet metal . Whew. That was like a suduko puzzle.

Again, lemmie know if pics of my Flattie Fenders will help and I'll take and post some for you as I'm trying to support you on the original Flattie look I think you're after.

Good luck,

Landy

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next