It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Stock Rock Rail Mod... need suggestions.
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:20 am 
LOST Addict

I have the factory stock Mopar rock rails that came on my 05' Renegade and they don't extend out far enough to use with a high lift jack. I tried it the other day to rotate my tires and when I put the jack under the rail on the side of my kj and begin to raise it, the inclined angle of the jeep forces the door (or side of the jeep) into the hi lift jack and would eventually dent the door and maybe even force the jeep off the jack. So now I have to extend the rails so that the hi lift can stay farther away from the kj while lifting it and thus not dent my door. I have seen on a few posts here that people are mounting the rails to the frame and the pinch weld. How exactly does the rail attach to the weld? My stock ones have a piece of steel with a rubber fitting over it that sits against the pinch weld, but nothing bolts to it. I plan on cutting the rails I have apart where the mounts attach to the round bar at the welds and then welding an extension (steel flat bar that is cut to the right size) onto the existing mount brackets and then back to the round bar. Does this make sense? I hope so. Is this a good idea? It will be super easy and cheap as all get out too. I like my rock rails, they seem tough too, especially for a stock Mopar accessory. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:42 am 
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Open the door and then use your jack, would not hit the door that way.
But are they (stock rails) strong enough to hold the whole side of the KJ up, I have seen some use the Rock rails from AllJs, Rock Lizard etc and use a hi lift on them, but they are a lot stronger, have 6 or 8 bolts through the pinch weld, 3 legs bolted to the frame so in short they are a heck of a sight stronger then the factories. I may be wrong but I am not sure if I would want to try it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:48 am 
LOST Addict

I did it. I put a jack on the front of it and the rear, both car jacks, and they were fine. No problems at all. I had all 4 tires up. I know they aren't super tough but they seems tougher than I originally thought.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:05 am 
LOST Addict

(I jacked one side up at a time, obviously, then used car jacks to hold it)

But does anyone have a pic of how the rails mount to the pinch weld? I am thinking that I want mine to do that as well. What are the benefits of it doing that vs. not?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:44 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

how do those gas tanks do on the top
thought about doing that myself but unsure about the leakability of the tanks

{Electric Stuttertone Emergency Horn}
strobe leds front and rear
2 way VHF radio (kenwood)
westin brush guard+ Hella 500's w/ 100w 3000k bulbs
back seat removed and shelf added
rolled and totaled dec 4 2010..(drunk driver)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:48 am 
LOST Addict

ga_repoman wrote:
how do those gas tanks do on the top
thought about doing that myself but unsure about the leakability of the tanks

Mine don't leak a drop. It depends on the style of ca you use. I use NATO style cans that seal like champs and there is zero leakage. With Blitz cans, there is a good chance at leaking, I used to have those but got rid of them. This is a NATO can with attached spout.
http://www.expeditionexchange.com/wedco/DCP_1748.jpg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:55 am 
LOST Addict

mine were 7 bolts through the pinch and 4 bolts through the frame of the JEEP!
also checkout phxtoad's idea...http://www.cardomain.com/ride/683398/7

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:12 am 
LOST Addict

riptricket wrote:
mine were 7 bolts through the pinch and 4 bolts through the frame of the JEEP!
also checkout phxtoad's idea...http://www.cardomain.com/ride/683398/7

I thought about fabricating some attachment to put on the jack so it will reach, but doesn't that greatly diminish the lifting capacity and can make the jack more unstable when lifting something? If not, then maybe I will go that route.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:57 pm 
LOST Addict

That's some great info. My jerry can is mounted to my bumper and when put one wheel on a curb, diesel spilled everywhere. I ordered a yellow can from the website as soon as I saw your post.

Oh and good luck with whatever this was about. :D

RL rear bumper, ARB front bumper, Mile Marker winch, Power Tank, Skids by Mopar & Skid Row, RL Super Skink Sliders, 235/85R16 MTR, Air Flow Snorkel, DTT, 4.10 gears, Frankenlift II, Katskin leather, JL Audio stereo, Rosen video.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:14 pm 
LOST Addict

JL Rockies wrote:
That's some great info. My jerry can is mounted to my bumper and when put one wheel on a curb, diesel spilled everywhere. I ordered a yellow can from the website as soon as I saw your post.

Oh and good luck with whatever this was about. :D

I got mine locally at an army surplus store. They are great. You should pick up a spout for it as well. The one I got fit too loosely so I cut some rubber washers that fit into it and snugged it up. But it is way easier to use with a spout rather than without.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:48 pm 
LOST Addict

So I fabricated some extensions for my rock rails and they seem to be great. I used 3" long 1 1/2" wide and 1/4" thick steel flat bar pieces to extend them out about 2/12", which was all I needed. The 1/2" difference between the 3" bar and the 2 1/2" change in length is due to the fact that I recessed the bar into the rock rail for added strength. I put on unearthly thick welds for extra strength and it held up without a flinch when I used my hi lift to jack up both tires on one side of my kj. I know using a hi lift is different from bashing them on top of a boulder, but I want to weld some gussets on before I put it to the boulder test. So far so good though. :)