It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 11:28 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Jayme is that also where you bought your's?

Btw; I stopped at Harbor Freight in Lombard. No dice. Said to be discontinued item.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 9:18 pm 
LOST Newbie

Another source of the Clamp-on Tee's
https://www.growerssupply.com/farm/supplies/prod1;gs1_greenhouse_building_materials-gs1_quik_klamp_pipe_fittings_5;pg105957_105957.html

Found the galvanized clamp-on tee's on McMaster for $15 bux, but while looking i found what appears to be another option...Steel Clamp-On Structural Framing System....range from 3-5 bux Thoughts?
http://www.mcmaster.com/#structural-pipe-clamps/=1xmom6

Also if i DONT bend the pipe, think i can get a rack pad wrapped around the pipe? Just trying to fab up something to hold my kayak and eliminate the foam blocks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 12:39 pm 
LOST Member

those look like a good option good find.

3 Jeeps owned
Favorite Destination Gunnison Co.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:39 pm 
LOST Member

Has anyone had any luck with finding a muffler shop that can bend the 1 3/8' top rail? I was gonna start looking for a muffler shp that would do it, but didnt wanna be wasting my time. Also, are ppl changing out the bottom bolt for a stainless steel bolt?

Installed-Frankenlifted II Premie w/ daystar spacer in rear, Tow hooks, Mopar skids, Dura-Tracs on Soft 8's, amsoil lubricants in everything, weather tech mats, RRO UCA's, RRO rock rails(bought but not installed...YET). I know I am missing something...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:45 pm 
LOST Member

yellocoyote wrote:
KJ in CO wrote:
Has anyone had any luck with finding a muffler shop that can bend the 1 3/8' top rail? I was gonna start looking for a muffler shp that would do it, but didnt wanna be wasting my time.

I didn't bother doing the bend on the rails I made. Sits closer to the roof, but no contact made - even when the basked its loaded.

I was going to put a snowboard rack on in the winter, so I need the extra clearance for the clasps, not to mention the bindings, they dont hit the roof. I was gonna use the rack in the summer for an aluminum boat. I dont think the clearance should be an issue there though.

I have seen the arguements between bending or not, dont get me into that ordeal :roll: .

Installed-Frankenlifted II Premie w/ daystar spacer in rear, Tow hooks, Mopar skids, Dura-Tracs on Soft 8's, amsoil lubricants in everything, weather tech mats, RRO UCA's, RRO rock rails(bought but not installed...YET). I know I am missing something...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:52 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I will have to say i like this type of diy crossbar but i couldn't get my hands on the end pieces and ended up goin with U-bolts and square aluminum tube and it will apparently hold 200 lbs because i stood on it today to adjust the tuner tip on my antenna and nothing budged

(yes.. i was seeing if it would break to give me an all out excuse to get an entire rack)

:wink:

Lift: ft. 790+ rr. JBA4+
The last of the TrailReady Front&Rear Bumpers and TR Rock Rails
Jarhead Offroad light covers
31x10.5R15 RedLetter Grabbers on Blackrock Dunes
L.O.S.T #KD098632

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:54 pm 
LOST Member

Also, thee write-up says that "the Clamps have hollow allen set screws I drilled through these and put 1/4- 20 ss bolts in the ones on the cross tubes." Does anyone have a pic of this when finished? What size hole am I gonna be drilling through here and i wanted to see a pic to get a good idea of what size the bolts are. I aint too familiar with bolt sizing :? .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:57 pm 
LOST Member

JeepinJarhead03 wrote:
I will have to say i like this type of diy crossbar but i couldn't get my hands on the end pieces and ended up goin with U-bolts and square aluminum tube and it will apparently hold 200 lbs because i stood on it today to adjust the tuner tip on my antenna and nothing budged

(yes.. i was seeing if it would break to give me an all out excuse to get an entire rack)

:wink:

I went and picked up the clamps today for .86 cents and they had 24 left. I was gonna post something for anyone who wanted them since they are discontinued. I think this crossbar is the best I have ever seen and especially for the price!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:02 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

i totally agree, it's right up there with INC's welded tube crossbars on his

L.O.S.T #KD098632

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:36 pm 
LOST Addict

JeepinJarhead03 wrote:
i totally agree, it's right up there with INC's welded tube crossbars on his

:wink: hard to beat $30 and $35 mods that are really useful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:45 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

yessur!!

when i bought my square stuff, cost me 40 bucks, had i realized i was gonna only do one it woulda only been like 20 :lol:

L.O.S.T #KD098632

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:01 am 
LOST Addict

JeepinJarhead03 wrote:
yessur!!

when i bought my square stuff, cost me 40 bucks, had i realized i was gonna only do one it woulda only been like 20 :lol:

Sell it to someone else and show em how it is done. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:29 am 
LOST Member

The bolt size was 1" x 1/4-20 stainless with a ss square nut inside the tube (self holding) not the set screw in photo but the one on the cross tube.Image

3 Jeeps owned
Favorite Destination Gunnison Co.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:27 pm 
LOST Newbie

Inc wrote:
I think I am going to use these as a starting point for my fuel can mounts since I am getting rid of my roof rack.
getting rid of in what fashion?

tow hooks & strap
CB
Mud
Upcoming:
1. tires and lift
2. armor!
3. rack and lights
4. other mods to fit my style.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:58 pm 
LOST Addict

TruLiberty wrote:
Inc wrote:
I think I am going to use these as a starting point for my fuel can mounts since I am getting rid of my roof rack.
getting rid of in what fashion?

That was an old post when I ran this roof rack that I made.

I am not getting rid of my current setup.

I will be adding to my rear bumper. It will have another swing away for my fuel can.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:52 pm 
LOST Member

Anyone find an easy way to bend these tubes? I actually had the day off today and tried to take full advantage of it. I went to or called a few muffler shops and no luck. Then I figured I would try to call some electric contractors and also no luck. Anybody know a cheap way to do the bend?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:02 am 
LOST Member

Not here. So far I've called a number of electrical contractors and two machine shops, and asked at the local Midas and Meineke, all said no.

1971 Dodge Challenger, 318cid, A904 Torqueflite

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:51 am 
LOST Member

kj-dec wrote:
Not here. So far I've called a number of electrical contractors and two machine shops, and asked at the local Midas and Meineke, all said no.

I was at hme depot last night tryin to come up with some ideas... They sell chicago benders there for the 1" rigid conduit. I think that will work for 1"3/8 chain link top rail?? Since the rigid conduit is measured from the inside and not the outer diameter(if that makes sense). The downside is, the bender cost around $75. If I cant find any other way to get them bent, I am for sure not goin to buy one, use it to bend a couple pipes and take advantage of their VERY liberal return policy :wink: :) . Thats just not somethin I would do. :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:44 pm 
LOST Member

Bummed.

I cut the tubes to length today. There is no way they will work without bending; even with the maximum of padding added inside the clamps to raise them up while still being able to run the through-bolt through under the longitudinals, the tube hits the roof ribs. Its possible I might even need a bit more angle than the OP did on his build.

I tried to jury-rig a bender with my shop press but there's no way that will work without proper die of adequate radius; I tried a 2" iron pipe and a 7" harmonic balancer from an old engine, all they did was start to dent the tube. No sign at all of a bend.

I hate to spend the money but maybe getting a tubing bender (there are other projects waiting down the road), or seeing if dies for them are available that I can use in the shop press is the way to go. I'll still try to find a way to get someone around here to do the work though. Maybe one of the independent places in the nearby suburbs...

1971 Dodge Challenger, 318cid, A904 Torqueflite

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:37 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I get my tubes bent on a proper bender, but the previous place I worked we bent tubes between two pieces of wood in a press brake.

Try taking a 2x6, cutting a V with a 5" or larger radius in the bottom. The sides of the V are important to push on the straights of the tubes. maybe have 6-8 inches on each side of straight. Overbend the angle by a couple degrees. I THINK this should work. Our wooden dies had radii cut in them to support the tube, but I think a small angle bend with large radius should work.

Once you cut the V, you'll have a top and a bottom of the die to put in the press. You'll probably want to stick some steel on the flat edges to handle some of the load.

Coming Soon: Rear Bumpers with lots of options

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next