It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:34 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 6:28 pm
Posts: 3915
Location: Wichita/ Pittsburg, Kansas
well if it is thats probably why its weaker, but Ive stood on just one of the roof rails when I had them and it didnt bend any and I weighed 150#, so I think they can handle more

_________________
1980 Jeep CJ7 Buggy
SOA, D44/ FF14B, SBC 350, SM465, NP205, 108" WB, 37" MTs

http://www.dpgoffroad.com/
http://www.ucora.org/
http://www.christianoffroad.com/
http://jeepinbyal.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:36 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:38 pm
Posts: 5398
Location: Biggest Little City
The rails on my renny are stout, but the plastic ends are the part I wouldn't trust too much on either model.

_________________
My Jeep Build ----> Big Black
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:15 pm 
Offline
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:23 pm
Posts: 2782
Location: The call is coming from inside the house
jsc7002 wrote:
isnt it 150# for the sport models and 75# for the renegade models


now is that with the weight being sported by the rack, or dead weight sitting those long protector things that like look like side moldings, on the roof of the jeep?

_________________
- Burchie


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:21 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 6:28 pm
Posts: 3915
Location: Wichita/ Pittsburg, Kansas
I would think the actual roof rails, I wouldnt want to try to put 150# on the roof just b/c of it being thin sheet metal, although I have been on the roof of my KJ but I did put a big dent in it where I was till I got off

_________________
1980 Jeep CJ7 Buggy
SOA, D44/ FF14B, SBC 350, SM465, NP205, 108" WB, 37" MTs

http://www.dpgoffroad.com/
http://www.ucora.org/
http://www.christianoffroad.com/
http://jeepinbyal.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:34 pm 
Offline
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:23 pm
Posts: 2782
Location: The call is coming from inside the house
So how do they buff up these racks to put heavy stuff on them. Like one of those ARB roof tents. They want it to hold some 750 lbs.

_________________
- Burchie


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:41 am 
Offline
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:49 pm
Posts: 27957
Location: NOW Southeastern Ohio/ Tanzania
jsc7002 wrote:
I would think the actual roof rails, I wouldnt want to try to put 150# on the roof just b/c of it being thin sheet metal, although I have been on the roof of my KJ but I did put a big dent in it where I was till I got off


mounting points for the ends of the rack are located on pinch weld areas stronger than say the middle of the roof where you would kneel down while up on the roof. Major weak point is the plastic ends but they do hold a bunch, now for extended periods not sure, but then I have other things planned that will hold more weight soon :wink:

_________________
MUDD'S MOTORSPORT'S We do IFS lift installs ,
03 OVERLAND EDITION /Kilby-Skidrow-Mopar-4XGuard skids/ 2.5 inch TOTAL CONTROL JBA coilovers -JBA Arms/MOABS-31 FALKEN WILDPEAK AT3W / 4.10's etc, 04 Kilimanjaro Edition loaded, plus 05 KJ limited


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:01 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 6:28 pm
Posts: 3915
Location: Wichita/ Pittsburg, Kansas
Burchie wrote:
So how do they buff up these racks to put heavy stuff on them. Like one of those ARB roof tents. They want it to hold some 750 lbs.


I thought they came with new roof rails that could support all of the weight

Quote:
mounting points for the ends of the rack are located on pinch weld areas stronger than say the middle of the roof where you would kneel down while up on the roof. Major weak point is the plastic ends but they do hold a bunch, now for extended periods not sure, but then I have other things planned that will hold more weight soon


ya I nkow Im not saying I wouldnt trust the rail to hold 150# b/c I know they would, I was saying I would trust the roof to hold 150#, and actually I try to make sure I have no weight on the roof

_________________
1980 Jeep CJ7 Buggy
SOA, D44/ FF14B, SBC 350, SM465, NP205, 108" WB, 37" MTs

http://www.dpgoffroad.com/
http://www.ucora.org/
http://www.christianoffroad.com/
http://jeepinbyal.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:05 pm 
Offline
This member has been Banned

Joined: Sat May 03, 2008 10:48 am
Posts: 524
incubusmike wrote:
I always thought it was smaller. :lol:


hey i did you know thats what she said to me last night.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:15 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:38 am
Posts: 1608
Location: Muncie Indiana
I know this is old, but I'm working on a roof basket for my 05 renegade and was doing research. This capacity thing suprised me, so I checked my digital manual. I quote:

Caution!
* To avoid damage to the roof rack and vehicle, do not exceed the maximum roof rack load capacity of 150 lbs OR 65 lbs on Renegade models. Always distribute heavy loads as evenly as possible and secure the load appropriately.

So 150# on all models except Renegades, which are 65#. Thats really low. Interpretation however could lead one to reason that it is 65# per rack bar. Either way I would think the bars could handle much more than 65# if you destributed the load. One still has to be careful with large loads on the roof due to wind issues and rollover.

I was planning on developing a great roof basket for mine. I'm still going to do it, but the 65# thing bugs me. Has anyone had any trouble with overloading the roof of a Renegade?

_________________
2005 KJ Renegade
Fabrications for sale: Aluminum Roof Rack (See Page 9)
Aluminum Gas Tank Skid -- Radiator Skid -- Front Strut Shims
Coming Soon: Rear Bumpers with lots of options


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:28 am 
Offline
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:49 pm
Posts: 27957
Location: NOW Southeastern Ohio/ Tanzania
Boiler wrote:
I know this is old, but I'm working on a roof basket for my 05 renegade and was doing research. This capacity thing suprised me, so I checked my digital manual. I quote:

Caution!
* To avoid damage to the roof rack and vehicle, do not exceed the maximum roof rack load capacity of 150 lbs OR 65 lbs on Renegade models. Always distribute heavy loads as evenly as possible and secure the load appropriately.

So 150# on all models except Renegades, which are 65#. Thats really low. Interpretation however could lead one to reason that it is 65# per rack bar. Either way I would think the bars could handle much more than 65# if you destributed the load. One still has to be careful with large loads on the roof due to wind issues and rollover.

I was planning on developing a great roof basket for mine. I'm still going to do it, but the 65# thing bugs me. Has anyone had any trouble with overloading the roof of a Renegade?


Canot say on a Rene but on my sport I have had 3 Moabs with Goodyear MTRs on them up there plus my butt and no problems, hauled the tires/wheels over 300 miles and took a hit on gas mileage but thats all, but now what I have on my roof now weighs 60 lb by itself and am sure it will hold several hundred if need be! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

_________________
MUDD'S MOTORSPORT'S We do IFS lift installs ,
03 OVERLAND EDITION /Kilby-Skidrow-Mopar-4XGuard skids/ 2.5 inch TOTAL CONTROL JBA coilovers -JBA Arms/MOABS-31 FALKEN WILDPEAK AT3W / 4.10's etc, 04 Kilimanjaro Edition loaded, plus 05 KJ limited


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com