It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: spare tire removal help
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:07 am 
JACKRABBIT
JACKRABBIT

so i took off my spare and mount...but im left with the ugly two metal bars across the 4 bolts, how do you remove these and plug the holes with??? i just dont want to rig it off

Mods:Exterior: Frankenlift + 2 extra rear iso, JBA UCAs, ARB Bumper w/XRC8, Safari Snorkel, 265/75/16 AT, Mopar Skids, Boulderbars, RL Gecko Sport Rack
Interior: Infinity Reference speakers, 12" Alpine Type R Sub, Alpine radio, Gauge Pods (Oil, Volts), Cobra Cb, All J Interior Rack

Post subject: Re: spare tire removal help
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:36 am 
Moderator / Lifetime Member

STINGN wrote:
so i took off my spare and mount...but im left with the ugly two metal bars across the 4 bolts, how do you remove these and plug the holes with??? i just dont want to rig it off

the bolts have small heads on them and you can unscrew them out of the door, plates will come off then as well, then put plugs in the holes or sometype of bolt, et

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:57 am 
JACKRABBIT
JACKRABBIT

thank you, i have been driving with the 2 ugly bars, affraid to pip off bolts

Mods:Exterior: Frankenlift + 2 extra rear iso, JBA UCAs, ARB Bumper w/XRC8, Safari Snorkel, 265/75/16 AT, Mopar Skids, Boulderbars, RL Gecko Sport Rack
Interior: Infinity Reference speakers, 12" Alpine Type R Sub, Alpine radio, Gauge Pods (Oil, Volts), Cobra Cb, All J Interior Rack

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:17 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

any ideas other than bolts to plug the holes? something a little less obvious, but not permanent?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:55 pm 

KJ kyle wrote:
any ideas other than bolts to plug the holes? something a little less obvious, but not permanent?

like I posted above plastic plugs :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:38 pm 
JACKRABBIT
JACKRABBIT

what do you use to unscrew the heads off with..they are on so tight, my dad was like (THE PAINT WILL CHIP, blah blah blah)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:08 pm 

STINGN wrote:
what do you use to unscrew the heads off with..they are on so tight, my dad was like (THE PAINT WILL CHIP, blah blah blah)

the bolts out of the door or the nuts to take the tire carrier off? I had mine off last night again and waxed behind the plates and around the bolt holes no problem at all
If its the bolts that run back into the door, little trick run one nut on backwards and another on top of it the right way, now take two 5/8 wrenches and tighten these together, with a wrench on the nut closest to the door loosen the bolt, if yours is older there may be some rust on the bolts but shouldn't be, but they should come out, steady pressure

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:28 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

STINGN wrote:
Vise Grips :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:38 pm 

tjkj2002 wrote:
STINGN wrote:

:lol: :lol: that works as well but I thought people would think I was some shade tree mechanic if I said that :wink: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:44 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

tommudd wrote:
tjkj2002 wrote:
STINGN wrote:

:lol: :lol: that works as well but I thought people would think I was some shade tree mechanic if I said that :wink: :lol: :lol:
Well those "E" torx ends on those studs like to shear off since they used more then enough tread locker on the threads about the only way is Vise Grips.I'm a shade tree/hillbilly/jerry rigging/redneck mechanic also but amazingly I found out I'm rather good at doing it the right way also,but when the right way fails watch out :wink: .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:47 pm 

tjkj2002 wrote:
tommudd wrote:
tjkj2002 wrote:
STINGN wrote:

Well those "E" torx ends on those studs like to shear off since they used more then enough tread locker on the threads about the only way is Vise Grips.I'm a shade tree/hillbilly/jerry rigging/redneck mechanic also but amazingly I found out I'm rather good at doing it the right way also,but when the right way fails watch out :wink: .

I twisted one of the tips off the very first time I took mine off, hardly put any force on it and bam, gone! Oh and I think you have all the bases covered there! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:53 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

tommudd wrote:
tjkj2002 wrote:
tommudd wrote:
tjkj2002 wrote:
STINGN wrote:

I twisted one of the tips off the very first time I took mine off, hardly put any force on it and bam, gone! Oh and I think you have all the bases covered there! :wink:
Yeah who ever invented Torx and "E" Torx should be shot,then shot again for fun :twisted: .

But back on topic I used black plastic barbed clips,got them at Advance Auto Parts in the "HELP" section,they are made for GM cars and come in a pack of 2.They are a tight fit but will not come out and you can remove them(maybe with a drill).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:46 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

which kind of clip is it? i like that a heck of a lot better than the silver bolts heads sticking out of mine.... there are soo many differant style clips i dont know which one your talking about...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:50 pm 

KJ kyle wrote:
which kind of clip is it? i like that a heck of a lot better than the silver bolts heads sticking out of mine.... there are soo many differant style clips i dont know which one your talking about...

they have them in packages just look for one that will fit back into the bolt hole, or go and tell them what size you need its simple.
I never ask size I just go look for whatever I want, but then I grew up before you could sit and ask all kinds of questions and never go out and search

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:48 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

How do you carry your spare? I just added a bike rack bolted to the spare mount, now I have my surfboard and my mountain bike always with me and oh yeah, my ladder in case there is a roof to measure. I like my tire on the back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:33 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

805gregg wrote:
How do you carry your spare? I just added a bike rack bolted to the spare mount, now I have my surfboard and my mountain bike always with me and oh yeah, my ladder in case there is a roof to measure. I like my tire on the back.

Keep it on your roof, keep it in your backseat, or just leave it at home :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:20 am 
LOST Addict

after having two flats in one week,I will never be without a spare tire! JMHO!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:25 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

riptricket wrote:
after having two flats in one week,I will never be without a spare tire! JMHO!

I wouldn't try it either, though I've only ever had a flat once, and that time I got a lift to the garage to get it fixed, didn't bother getting the spare out.... Different vehicle though

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:27 am 
LOST Addict

I really like the look of tj's kj... with the spare off, and it someone hit you, like happend to myself, they would hit m massive RL rear and not cause all of that damage that they did.
tj gotta pic of the spare off from the side?

Post subject: Re: spare tire removal help
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:04 am 
LOST Addict

Ok I am digging up an oldie. So I took off my spare and I went to AZ to pick up some caps. They didn't have any and all they had were a few packs of small ones. I did buy 2 packs which looked like they would work...but they didn't, lol. Any other ideas? :D

35" tires (thus far)
plus a ton of other things. J.E.E.P.