It is currently Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Overland KJ and trailer build
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:23 am 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:04 am
Posts: 392
Location: Anchorage, AK
WARNING: PHOTO HEAVY THREAD! Give it a moment to load.

The first four pages are of the welding school I went through. After that it's about the first bumper I've built and now that I have my own welder at home I will continue building parts for the KJ.
Might even sell some stuff to those who take interest in my future designs.
Thanks for stopping by.

So a few months ago I enrolled in a ten month long welding course.
The first 10 weeks were classroom and computer stuff to get people back up to snuff with things like Microsoft office, essays and public speaking...

Any ways the welding portion of the the class is underway and I am now on week 3 out of 5 for the initial introduction to welding. We've started off with SMAW (Shielded Metal arc welding / Stick ) and have started practicing running beads with 6010 of various sizes and 7018 started today. I used the "whipping" technique that I saw several people do on YouTube videos, seems to work well. I'll be showing what I have been welding in class and what I decide to build on my own for the Liberty sooner rather than later. I have never welded or been near anything even remotely related to welding my entire life, everything up to this point has been eye opening and stressful at times but very fun. Thanks G.I Bill!

Here is the first time I've ever welded, I was running 6010 on some scrap as shown here:
Image

Within 8-10 hours and many rods being permanently affixed ( :x ) to the metal I narrowed my 6010 to this: Image. I eventually tightened up the puddles to be more consistent with spacing but regrettably don't have a photo to "prove" I progressed! :-)r

_________________
OME 2.75" lift. JBA UCA's.
Flowmaster super 44.
BoulderBars. Home built stubby.

31X10.5 Duratracs
Yukon / Motive Gear 4.10's

Aussie Locker. Safari Snorkel.
ARB Diff Guard
Soft 8 - X7 - 4" BS


Last edited by WHITE the civilian on Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:58 pm, edited 12 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Welding School / build thread.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:51 am 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:04 am
Posts: 392
Location: Anchorage, AK
Later on during the second week I stayed after class to practice with the plasma cutter / oxy-acetylene skills I had learned that morning, I scrounged for some scrap sheet metal and cut what I thought to be six 2x2" pieces to make a cube, ... Spoiler alert - they were no where near square so I ended up grinding a lopsided square cube tube into existence. To take this dirty old girl from this: Image

To this!: Image and Image best part is I put a ball tiny bearing inside and welded it shut so it jingles when you shake it! Hahaha #GlorifiedPaperWeight

I then went all cliche and made a bear paw decoration thing. After all I do live in Alaska.
Image
After being ground down
Image

More soon. And first jeep project to be build a beefier rock slider since I was in a car accident and the existing one bent in.

_________________
OME 2.75" lift. JBA UCA's.
Flowmaster super 44.
BoulderBars. Home built stubby.

31X10.5 Duratracs
Yukon / Motive Gear 4.10's

Aussie Locker. Safari Snorkel.
ARB Diff Guard
Soft 8 - X7 - 4" BS


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Welding School / build thread.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:01 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:01 pm
Posts: 1066
WHITE the civilian wrote:
More soon. And first jeep project to be build a beefier rock slider since I was in a car accident and the existing one bent in.


You mean something like this?

Image

Image

Just finished building these haha. 3x2x3/16 square tube...anything but light...

_________________
Custom Bumper & Rock Rails-JBA 4.5" Lift-Custom 4.5" HD Springs-16x8 M13 Rims-265/75 Pro Comp MT2s-Yukon 4.56s-Front DTT-Rear OX Air Locker


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Welding School / build thread.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:27 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:04 am
Posts: 392
Location: Anchorage, AK
Those look really good Nam!, I already have rocky road sliders but I was T-Boned a few months ago in a parking lot and it bent in (center portion hit dead on at 25 mph) under my door jams. It was made of 2x2 square tube. I'll cut it off and either bend it back to shape or buy fresh steel.

_________________
OME 2.75" lift. JBA UCA's.
Flowmaster super 44.
BoulderBars. Home built stubby.

31X10.5 Duratracs
Yukon / Motive Gear 4.10's

Aussie Locker. Safari Snorkel.
ARB Diff Guard
Soft 8 - X7 - 4" BS


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Welding School / build thread.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:39 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:04 am
Posts: 392
Location: Anchorage, AK
So to finish up our third week of welding school we had our first little assignment: Image

We were told to use 7018 instead of 6010 like the paper says, so that's what I did.

First thing first I had to cut four 6X2.5" slabs of 3/8" mild steel, ground some rough edges and prepared to tack it up: Image

I had only been using 7018 for a total of 3 hours at this point and learned quickly not to whip like 6010. I was running 120 amps for all of the photos you see. Image

The was also the first time I had to weld overhead and do multiple passes: Image (it was clamped overhead but poor lighting forced me to take it down for photos)

I finished the project with a passing grade and continued running beads with 7018 again for the remainder of the class. The top plate was the best I did during the first day and the bottom plate is what I ended up with today. Image.

_________________
OME 2.75" lift. JBA UCA's.
Flowmaster super 44.
BoulderBars. Home built stubby.

31X10.5 Duratracs
Yukon / Motive Gear 4.10's

Aussie Locker. Safari Snorkel.
ARB Diff Guard
Soft 8 - X7 - 4" BS


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Welding School / build thread.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:51 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:59 pm
Posts: 5164
Location: Austin, TX
my brother did a class at the community college

later they did welds and then pulled them a part on an Instron (test machine)

if you do it right - it breaks about a 1/4" away from the weld...fun

_________________
2005 CRD
stuff
Skeptic quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Welding School / build thread.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:57 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:01 pm
Posts: 1066
WHITE the civilian wrote:
Those look really good Nam!, I already have rocky road sliders but I was T-Boned a few months ago in a parking lot and it bent in (center portion hit dead on at 25 mph) under my door jams. It was made of 2x2 square tube. I'll cut it off and either bend it back to shape or buy fresh steel.


Or you could just make new ones that are bigger, better, and t-bone/bomb/nuclear assault proof.

_________________
Custom Bumper & Rock Rails-JBA 4.5" Lift-Custom 4.5" HD Springs-16x8 M13 Rims-265/75 Pro Comp MT2s-Yukon 4.56s-Front DTT-Rear OX Air Locker


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Welding School / build thread.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:20 am 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:04 am
Posts: 392
Location: Anchorage, AK
NAMoulton1 wrote:
WHITE the civilian wrote:
Those look really good Nam!, I already have rocky road sliders but I was T-Boned a few months ago in a parking lot and it bent in (center portion hit dead on at 25 mph) under my door jams. It was made of 2x2 square tube. I'll cut it off and either bend it back to shape or buy fresh steel.


Or you could just make new ones that are bigger, better, and t-bone/bomb/nuclear assault proof.


Don't get me wrong, I've definitely thought of that. However I haven't used a pipe bender yet. I'll be learning that in a few months when we start welding pipes. I will make beefier guards at that point. I'd rather have it be professionally done (me - when I have the skill) than to waste time on it now. I'm thinking of a roof rack like the one RL sells for myself and the CVT tent I'll be ordering eventually.

More to follow when I get back to class, stay posted!

_________________
OME 2.75" lift. JBA UCA's.
Flowmaster super 44.
BoulderBars. Home built stubby.

31X10.5 Duratracs
Yukon / Motive Gear 4.10's

Aussie Locker. Safari Snorkel.
ARB Diff Guard
Soft 8 - X7 - 4" BS


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Welding School / build thread.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:08 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member & Advertising Vendor
Lifetime Member & Advertising Vendor
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:52 pm
Posts: 2179
Location: NEVADA
Lookin good White. 8)

_________________
2010 KK 4WD BRILLIANT BLACK
Fox/King/Bilstein ATH BUMPERS ATH RACK GY DURATRACS


ATHFAB.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Welding School / build thread.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:29 am 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:04 am
Posts: 392
Location: Anchorage, AK
Atthehelm wrote:
Lookin good White. 8)


:roll: ......... Great to hear that from you!

_________________
OME 2.75" lift. JBA UCA's.
Flowmaster super 44.
BoulderBars. Home built stubby.

31X10.5 Duratracs
Yukon / Motive Gear 4.10's

Aussie Locker. Safari Snorkel.
ARB Diff Guard
Soft 8 - X7 - 4" BS


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Welding School / build thread.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:40 am 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:01 pm
Posts: 1066
WHITE the civilian wrote:
NAMoulton1 wrote:
WHITE the civilian wrote:
Those look really good Nam!, I already have rocky road sliders but I was T-Boned a few months ago in a parking lot and it bent in (center portion hit dead on at 25 mph) under my door jams. It was made of 2x2 square tube. I'll cut it off and either bend it back to shape or buy fresh steel.


Or you could just make new ones that are bigger, better, and t-bone/bomb/nuclear assault proof.


Don't get me wrong, I've definitely thought of that. However I haven't used a pipe bender yet. I'll be learning that in a few months when we start welding pipes. I will make beefier guards at that point. I'd rather have it be professionally done (me - when I have the skill) than to waste time on it now. I'm thinking of a roof rack like the one RL sells for myself and the CVT tent I'll be ordering eventually.

More to follow when I get back to class, stay posted!


Tubing can definitely be pain...thankfully I've learned the bending from my job (running and installing conduit in a maze of cable ducting and more conduit haha). Take your time when you get to bending too though, rushing will just not work because coming up 2" short for a 10' stick being bent means a whole new 10' needing to be bent...

_________________
Custom Bumper & Rock Rails-JBA 4.5" Lift-Custom 4.5" HD Springs-16x8 M13 Rims-265/75 Pro Comp MT2s-Yukon 4.56s-Front DTT-Rear OX Air Locker


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Welding School / build thread.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:58 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:04 am
Posts: 392
Location: Anchorage, AK
So today in class we continued welding with 7018, we also had an assignment to complete before the end of the day. Our assignment was to cut two 6X2.5" sections out of 3/8" steel.

The goal was to make a T joint and then put three passes on both sides. Suffice to say, practice will be needed. :D

_________________
OME 2.75" lift. JBA UCA's.
Flowmaster super 44.
BoulderBars. Home built stubby.

31X10.5 Duratracs
Yukon / Motive Gear 4.10's

Aussie Locker. Safari Snorkel.
ARB Diff Guard
Soft 8 - X7 - 4" BS


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Welding School / build thread.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:00 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:04 am
Posts: 392
Location: Anchorage, AK
NAMoulton1 wrote:
WHITE the civilian wrote:
More soon. And first jeep project to be build a beefier rock slider since I was in a car accident and the existing one bent in.


You mean something like this?

Image

Just finished building these haha. 3x2x3/16 square tube...anything but light...


Could you take some close ups of your welds? Any before photos?

_________________
OME 2.75" lift. JBA UCA's.
Flowmaster super 44.
BoulderBars. Home built stubby.

31X10.5 Duratracs
Yukon / Motive Gear 4.10's

Aussie Locker. Safari Snorkel.
ARB Diff Guard
Soft 8 - X7 - 4" BS


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Welding School / build thread.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:09 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:01 pm
Posts: 1066
WHITE the civilian wrote:
NAMoulton1 wrote:
WHITE the civilian wrote:
More soon. And first jeep project to be build a beefier rock slider since I was in a car accident and the existing one bent in.


You mean something like this?

Image

Just finished building these haha. 3x2x3/16 square tube...anything but light...


Could you take some close ups of your welds? Any before photos?


All the major welds were done by a friend who has a stick welder, pretty sure it was 7018 that he was using too haha. Here's the build thread though: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=80895

Once I was the Jeep I'll take some close-ups of the welds for you.

_________________
Custom Bumper & Rock Rails-JBA 4.5" Lift-Custom 4.5" HD Springs-16x8 M13 Rims-265/75 Pro Comp MT2s-Yukon 4.56s-Front DTT-Rear OX Air Locker


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Welding School / build thread.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:58 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:04 am
Posts: 392
Location: Anchorage, AK
Alright Nam, I'll wait.. :wink:

I went in to practice some overheads today, here is my worst overhead ever!
It's partially ground down cause I forgot to remember to take a picture and it's also flipped so you can see what it would've looked like while clamped up: Image

Second best at about an hour in is this: Image

Best of the day is here: Image

I was running 7018 at 120Amps on this machine for those who are interested: Image

_________________
OME 2.75" lift. JBA UCA's.
Flowmaster super 44.
BoulderBars. Home built stubby.

31X10.5 Duratracs
Yukon / Motive Gear 4.10's

Aussie Locker. Safari Snorkel.
ARB Diff Guard
Soft 8 - X7 - 4" BS


Last edited by WHITE the civilian on Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Welding School / build thread.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:59 am 
Offline
LOST Addict

Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:34 am
Posts: 1300
Not bad for first day doing overhead.....a bit of practice you can do some cool stuff......i love me some welding Image

_________________
2002 KJ Limited 3.7, 5.25" lift via coilovers, custom HD rear springs, 32.2" tires on moabs (soon 33s) 4.56/JBA diff, OX lockers front/rear, NP241OR, Parker Fab front/rear bumpers, rock rails and roof rack, Viair OBA.

2006 KJ sport 3.7, 4" Ironman lift, 32" tires, Parker Fab front/rear bumpers and rock rails.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Welding School / build thread.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:59 am 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:04 am
Posts: 392
Location: Anchorage, AK
4x4kayak2112 wrote:
Not bad for first day doing overhead.....a bit of practice you can do some cool stuff......i love me some welding Image


Thanks for dropping by Kayak, I'm still practicing only been welding a total of 12 hours or so at this point. All the book work on metallurgy is taking up most of my time.

Is that SMAW? Or is it something else?

_________________
OME 2.75" lift. JBA UCA's.
Flowmaster super 44.
BoulderBars. Home built stubby.

31X10.5 Duratracs
Yukon / Motive Gear 4.10's

Aussie Locker. Safari Snorkel.
ARB Diff Guard
Soft 8 - X7 - 4" BS


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Welding School / build thread.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:55 am 
Offline
LOST Addict

Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:34 am
Posts: 1300
WHITE the civilian wrote:

Thanks for dropping by Kayak, I'm still practicing only been welding a total of 12 hours or so at this point. All the book work on metallurgy is taking up most of my time.

Is that SMAW? Or is it something else?


Nope GTAW using 309 filler rod at 195 amps and #9 cup, just "walking the cup".

_________________
2002 KJ Limited 3.7, 5.25" lift via coilovers, custom HD rear springs, 32.2" tires on moabs (soon 33s) 4.56/JBA diff, OX lockers front/rear, NP241OR, Parker Fab front/rear bumpers, rock rails and roof rack, Viair OBA.

2006 KJ sport 3.7, 4" Ironman lift, 32" tires, Parker Fab front/rear bumpers and rock rails.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Welding School / build thread.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:29 am 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:04 am
Posts: 392
Location: Anchorage, AK
4x4kayak2112 wrote:
WHITE the civilian wrote:

Thanks for dropping by Kayak, I'm still practicing only been welding a total of 12 hours or so at this point. All the book work on metallurgy is taking up most of my time.

Is that SMAW? Or is it something else?


Nope GTAW using 309 filler rod at 195 amps and #9 cup, just "walking the cup".


I haven't learned anything about that yet, that weld looks "pretty" though.

_________________
OME 2.75" lift. JBA UCA's.
Flowmaster super 44.
BoulderBars. Home built stubby.

31X10.5 Duratracs
Yukon / Motive Gear 4.10's

Aussie Locker. Safari Snorkel.
ARB Diff Guard
Soft 8 - X7 - 4" BS


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Welding School / build thread.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:02 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:04 am
Posts: 392
Location: Anchorage, AK
Today in class we practiced a wee bit more on 7018 overhead. I spent about a half hour trying 6010 again on some scrap, since you don't have to whip 7018 I thought it'd be a good idea.
However I overheard our instructor talk about verticals tomorrow. So I started verticals for the first time: Image 7018 / 100 Amps

Me being a tool Image

_________________
OME 2.75" lift. JBA UCA's.
Flowmaster super 44.
BoulderBars. Home built stubby.

31X10.5 Duratracs
Yukon / Motive Gear 4.10's

Aussie Locker. Safari Snorkel.
ARB Diff Guard
Soft 8 - X7 - 4" BS


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com