It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 190 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 10:21 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Mine has a small thin piece of rubber underneath and works great, just don't crank them down super tight , none of mine have pulled out at all!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 10:46 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

tommudd wrote:
Mine has a small thin piece of rubber underneath and works great, just don't crank them down super tight , none of mine have pulled out at all!

Mind telling me how thin they are?

Also, how hard would you guess they are? What kind of deflection do you get when you pinch them with your fingers? 50%? 10?

Basically however thick it starts out as minus however much you compress it is how much you can draw them up. Mine drew up about 1/16" or 3/32. I think going with 1/16 FOAM rubber that collapsed really easily would have been the ticket.

Coming Soon: Rear Bumpers with lots of options

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 10:49 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Boiler wrote:
tommudd wrote:

Mind telling me how thin they are?

Also, how hard would you guess they are? What kind of deflection do you get when you pinch them with your fingers? 50%? 10?

Basically however thick it starts out as minus however much you compress it is how much you can draw them up. Mine drew up about 1/16" or 3/32. I think going with 1/16 FOAM rubber that collapsed really easily would have been the ticket.
I used camper shell foam tape,perfect width.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 12:22 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Yeah, I've talked it over with some people and I think you're right, a nice spongy foam tape, maybe 1/16" thick, would be about perfect.

Just a note to some of you guys talking to me about doing racks for you. So far I've got one that I'm about 98% sure that I'll be doing, but the rest are still discussing it. Thats fine. I do have a week off work due to company-wide furloughs (1 week layoffs) coming up the first week in June, so we're going to be ready to crank some of these out if we have confirmed orders by June 1st.

Not a big deal either way, but we have about 100 man hours to kill that week, and you all could get your racks a little quicker if we tie up all the loose ends by then.

I'm still hoping to give a final update this weekend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 1:57 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Finally finished rack #1 last weekend. The KJ was clayed, waxed x2, and cleaned out inside. Many pics incoming! I'm now starting to build my first sale (woo hoo!) and it will have fixed welded front and rear crossbars. Will post pics soon.

Pricing for this rack
Base Rack with or without light tabs: $435 plus shipping
Front and rear welded crossbar option: $90 (pair)
Front and rear movable crossbar option: $175 (pair)
Tire mount option: in development

Wiring install kit available, price TBD. Includes formed install plate, fuse blocks, fuses, 7 relays, all wired together. Loose items include switches (unless you want to send me your "underdash"), battery cable & fuse with block, ground & accessory connections, cable & connectors for lights.

Rack with siderails level with bottom is in develpment.
Large capacity, low profile replacement siderails are in develpment.
Rock rails are in concept stages.
Skids are in concept stages.
KK items will start concept development in JULY.
Website being planned.

Connection between lights & rack:

Pigtail at rack:

Ready to mount:

Wire entry on rack:

Wire exit on rack. I went down the B pillar through a hole in the roof, under the door, and up into the underdash. Pics of wire routing not taken due to being a PITA.

Prototype baseplate for my wiring kit:

Majority of the wiring was done at the workbench...so much easier. I used all crosslink type wire, top quality stuff. 14 ga for each light conductor, 16 ga for control circuit. I jumped an accessory circuit, which switches a relay. That relay allows power from the main battery fuse panel to the smaller "accessory" fuse panel, which powers my switches and other relays. Power from the battery fuse panel goes to the individual relays for lights. 6 ga welding cable with inline 60 amp MAXI fuse goes to battery. I basically set everything up to run 100 watt bulbs + whatever I want to add in the future.

Wiring complete:

Switch location:

Switches are powered with any key position other than "off". Switches have red LED's lit when off, Green LED's lit when on.

Black hammertone powdercoat ($35):

Movable Front / Rear crossbar turned out fantastic and extra beefy / solid:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 2:57 am 

Phenomenal!

Jeep Tech Files

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 11:13 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I am envious of your wiring plate...Very neat and OEM-looking.

Might consider selling that as a individual item as many people are wiring up lots of lights and many of those who do wire up lockers gps, cb's, pc's etc....might even consider selling a version which includes the relays and the auxiliary circuit panel so that all someone has to do is just hook up a 6(4?) guage wire from the battery and a grounding strap. You would probably have to sell it at a decent price as I know it takes a while to wire all that up...but I also believe there would be people willing to do that as not everyone is into doing the electrical like you and myself.

John
];')

My Wheeling Videos :JEEPIN:
My Mods, Upgrades and Custom Fabrications

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 1:21 pm 
LOST Addict

WOW!!!! I love it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 3:23 pm 
LOST Member

love the wireing job but I was thinking light like they have in 4WD for the hood to e wrangler it looks like one big light but not and they are low pro light but those look great

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 8:53 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Kugellager wrote:
I am envious of your wiring plate...Very neat and OEM-looking.

Might consider selling that as a individual item as many people are wiring up lots of lights and many of those who do wire up lockers gps, cb's, pc's etc....might even consider selling a version which includes the relays and the auxiliary circuit panel so that all someone has to do is just hook up a 6(4?) guage wire from the battery and a grounding strap. You would probably have to sell it at a decent price as I know it takes a while to wire all that up...but I also believe there would be people willing to do that as not everyone is into doing the electrical like you and myself.

John
];')

X2

other mods coming soon...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 9:59 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

OMGsofrigginsweetican'twaittillihavetheextra$355!!! :shock:

now that i have had a chance to catch my breath. I can't wait till I get mine. I like the idea of the wiring kit. too rich for my blood though :lol:

Wanna help me wire mine up while I'm there? No fancy stuff. I just need a hand with drilling a hole in my roof/running one of those welding cables to the battery.

In reality, I plan on having all the wiring, less the wire to the roof done when I get there. How much do you want for a length of that welding cable?

Franken/Jacked
265/75 Duratracs
Skid Row Skids
RED LED Overheads and Footwells
Custom TJ Bumper
4x 100w Hellas on rack
Nokya Hi-Watt headlight bulbs
Blacked Stockers
Thrush Welded muffler
K&N Filter
Custom Boiler Rack

Soon:More Lights, ARB/Winch

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 10:10 pm 
LOST Newbie

Very nice rack you have made!
And a very sweet looking electrical panel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 12:19 pm 
JACKRABBIT
JACKRABBIT

very nice work, now, where did you get those switches those are genius

Mods:Exterior: Frankenlift + 2 extra rear iso, JBA UCAs, ARB Bumper w/XRC8, Safari Snorkel, 265/75/16 AT, Mopar Skids, Boulderbars, RL Gecko Sport Rack
Interior: Infinity Reference speakers, 12" Alpine Type R Sub, Alpine radio, Gauge Pods (Oil, Volts), Cobra Cb, All J Interior Rack

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 11:10 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Thanks for the positive feedback guys :D I slaved over this thing.

STINGN wrote:
where did you get those switches those are genius

They are just plastic switches from Radio Shack. I bought a few different ones and basically just thought these were cool....
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... Id=3125354

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 11:01 am 
LOST Addict

Looks like it turned out great. A little tall for my taste but good job none the less. The design is great, the angles are great (nothing angling out), the bolt on bars look great, the wiring is fantastic, and best yet is the KJ crowd has another place to go for some aftermarket stuff.

What will you sell the crossbars for alone? And what about the wiring?

Do you get a lot of windshield glare when you turn the lights on at night?

Again, very nicely done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 2:01 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Inc wrote:
Looks like it turned out great. A little tall for my taste but good job none the less. The design is great, the angles are great (nothing angling out), the bolt on bars look great, the wiring is fantastic, and best yet is the KJ crowd has another place to go for some aftermarket stuff.

What will you sell the crossbars for alone? $175 / pair (87.50 ea) for movable, $90 / pair (45 ea) for welded. Not exactly sure what you're asking by "alone". Or are you talking about the high capacity replacement roof rails? If so I don't have those priced out yet.

And what about the wiring? I will have to work on pricing for this. I got mine for free but...they won't be free...

Do you get a lot of windshield glare when you turn the lights on at night? I've never experienced what people mean by windshield glare. I can see the beams of light overhead but it doesn't detract from visibility in any way.

Again, very nicely done. Thanks

I think my main focus now needs to be to get a website and get all my info in one place. Tough to outline this stuff in a forums and have everyone know whats what.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 4:10 pm 
LOST Addict

Boiler wrote:
Inc wrote:
What will you sell the crossbars for alone? $175 / pair (87.50 ea) for movable, $90 / pair (45 ea) for welded. Not exactly sure what you're asking by "alone". Or are you talking about the high capacity replacement roof rails? If so I don't have those priced out yet.

I was referring to the moveable cross bars.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 10:05 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Yeah they are pretty salty. They cost us about $60 bucks each in just outsourced fabrication (machining/forming). We basically make zero dollars on them. They are really just something to sell more racks through added functionality. We'll see how long we keep that price :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 10:10 pm 
LOST Member

Geez Leweeze!!! I likey alot :D ... You better keep makin this thing, may take me a couple months to save up the loot, but she is gonna be mine! Oh yes, she will be mine! :lol:

Installed-Frankenlifted II Premie w/ daystar spacer in rear, Tow hooks, Mopar skids, Dura-Tracs on Soft 8's, amsoil lubricants in everything, weather tech mats, RRO UCA's, RRO rock rails(bought but not installed...YET). I know I am missing something...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 11:58 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Nice clean install!!! Props to you.

Wife-2008, 4x4 KK North Edition- sunroof, THULE crossbars, kayak folding J's & fairing, WeatherTech mats front, rear & cargo, 6000K HID Hi/Low & Fogs, Rock Krawler X-factor lift, BDS shocks, 255/70-16 BFG ATs, 16x8 Eagle Alloys 137's(4.625"BS)
Mine-2007.5, Dodge 6.7L Cummins 2500 4x4 LARAMIE- Too many mods to list. CumminsForum.com

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 190 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next