It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Has anyone tried a rack like this on the KJ?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:14 pm 
LOST Member

I'm thinking about seeing if this TJ/JK rack would fit on the spare tire mount for the KJ, anyone on this board ever tried that? If not I think I might want to modify it so it does. Any thoughts from anyone on suggestions if I decide to modify, things to add, subtract based on KJ off-roading experience?

Current Mods: Surco Safari Rack, K&N Filter, Curt Hitch, VR3 HU, Optima Yellow, Frankie II Prem & JBA's Gen 4.5 UCAs, Skid Row t-case skid, and more!
Coming soon:???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:18 pm 
LOST Member

Sorry,
Try this link instead:

http://www.quadratec.com/products/12036_100X_07_PG.htm

I'm still trying to get used to how we add pics/ links on this site.

Current Mods: Surco Safari Rack, K&N Filter, Curt Hitch, VR3 HU, Optima Yellow, Frankie II Prem & JBA's Gen 4.5 UCAs, Skid Row t-case skid, and more!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:26 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I never thought about that rack. Its a good idea. How old is your little one? I have twin 4 yr olds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:30 pm 
LOST Member

Wow, twin 4yr olds, they must keep you very busy :D

I have a 5 month old, I also have to four legged kids that think they're human :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:13 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I have that (or similar rack) but not tried it on a KJ yet. If i get some time I'll toss it on my wifes KJ and see what it looks like.

Only issue I see on her Jeep is the tire carrier is flipped upside down to gain clearance on the RL rear bumper and still clear the rear glass (tire is tilted down but moved upward)

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:18 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

How much good would it serve?
a extra fuel tank is about 40-50 lbs and everyone is claiming that is too much extra weight
even a larger tire like a 31 or so forum members claim wears out the tire carrier ...
So if the rack weighted in at like 10 lbs then you could carry another 20lbs maybe in the rack ??
Not trying to rain on your parade ...i think it LOOKS cool as he** but would it actually be usefull???

I have and have used my rear basket but it goes in the hitch ..useful but not as nice as that one...
good luck ..... :D :D :D :D

{Electric Stuttertone Emergency Horn}
strobe leds front and rear
2 way VHF radio (kenwood)
westin brush guard+ Hella 500's w/ 100w 3000k bulbs
back seat removed and shelf added
rolled and totaled dec 4 2010..(drunk driver)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:16 pm 
LOST Newbie

I've got one of those that fits in the trailer hitch receiver. Then a hitch insert* that places the rack at approximately eight inches below that of the spare tires center line. The rack has a five hundred pound weight limit. I have to unload the rack first then down below I pull a pin on the hitch insert* which allows the whole rack assembly to hinge down and out of the way of the lift glass and tailgate.
Very handy for Jerry cans and beer cooler. I'd put more stuff on the roof rack, but my body doesn't allow for that anymore!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:58 am 
LOST Member

ga_repoman:
yeah, that was one of my thoughts too. One of the reasons I wanted to get some feedback as to whether anyone has tried it. I don't think it would be for a ton of weight (maybe a rubbermaid tote with lightweight gear/ clothes etc), but it is nice that this model is easily removable. I have the surco rack on the roof and once I add my wife, son, two dogs, all our stuff, the inside of the Jeep and the roof rack are almost overloaded. I did see on someone's post that weight was possibly a bigger issue with the gate on the liberty and from my experience with wranglers, the rear gate seems to be stronger on those.

Ryan09:
I like that idea and it may end up being the way to go. I'm trying to keep the hitch free for recovery though and possibly doing both a hitch mount and spare tire mount (if it will work).

JJsKJ:
Any updates on the mounting?

Maybe I can reinforce the rear gate under the plastic interior panel so the weight doesn't cave in the rear gate (I don't have a welder though so it may have to be a bolt on or finding someone with a welder in the area willing to do it).

This is still just an idea though and not sure I will do it at all, I certainly appreciate all the feedback.

I also thought about the rear rack for the wranglers that mounts to the body panels (or maybe the bumbper) and it spans above the spare tire. I liked the idea, but then you can't open the lift glass. Maybe building that into a swing away tire carrier would work, but then again, that would probably be too much weight for the swing arm and bumper.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:08 am 
LOST Member

I see weight being a major issue. However, one major advantage over the hitch mount is departure angle. You could use that rack to take gear to a campsite that you wouldn't be able to reach with the hitch mount unit.

DIY Frankie Lift, BBS Rims, Aussie Locker Rear, DTT Front, Renegade Rack & Light Bar, Custom Front Bumper w/ Warn XD9000i, Custom Rear Bumper, JBA UCA's, Full Skids(Mopar, Kilby and Super skid), CRS Rock Rails, CB, EVIC, Nav, power dim mirror, (2) 8" subs under front seats. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2512777

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:29 pm 
LOST Newbie

jmichaelsjeep wrote:
I like that idea and it may end up being the way to go. I'm trying to keep the hitch free for recovery though and possibly doing both a hitch mount and spare tire mount (if it will work).

Good day,

If you go to: http://downloads.princessauto.com/?Lid=E
Catalogue Section : Truck and Trailer
Pages 344 to 410
Download this section and when done scroll down to page 361.
Top left of the page. That might be of interest for you!
I added a "Folding" hitch section to allow for access.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:47 pm 
LOST Member

Thanks for the idea, It looks like it's only rated for 4000lbs though and some on this board noted 8-10klbs of force potentially put on the hitch. That could be a failure point if I want to use it for recovery. However, if I wanted to pull a boat/trailer and additional gear, I think that would work awesome! One more thing for me to consider. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:04 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

jmichaelsjeep if you are looking at just using it for a small amount of weight then maybe
you could make it like one of those bike carriers that hook up over the top of the tire
and are made of aluminum or something light and tighten down via straps

something like this maybe http://www.allproducts.com/tool/yfy/06-bicycle_carrier-l.jpg

that way it couldnt hold alot of wieght the rack would fold before the gate got warped

just a thought :idea: :?: :idea: :?: :idea:

{Electric Stuttertone Emergency Horn}
strobe leds front and rear
2 way VHF radio (kenwood)
westin brush guard+ Hella 500's w/ 100w 3000k bulbs
back seat removed and shelf added
rolled and totaled dec 4 2010..(drunk driver)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:55 pm 
LOST Member

Thanks for the idea, I have to get some more fun money/ car money saved up and then I'm going to be splitting it between some projects for my 61 Ford and the KJ, I think something down this road may be in order. I have to get the hitch on first no matter what.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:58 pm 
LOST Addict

I recently had an old xj slide into my rear tire on a slippery track. It was a very mild bump but enough to dent inward the lower tyre mount points. If you look inside that rear gate there is not alot of structure to support more weight. I was lucky, my local dent fix guy managed to push/pull them out but my lower mount points are still slightly depressed - maybe 1/16" (and I'm now running an aluminium spacer on that mount to get my tire clearance back & I run 245/70s LTs so it is a larger heavier tire as well). Now that I know how that gate is constructed I would never hang anything off of the tire, the more weight you move rearward from the centre of the tire the more leverage you apply to the lower tire mount points which will want to rotate inward, its just too much chance for dama.