It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A/C compressor
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:06 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

has anyone converted their A/C compressor, to an air compressor to run tools / inflate tires etc.

Post subject: Re: A/C compressor
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:40 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

KJ kyle wrote:
has anyone converted their A/C compressor, to an air compressor to run tools / inflate tires etc.

It used to be done with the old two cylinder piston/ read valve type used in the 60s and 70s. On the newer rotary ones including the ones used on Jeeps, the oil circulates with the refrigerant through the AC system. You would need to devise a way to separate the oil and send it back into the intake side of the compressor.
There are some good gas powered compressors on the market that move a lot more air than the old AC compressor type used in the past on some service trucks. The service trucks used large storage tanks that would charge up on the way to the job so the Mechanic could use his air tools for small quick jobs like changing a tire.

Fuel cooler, Oil Separator, Progard 7
Gauges EGT Boost Trans Temp Oil Pres, Michelin LXT AT2 245 70 R16
7,000# Draw Tight hitch, PML EX Deep Trans Pan
Centrifuge, SunCoast, Transgo, RAM TCM, InMotion Stage 2
Wife's 99 TDI VW Beetle

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:10 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

thats kind of what i was hoping to do... put a 3-5 gallon tank in the back, and a regulator on the compressor, soo when its running it keeps the tank full.

any way to oil the compressor with an aux. line off the motor?

Post subject: Not that I am aware of
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:25 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

KJ kyle wrote:
thats kind of what i was hoping to do... put a 3-5 gallon tank in the back, and a regulator on the compressor, soo when its running it keeps the tank full.

any way to oil the compressor with an aux. line off the motor?

Engine oil is not the right type of oil. Rotary compressors use either Ester Oil or PAG (Poly Glycol) Oil. Old piston/read valve compressors used mineral oil very close to compressor oil.
I don't think the Liberty has enough Real Estate under the hood for a big old two piston/read valve type compressor, at least my CRD doesn't.
I would go with a Gasoline powered compressor, plug and play instead of plug and prey.

Wife's 99 TDI VW Beetle

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:52 am 
LOST Member

i have a 5 gal tank i fill at gas stations. I'm going to install a 12 volt compressor i just have to find some space for it. i was thinking of removing the air box and changing the intake to gain some space

2002 Liberty Sport ---> SOLD :(

For Sale: Skid Row transmission skid plate and rear headrests

ABSENCE OF EVIDENCE IS NOT EVIDENCE OF ABSENCE

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:04 pm 
LOST Junkie

warp2diesel wrote:
KJ kyle wrote:

It used to be done with the old two cylinder piston/ read valve type used in the 60s and 70s. On the newer rotary ones including the ones used on Jeeps, the oil circulates with the refrigerant through the AC system. You would need to devise a way to separate the oil and send it back into the intake side of the compressor.
There are some good gas powered compressors on the market that move a lot more air than the old AC compressor type used in the past on some service trucks. The service trucks used large storage tanks that would charge up on the way to the job so the Mechanic could use his air tools for small quick jobs like changing a tire.

Its called a York Compressor, stll available.

http://www.offroaders.com/info/tech-cor ... rd-air.htm

“Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning.”

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:47 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

LIV42DY wrote:
warp2diesel wrote:
KJ kyle wrote:

To bad it will not fit in the KJ's engine bay,kinda not a great setup either.Not enough CFM to run tools for any length of time,maybe 2-3 seconds at most before you need to let the air build up.Plus your engine needs to be running to use.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:26 am 
Lifetime Member & Advertising Vendor
Lifetime Member & Advertising Vendor

tjkj2002 wrote:

To bad it will not fit in the KJ's engine bay,kinda not a great setup either.Not enough CFM to run tools for any length of time,maybe 2-3 seconds at most before you need to let the air build up.Plus your engine needs to be running to use.

Not enough CFM?!?!

At 1000 RPM, it puts out almost 7 CFM. With a high idle adjustment/hand throttle at 2000 rpm, you get almost 14 CFM.

I had one on my TJ. Loved it. I didn't have a hand throttle before I traded, but if I needed a little extra, I would have someone hold the throttle in.

Installed another one on my JK just today actually. With the AEV ProCal, I will just have to plug in and use the dimmer switch for high idle.

The York is highly regarded as one of the better systems for OBA in a jeep.

How long can you run an impact wrench off of your powertank before it's exhausted. When I had one, seems to me that burned it up fairly quickly.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:12 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

tjkj2002 wrote:
LIV42DY wrote:
warp2diesel wrote:
KJ kyle wrote:

Just hang the York, Tucumsie, or V twin Chrysler AC compressor on top, cut a hole in the hood and cover it up with a big hood scoop that could house a Roots Blower. Better yet forget the York, Tucumsie, or Chrysler V Twin and go with a Roots type Blower, you will get lots more CFM and noise, besides you could run your jack hammer just in case the impact wrench did not work:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wife's 99 TDI VW Beetle